In Search of Lost Dragons by Elian Black'mor

In Search of Lost Dragons

by Elian Black'mor

A fearless reporter travelers through Europe, Middle East and ends up in Saigon in search of dragons.

I can honestly say that this is a book that I would love to own, just to pick up and browse through when I feel like it. Just pick a side and read the text and admire the image on the side. The problem I had with the e-book is that the text was hard to read (the kind of font that is lovely but a pain in the ass to read) and that I had some problem following the story because of the journal form. The story felt a bit confusing to read that I mostly focused on the images instead. I feel that this is a book that you should read as a hardcover, not as an e-book.

The images of the dragons are marvelous. I could actually have been satisfied with just the art and not have any text. But I'm tempted to buy this book so that I can read it slowly and really admire the images in a way I just can't do on the computer/iPad.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
What a beautiful book! I stumbled upon this by chance while looking at another book online, and put it a purchase request at my local library. After waiting a few books it arrived, and wow, what a beautiful book! Did I say that already? It's stunning!

In Search of Lost Dragons is an art book, designed to look like a travel journal, in which Elian Black'Mor makes multiple expeditions across Europe and Asia searching for dragons, sketching and painting along the way. Elian details his travels while sketching things of interests, but then dedicates full-page paintings to the dragons he comes across.

My main complaint is that the travelogue portion of the book, and by that, I mean the text. It's spotty a best, like a story told through a series of postcards set weeks apart during a journey. Eventually I gave up on the text. Don't get me wrong, I still read it, but I stopped trying to string the events together, and just adored the art, which is probably the reason anyone would pick this up anyway.

I'm surprised the book isn't more popular. You can tell a lot of work went into it, so the biggest disappointment is seeing how few people have discovered it. If you are reading this, I highly recommend looking into this, even if you just check it out of the library like I did. ( )
2 vote Ape | May 6, 2016 |
An illustrator journeys across most of the globe searching for dragons. In Search of Lost Dragons is the journal of his travels and his discoveries.

I can think of only one word to describe In Search of Lost Dragons: beautiful. Every page is a feast for the eyes. I do have one complaint although it is more a personal thing than an actual criticism – I received this as an ebook ARC from Netgalley (and I really have to thank Netgalley and Dynamite Entertainments for that) and although the font, which is meant to look like the scribblings of a Victorian writer, complements the art, it was, at times, very difficult for my less than perfect eyesight. Some of it I was unable to read at all and, at times, I had to put the book down to rest my eyes from the strain. But that’s just me and I suspect it wouldn’t be a problem for most people. Besides, the art is so visually stunning, the book could have been written in ancient Samarian and I would have still loved it. I would definitely recommend buying it for anyone who loves art, dragons, or graphic novels preferably in hard cover – I know I intend to because this is the kind of book that you want to be able to peruse and enjoy more than once. ( )
  lostinalibrary | May 29, 2015 |

In Search of Lost Dragons is a travel journal kept by a reporter as he travels the world in search of dragons. The journal entries are very disjointed, to the point where I thought I was missing pages in my volume, but in the end, there is something of a cohesive story being told throughout as the journalist continues his search for dragons, discovering long lost nomadic tribes and long hidden cities in the process; still, I'd have to say that the "story telling" is rambling to say the best. The art in the book, however, is gorgeous. Presented as photographs and sketches of the various species of dragons discovered on the journey, the art in this book is stunning. Just take a look at the book trailer above to see what I'm talking about. I didn't know a thing about this book, and ordered based on what I saw in that trailer, and I'm so glad that I did. The dragons are simply gorgeous.

So, what the story lacks in cohesiveness, the art absolutely makes up for it detail. This would be a great addition to a fantasy library! ( )
  tapestry100 | Feb 24, 2015 |

On the trail of dragons forgotten, an intrepid illustrator and reporter journeys from Europe through the Middle East and finally to Saigon in search of the dark caverns and mountaintop perches where the elusive winged serpents dwell. With the gift of seeing the invisible, our explorer friend records each encounter in a journal of gorgeous, fully painted artwork, capturing every majestic and fearsome visual detail of the scaly behemoths, and accompanies his findings with snippets of local lore as evidence that these hidden beasts continue to shape the world in ways we may never expect!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,618,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible