In Search of Lost Dragons by Elian Black'mor

In Search of Lost Dragons

by Elian Black'mor

A fearless reporter travelers through Europe, Middle East and ends up in Saigon in search of dragons.

I can honestly say that this is a book that I would love to own, just to pick up and browse through when I feel like it. Just pick a side and read the text and admire the image on the side. The problem I had with the e-book is that the text was hard to read (the kind of font that is lovely but a pain in the ass to read) and that I had some problem following the story because of the journal form. The story felt a bit confusing to read that I mostly focused on the images instead. I feel that this is a book that you should read as a hardcover, not as an e-book.

The images of the dragons are marvelous. I could actually have been satisfied with just the art and not have any text. But I'm tempted to buy this book so that I can read it slowly and really admire the images in a way I just can't do on the computer/iPad.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Who doesn't love dragons? Who wouldn't love beautiful drawings of dragons?

I enjoyed the drawings a lot. They were really beautiful and really made this book for me. It was wonderful just watching them. Unfortunately I couldn't get into the story. It's written as some kind of travelling diary which would probably not be a problem to follow if it weren't written in a type that's beautiful to watch, but almost impossible to read.

Does this mean I didn't enjoy it? Absolutely not, hence the four star rating. But I have to admit that after a while I just focussed on the pictures and left the text behind. Would recommend.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
What a beautiful book! I stumbled upon this by chance while looking at another book online, and put it a purchase request at my local library. After waiting a few books it arrived, and wow, what a beautiful book! Did I say that already? It's stunning!

In Search of Lost Dragons is an art book, designed to look like a travel journal, in which Elian Black'Mor makes multiple expeditions across Europe and Asia searching for dragons, sketching and painting along the way. Elian details his travels while sketching things of interests, but then dedicates full-page paintings to the dragons he comes across.

My main complaint is that the travelogue portion of the book, and by that, I mean the text. It's spotty a best, like a story told through a series of postcards set weeks apart during a journey. Eventually I gave up on the text. Don't get me wrong, I still read it, but I stopped trying to string the events together, and just adored the art, which is probably the reason anyone would pick this up anyway.

I'm surprised the book isn't more popular. You can tell a lot of work went into it, so the biggest disappointment is seeing how few people have discovered it. If you are reading this, I highly recommend looking into this, even if you just check it out of the library like I did. ( )
2 vote Ape | May 6, 2016 |
This book was somewhat disappointing.

It is chock full of the most beautiful artwork of dragons. I was expecting a detailed biography of all the different kinds of dragons but what I discovered was an oddly disjointed narrative that made no sense at all. It appears to be a notebook of drawings and random travel notes but I was expecting so much more.

The artwork is breathtaking and ethereal, it's just such a shame the narrative was as terrible as it was. It could have been so richly detailed but it just wasn't. It's great if you just want to look at the art and don't necessarily want a detailed story.

***Disclaimer***
I received a free digital copy of this book from Net Galley in return for an impartial review. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
To be honest, i haven't read it all as explained below but tihs is really a splendid work.

Narrated tale with beautiful illustrations

Not really a comic collection in the traditional way, this is a story told in cursive handwriting alongside beautiful illustrations – some painted, some line drawings - of the dragons in the title and the local environment. What little plot there is exists to produce beautiful illustrations. A coffee table book reminiscent of the work of Brian Froud in some respects.

Unfortunately, in the digital edition that I was reading, the small handwriting makes it difficult to read.

Created by a French team, this takes place in Brittany, Ireland and other locations and is an excellent example of how rich the “bande dessinée” genre can be.
  PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |

On the trail of dragons forgotten, an intrepid illustrator and reporter journeys from Europe through the Middle East and finally to Saigon in search of the dark caverns and mountaintop perches where the elusive winged serpents dwell. With the gift of seeing the invisible, our explorer friend records each encounter in a journal of gorgeous, fully painted artwork, capturing every majestic and fearsome visual detail of the scaly behemoths, and accompanies his findings with snippets of local lore as evidence that these hidden beasts continue to shape the world in ways we may never expect!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,804,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible