Invincible (The Trident Code, #1) by Alana…

Invincible (The Trident Code, #1)

by Alana Albertson

This is the story of Pat and Annie.

Annie was a wealthy socialite of sorts, a college soccer star, a clueless young girl. She was stolen from a cruise ship and sold as a sex slave.

Pat is a career soldier, a Navy SEAL. His whole life is his job and his teammates. He never messes with relationships after finding out how bleak they can be when you're gone most of the year.

While Pat is on leave for a couple of days in a country where prostitution is legal, he visits a brothel. This is breaking the rules for US military personnel, but he prefers to pay women so it's straight sex with no chance of feelings involved. SEALs don't look like regular soldiers because they try to blend while doing undercover work so his unkept beard and rugged appearance doesn't alert anyone to his status.

After receiving oral sex in exchange for cash, the girl, who can tell something is different about him, whispers her real name and that she is not there of her own free will hoping that he will save her. Subsequently he leaves and researches her background to make sure the story is true, that she is the American girl that went missing and was presumed dead. Now, he must make a decision about what to do. There isn't time to go through the proper channels and get permission to help her so he will loose his job if caught going rogue. He must decide to act or ignore and be ready to face the consequences either way.

I am not an expert in SEALs or any branch of the military or field of the government, but the author seems to know a lot about SEALs. Rules, quotes, mantras, explanations, codes of conduct etc are intermingled throughout the story. It helped to bring the point home in certain situations. I liked this bit, when it was flat laid-out for us readers—The SEALs in those books had little resemblance to real Team guys. First off, most SEALs never ever told people what we did for a living. I would've never told Annie I was a SEAL, but I needed to make her understand I was capable of saving her. I always told everyone I met that I worked at the airport in baggage claim. Another thing, we never gave details about our missions to civilians, whether we were fucking them or not. And we sure as hell didn't leave our careers to chase women across the world. Most of the authors who wrote that crap had never even met a SEAL, let alone been fucked by one.

We also met Pat's best friends and fellow SEALs. I think the series will continue with their stories. I did enjoy reading this book. It has hot military men, danger, epiphany moments (for both Pat and Annie about the way they had been living before) and acceptance. Often I don't like one or more of the main characters in book, but I did like them both, and I appreciated watching them grow emotionally and change fundamentally.

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Wow. Great book. The depth of the characters this author created touched my soul. The way you read each point of view made the people so real. She nails the complex emotions of the couple. It's been a long time since a book gripped me so. Amazing author! ( )
  giraffkrzy | Jun 1, 2016 |
This was a really fast read for me, I actually read it in one day! Initially I found some parts to be slightly repetitive but then the pace picked up and the story moved on pretty quickly after that.

The book caught my attention for several reasons. First of all, the storyline was unique and I was intrigued by it. Second of all, I liked the fact that Patrick was a Navy SEAL. In my opinion, he was the perfect hero. I personally have a lot of admiration for our military and I loved his patriotism and his commitment throughout the book. I also found him to be very real and down-to-earth.

As far as Annie went, I didn't warm up to her until about halfway through the book. I had expected to feel sympathy for her from the start but somehow I didn't quite get there until she had recovered a bit.

Patrick and Annie's story was beautiful and inspiring, and a very entertaining read!

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  SpellboundRDR | Jun 19, 2015 |
I recieved this copy via netgalley.

After reading the blurb, I thought to myself this was going to be an excellent read.

Whilst I did like the book I didn't love it, it was a short read with a HEA ending, but I feel that it could if been more developed in a lot of places and made a bit more true to life.

I know that we all like to escape into books but I feel this could of been made a bit more realistic in some places ( )
  Obsessed-by-Books | Dec 7, 2014 |
I recieved this copy via netgalley.

Obsessed-by-Books | Dec 7, 2014 |

I’ll be honest with you—I’m no hero. Sure, the media tries to brand every Navy SEAL as some kind of Batman dressed in cammies. There’s even a line in one of our cadences: Superman is the man of steel, he ain’t no match for Navy SEAL. You’ve seen the movies—we’re infallible, invaluable, invincible. But that night, the one you read about in the papers … all I really wanted to do was get laid.

One harmless fuck with an Aruban whore, no strings attached. I picked her out of a lineup—wild, dark hair, long legs and a crooked smile. After she sucked me off, I relaxed back onto the creaky, cum-stained cot, thankful for the blissful moments she gave me when I actually forgot for a second the faces of my buddies who died because I made the wrong call, the tears of the children I couldn’t save, and the eyes of the enemies I slaughtered during their last seconds of life.

But before I left, her hazel eyes peered into my soul. She whispered in a distinct Californian accent, “My name is Annie Hamilton. I’m an American citizen. I was kidnapped on spring break five years ago. You’re my last hope. Please save me.”

One desperate plea. This wasn’t a Hollywood blockbuster or a New York Times best-selling thriller. I knew this time there was no room for excuses, no margin for errors. I had one chance to put on the cape and be her hero.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,983,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible