Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th…

Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy… (1992)

by Stephen E. Ambrose

Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany by Stephen E. Ambrose (fmorondo)
    With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E. B. Sledge (mjmorrison1971)
    mjmorrison1971: The second piece of work used by Hanks and Speilberg for the Pacific covering the War pretty much from where Helmet for my pillow ended. Again a first hand account that does help one understand the horrors these men endured.
    Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie (mjmorrison1971)
    mjmorrison1971: Like Band of Brothers used as the basis of Tom Hanks & Steven Speilberg's work - this time the Pacific. A first hand account of some of the US Marine Corps early campaigns in the Pacific.
    Hell's Highway: A Chronicle of the 101st Airborne in the Holland Campaign, September-November 1944 by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    The Battered Bastards of Bastogne: The 101st Airborne and the Battle of the Bulge, December 19,1944-January 17,1945 by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    Rendezvous With Destiny History of the 101st Airborne Division by Leonard Rapport (TomCat14)
    D-Day June 6 1944: the Climatic Battle of World War II by Stephen E. Ambrose (tarheel)
    D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor (tarheel)
    Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends by William Guarnere (cmbohn)
    Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides (IslandDave)
    Night Drop: The American Airborne Invasion of Normandy by S. L. A. Marshall (TomCat14)
    D-Day with the Screaming Eagles by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood by Donovan Campbell (NickBlasta)

English (72)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (74)
I so bad wanted to give this 5 stars because of the content, but beings it is history book, had I not seen the series before reading it, I would have been even more lost than I was at times.

The ending was easier for me to get through than the beginning, mainly because of all the military wording, etc. Very touching and so sad.

The main reason I read this is because of seeing the series and wanting to compare the two. In the beginning, it's fairly accurate, but towards the middle and through the end, there are a few things that were changed in the series. But the series is so good at portraying the stress and carnage these men endured. ( )
  GettinBetter | Jun 27, 2016 |
A personal, in depth history of the famed Airborne regiment, from the day it was formed until the day it was disbanded. A great tribute to the men of this unit and their amazing achievements from D-Day to the end of the war. ( )
  Karlstar | Jun 10, 2016 |
Since I had just finished HBO's 10 part series on Band of Brothers, I decided to pick up the book by Stephen Ambrose. I cashed in a B&N coupon so it didn't hurt too much. This is one time when the movie is better than the book (like the Godfather). The book does fill in details. But if you want drama watch the series. The series does involve a lot of characters so often in battle scenes it is hard to tell who is who. The series probably overstates the impact of Easy Company. I am sure they did did not win the Battle of the a Bulge. I think a guy named "General Patton" and his Third Army had a lot to do with it. I think the book is more effective in showing the skill of the German soldier. In the series the German soldiers seem to turn and run away a lot and they end up being shot in the back. As other critics have stated, the book needs a map at the beginning of each chapter. I am sorry the postage stamp map at the beginning of the book is not sufficient. The Brits don't come off too well in either the series or the book. I am sure a Brit reading this will think the USA won WW II and the Brits and the Russians were bit players. Of course, the British plan to invade Germany (called Market Garden) was a colossal failure. Ambrose aptly notes some of the reasons for the failure. ( )
  jerry-book | Apr 23, 2016 |
WWII documentaries usually really fascinate me, but for all the hype (not to mention a title from Shakespeare) I just didn't find it thrilling. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
"From this day to the ending of the World, ...we in it shall be remembered ...we band of brothers." –Henry V (William Shakespeare)
To all those members of the Parachute Infantry, United States Army, 1941–1945, who wear the Purple Heart not as a decoration but as a badge of office.
The men of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army, came from different backgrounds.
This is for the book by Stephen E. Ambrose. It is not the 2001 miniseries by Spielberg. The "Original Publication Date" is 1992, not 2001 as some users are incorrectly setting.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 074322454X, Paperback)

As grippingly as any novelist, preeminent World War II historian Stephen Ambrose tells the horrifying, hallucinatory saga of Easy Company, whose 147 members he calls the nonpareil combat paratroopers on earth circa 1941-45. Ambrose takes us along on Easy Company's trip from grueling basic training to Utah Beach on D-day, where a dozen of them turned German cannons into dynamited ruins resembling "half-peeled bananas," on to the Battle of the Bulge, the liberation of part of the Dachau concentration camp, and a large party at Hitler's "Eagle's Nest," where they drank the madman's (surprisingly inferior) champagne. Of Ambrose's main sources, three soldiers became rich civilians; at least eight became teachers; one became Albert Speer's jailer; one prosecuted Bobby Kennedy's assassin; another became a mountain recluse; the despised, sadistic C.O. who first trained Easy Company (and to whose strictness many soldiers attributed their survival of the war) wound up a suicidal loner whose own sons skipped his funeral.

The Easy Company survivors describe the hell and confusion of any war: the senseless death of the nicest kid in the company when a souvenir Luger goes off in his pocket; the execution of a G.I. by his C.O. for disobeying an order not to get drunk. Despite the gratuitous horrors it relates, Band of Brothers illustrates what one of Ambrose's sources calls "the secret attractions of war ... the delight in comradeship, the delight in destruction ... war as spectacle." --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

The story of the men who were in Easy Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne during World War II.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible