Trade Me by Courtney Milan

Trade Me (2015)

by Courtney Milan

Series: Cyclone (1)

9113132,676 (4)4

This was a wonderful foray into the contemporary genre by Ms. Milan! Having really enjoyed most of her historicals that I've read I was excited for this since I much prefer contemporary right now.

Things I loved include:

- Down to earth rich-guy protagonist. Just... Thank you for that.

- A female lead from a transplanted Chinese family.

- Great relationship between Blake and his father. I don't know why, but it struck me that it's rare to read those kinds of "best friends as parents" relationships in books, especially roms. Maybe because they are so easy to cast as villains?

- The mythos behind Cyclone was just so well thought out and fun to read about. The product launch stories were so creative and the one you get to read at the end fit in just perfectly. I had a huge smile on my face reading it.

- Tina's family is just amazing. Can we have more of them please? Specifically her mother? Because she sounds like an amazing woman. And thank you to this book for teaching me about Falun Gong and some of it's more recent history in Communist China. I immediately wiki'd it after finishing the book to read more about it. I love books that teach me something new about the world.

- Blake dealing with his problem in a sane way... Not a "oh look, love just cured everything" way. Again... thank you for that.

So yeah, really enjoyed this book and am looking SO forward to more in this series! ( )
1 vote GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
JAMÁS pensé que diría esto de un libro new adult, peeero a este libro le falta drama. TODO se soluciona muy fácilmente, y ¿cuál es la emoción en eso?

La historia comienza bien pero pronto perdí el interés. Tina y Blake son buenos personajes, pero a medida que avanza la historia ese mismo detalle es el problema: son demasiado buenos. ¿Creen que estoy loca por quejarme por eso? Eh, sí, tal vez. Pero prefiero personajes más elaborados, con defectos, y que a lo largo de la trama evolucionen y logren redimirse. No personajes estáticos que son igual de buenos de principio a fin.

Es casi como si a la autora le dio flojera profundizar mas en la vida de los personajes, y como consecuencia a mi me daba flojera leer. A pesar de todo eso, no puedo dejar de aplaudir a Courtney Milan por romper algunos estereotipos del genero (al fin un hombre billonario que no es un idiota dominante y que, además, ¡tiene una buena relación con su papá!) y preocuparse por hacer una historia con personajes diversos y generalmente renegados (¡la mejor amiga de Tina es transgénero!). Es una lastima que la historia sea tan poco interesante.
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
You know my blog, you know that the number of NA books I've read and enjoyed in recent years I can count on the fingers of one hand. Well, this is one of them.

When I saw that Courtney Milan, one of the goddesses of historical romance wrote a contemporary romance, and new adult at that? I was intrigued and scared. Intrigued to see what her talented fingers can do with a genre I don't like that much, scared that she'll miss her audience. That the fans of HR won't go for Trade Me, and that the fans of NA won't get her peculiar style.

I think she'll do just fine *smirks*

True to herself Milan created a spellbinding story out of the cliched, done to death elements. And damn... just damn! This was sooo good, down-to-earth, honest and heartwarming, I choked back tears when I finished Trade Me.

Tina Chen is a poor as a church mouse student who struggles to keep up with her increasingly complex studies and make enough money to help her activist mother pay the bills. So when a golden boy, son of a very rich CEO, Blake Reynolds gives his take on food stamps and poverty issues at one of their mutual lectures, she can't hold back her fury anymore. She tells him that he doesn't know sh*t and that he wont' last in her life two weeks.

Blake is running. From his dad and the huge responsibilities hoisted on him, from his own problems and from the feeling of being suffocated by Cyclone Industries. So he takes a sabbatical and goes to the university and avoids his increasingly insistent dad until a furious Chinese girl whom he's been secretly admiring tells him he is full of crap and gives him an idea of a further escape.

They will trade places, apartments and responsibilities, and maybe he'll be able to breathe more freely after all this is finished. However, the more Tina and Blake get to know each other the more they realise that their worries and their families are not that different. And while there is a wild spark between them which slowly turns into a genuine affection and warmth, both are terrified of taking it further until they vanquish their deep-rooted fears.

There is so much yummy goodness here, peeps. Rich characters (Tina simply kicks ass with her "I take no nonsense" attitude), wonderful, supporting, colourful families, the dialogues to die for no matter who talks to whom... and the social and personal growth issues touched upon by the author are huge.I was feeling like a pig in a mud wallow, I wanted to just fall into it and roll all over. It was wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

Please, read it! This will be one of the best reads of the year for me, and I can't wait to read the next book in this series. Highly recommended.

"Love is never safe," [...] "It's weird, it's magical. It's the moment when you break through the dark shell that protects your heart and say, this, this person. I'm going to let this person in, let him come so close that he can hurt me more than I can possibly imagine. I am going to let him hurt me." [...] inhales. "Love is never safe." ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
WOW I really enjoyed this book!! It has so much going on it's hard to recap but it all works really well together and definitely keeps you turning the pages. I simply couldn't put this one down. This author is new to me since she has written strictly historicals up until now but she has absolutely done an amazing job with the NA contemporary. I highly recommend it to everyone!! ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
Tina Chen immigrated to San Fransisco from China with her parents when she was six, and now she's working through college, determined to become a doctor so her parents will never have to think about money again. Blake Reynolds is the son of the billionaire head of a major tech company, and he is suffocating under his father's expectations that he will give up college and take over the company. When they end up in a heated disagreement about social safety nets in a class, Tina says Blake wouldn't last two weeks in her shoes. Blake later suggests that they change places for the rest of the semester, mostly because he hopes it will serve as an escape for him. They do. Then there are feelings.

I loved this book. Both of the main characters feel vibrant and real on the page, I wanted to know what would happen to them, and I felt pulled into their world. All that was wonderful--and pretty much a set of prerequisites for liking a romance novel-- but Trade Me surprised me at every turn. It rings so many of my "yay! diverse humans and diverse human situations" bells (poc heroine, hero with an eating disorder, transgender minor character (who will be the heroine of book two, yay!), a minor character whose domestic situation reads potentially non-heteronormative), and the treatment of the class and economic issues that arise between Tina and Blake are handled well. The realities of Tina's poverty feel accurate and scary, and her fears about becoming distracted by Blake are sharply realized. Both Tina and Blake love their parents deeply but have significant issues with them, and the resolutions to those plot threads are extremely affecting.

The book is not perfect--there's maybe a bit of hand-waving about some of the principles' concerns about being in a relationship in the end, though things feel emotionally wrapped up and the hand-waving can maybe be excused by the constraints of the genre (got to get to the HEA), especially since we're likely to see some of their relationship again in subsequent books. I also thought it was a little odd that we didn't see more of Tina in Blake's lavish apartment when they switched places. Some more details about how that felt (weird? luxurious? bizarre?) would have been great. But Trade Me was a solid, affecting, satisfying read. Recommended. ( )
  lycomayflower | Oct 21, 2015 |

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,122,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible