The Lie by C. L. Taylor

The Lie

by C. L. Taylor

English (11)  Italian (1)  All (12)
Another reading group book crashes and burns. I disliked the characters from the beginning and after the first chapter in Nepal I skim read those sections. I found the present day sections more readable but this was a really boring book which I couldn't wait to finish. ( )
  infjsarah | May 12, 2018 |
The title implies this story hinges on one big lie, but actually there are a number of lies told. ‘The Lie’ by CL Taylor is an examination of the group dynamic between four girlfriends who go on holiday together, seeking catharsis and finding horror. Before, during and after the holiday there is friction and bitching but once in Nepal they find betrayal, lies, bullying, intimidation and violence. Then five years later, the past threatens again.
The story is told in parallel – now, as Jane, who works at an animal rescue centre, receives a mysterious letter; and five years earlier, when Jane [then called Emma] went to a yoga retreat in Nepal with her friends, Daisy, Al and Leanne. When Emma starts to be suspicious of the retreat and the people who run it, it is too late to escape.
Unfortunately I didn't connect emotionally with Jane or her three friends. I found them unsympathetic at the beginning and inter-changeable, which meant it was longer before I ‘got’ the book. The age of the friends, and their partying, made this feel more like a chick-lit book than CL Taylor’s debut, ‘The Accident’. A yoga retreat in Nepal seemed an expensive place for the four of them to go, and when they arrive it is shabby and short of food: all things which set my alarm bells ringing.
It will make you never want to go on a yoga holiday.
Read more of my book reviews at http://www.sandradanby.com/book-reviews-a-z/ ( )
  Sandradan1 | Feb 15, 2017 |
The story alternates between past and present as Jane Hughes, who was Emma Woolfe five years ago until a holiday went terribly terribly wrong and not everyone made it home. Now someone is stalking her and it's upsetting her new life. She has to face up to the past to have a future.

Entertaining but the ending felt a bit rushed. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 18, 2017 |
The Lie by C.L. Taylor is about a woman with a secret in her past and the past is about to catch up with her. Jane Hughes is living in Wales, has a job she enjoys at Green Fields Animal Shelter, and is dating William Smart. But Jane has a secret and a past that she would like to forget. Unfortunately, someone does not want to let the past stay forgotten. One day Jane gets a note and it opens up the door to the past. We go back five years to Emma Woolfe. Emma and her friends (Leanne Cooper, Al Gideon, and Daisy Hamilton) are thinking about taking a vacation to get Al over her recent breakup (especially after they had to help break up at fight at a bar). The four of them have been friends for a while, but there is some tension in the group. They decide to go to Nepal and spend time at the Ekanta Yatra retreat (can only be accessed by walking). There is more to Ekanta Yatra then meets the eye. It is not quite the retreat it was made out to be. The leader, Isaac woos the women and Daisy is infatuated with him (but jealous of the attention he pays to other women). There is soon trouble within the group. Emma believes there is something wrong at Ekanta Yatra. When Emma finds out what is really going on at this place, she is ready to leave. But leaving is not as simple as it sounds. Five years into the future and it is evident that someone knows about Jane’s (aka Emma’s) past and they are coming after her. We get to see what happened in Nepal and what the person after Jane really wants. Read The Lie to see how it plays out.

The Lie sounded like such a good thriller, but it was not as exciting as it sounded. It is a dark (crude) tale that I really did not enjoy. The book contains fighting, stalking, foul language, intimate relations, drugs, drinking, etc. The book goes back and forth from the past to the present and it gets confusing. There are quite a few characters and it can be hard to keep them all straight (I just tried to focus on the main character). The pace slows down considerably in the middle of the book but picks back up near the end. Was it full of suspense and intrigue? Not so much. I did not like Jane (Emma) very much. She overreacts to everything which grew old quickly. I give The Lie 2.75 out of 5 stars (I have to admit that I being generous). It was obvious to tell was Ekanta Yatra was from the very beginning, but these idiotic girls continued to stay (even when it was obvious that there was something very wrong going on). Several parts of the story were very unbelievable (it had me yelling at my kindle). The best part of the book were the animals at Green Field’s Animal Shelter. The Lie was just not for me.

I received a complimentary copy of The Lie from NetGalley in exchange for an honest evaluation of the novel. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jun 12, 2016 |
"Your past doesn't have to define your future, not if you won't let it" is one of the messages in The Lie. Told in the first-person perspective of Jane/Emma, the story alternates fluently between the present and the past. 5 Years ago, Jane was known as Emma. She embarked on the trip of a lifetime with three female friends visiting a "retreat" in Nepal. 5 years later, she's living a secluded life in Wales, working in an animal shelter and using a different name. What happened during their time abroad and why is somebody taunting Jane/Emma now after all this time?
This was my first time reading a book by British author C.L. Taylor, and I really enjoyed it. The Lie was a very sinister and atmospheric tale of psychological suspense. At one stage, I was doubting everybody who was around Jane, completely unsure whom to trust. Jane was a very likable character, but there weren't many of those.
I thought the book was extremely good at depicting the dynamics of groups. Firstly, the female toxic friendships that were shaped by competitiveness, envy and bitterness and secondly, the group dynamics at the "retreat" in Nepal, which showed how easily people can be manipulated and how dangerous a situation can turn once a follow-the-leader environment has been established. However, there were some situations in Nepal as well as in Wales where I felt the plot was losing some credibility. Nevertheless, it was such a tense, fast-paced and provocative story, which was refreshingly different, I really liked it and will seek out more by this author.
Many thanks to Sourcebooks Landmark for my copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Pet12 | May 25, 2016 |

This was no accident... Haunting, compelling, this psychological thriller will have you hooked. Perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Daughter. I know your name's not really Jane Hughes . . . Jane Hughes has a loving partner, a job in an animal sanctuary and a tiny cottage in rural Wales. She's happier than she's ever been but her life is a lie. Jane Hughes does not really exist. Five years earlier Jane and her then best friends went on holiday but what should have been the trip of a lifetime rapidly descended into a nightmare that claimed the lives of two of the women. Jane has tried to put the past behind her but someone knows the truth about what happened. Someone who won't stop until they've destroyed Jane and everything she loves . . .… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,591,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible