Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th…

Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy… (original 1992; edition 2001)

by Stephen E. Ambrose

Member:ckoller
Title:Band of Brothers : E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest
Authors:Stephen E. Ambrose
Info:Simon & Schuster (2001), Edition: 2nd Touchstone ed, Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:History, WWII, Non-fiction, Military

Band of Brothers by Stephen E. Ambrose (1992)

Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany by Stephen E. Ambrose (fmorondo)
    With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E. B. Sledge (mjmorrison1971)
    mjmorrison1971: The second piece of work used by Hanks and Speilberg for the Pacific covering the War pretty much from where Helmet for my pillow ended. Again a first hand account that does help one understand the horrors these men endured.
    Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific by Robert Leckie (mjmorrison1971)
    mjmorrison1971: Like Band of Brothers used as the basis of Tom Hanks & Steven Speilberg's work - this time the Pacific. A first hand account of some of the US Marine Corps early campaigns in the Pacific.
    Hell's Highway: A Chronicle of the 101st Airborne in the Holland Campaign, September-November 1944 by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    The Battered Bastards of Bastogne: The 101st Airborne and the Battle of the Bulge, December 19,1944-January 17,1945 by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    Rendezvous With Destiny History of the 101st Airborne Division by Leonard Rapport (TomCat14)
    D-Day June 6 1944: the Climatic Battle of World War II by Stephen E. Ambrose (tarheel)
    D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor (tarheel)
    Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends by William Guarnere (cmbohn)
    Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides (IslandDave)
    Night Drop: The American Airborne Invasion of Normandy by S. L. A. Marshall (TomCat14)
    D-Day with the Screaming Eagles by George Koskimaki (TomCat14)
    Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood by Donovan Campbell (NickBlasta)

English (70)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (72)
Since I had just finished HBO's 10 part series on Band of Brothers, I decided to pick up the book by Stephen Ambrose. I cashed in a B&N coupon so it didn't hurt too much. This is one time when the movie is better than the book (like the Godfather). The book does fill in details. But if you want drama watch the series. The series does involve a lot of characters so often in battle scenes it is hard to tell who is who. The series probably overstates the impact of Easy Company. I am sure they did did not win the Battle of the a Bulge. I think a guy named "General Patton" and his Third Army had a lot to do with it. I think the book is more effective in showing the skill of the German soldier. In the series the German soldiers seem to turn and run away a lot and they end up being shot in the back. As other critics have stated, the book needs a map at the beginning of each chapter. I am sorry the postage stamp map at the beginning of the book is not sufficient. The Brits don't come off too well in either the series or the book. I am sure a Brit reading this will think the USA won WW II and the Brits and the Russians were bit players. Of course, the British plan to invade Germany (called Market Garden) was a colossal failure. Ambrose aptly notes some of the reasons for the failure. ( )
  jerry-book | Apr 23, 2016 |
WWII documentaries usually really fascinate me, but for all the hype (not to mention a title from Shakespeare) I just didn't find it thrilling. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is about world war 2 one of the most brutal and destructive wars ever. This book is about E company a company in world war 2 who was one of the most important military units in the war. Its about how these soldiers have gone through some of the most intense training and gone to war and come back in one piece. In the beginning of this company's life they all went through 6 month of intense non stop training. They even set a record for fastest 500 mile run; they did it in less than a week with all the standard issue gear. in there first year in a different country it was in England in the middle of no where. They stayed there doing paratrooper training because they were paratroopers. In there first sight of combat it was storming the Normandy beaches They had to go in at mid night to get rid of as much cannons and other artillery as they could and they were successful. Its said that if they failed we would have lost that battle and potentially the war. They also had to do covert ops behind enemy lines to find and destroy Hitlers "Eagles Nest" And once again they won. This unit did the most dirty and important work of the war and is the most important group of soldiers to that war.

The reason why i liked this book is because It is the type of genre i like. This book to me was one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. This book was perfect for me it was mostly action and on a topic i like to learn about. know if anyone asks me about world war to ill give them the answer. Ill like to learn about world war to because i like history and especially war history. I hope you get a chance to read it some day. ( )
  nicholasvb1 | Jan 13, 2015 |
I watched the Band of Brothers series before knowing of the existence of this book, and I liked the HBO series so much that I decided to check the book to see if there are any more interesting facts of the WWII that were not mentioned and I must say that I'm disappointed with Ambrose's work.
While there ARE a couple of interesting facts that were not mentioned in the series, by times the book struck me as futile, racist and awfully biased. Being written by a North-American author, I already expected something tendentious and one-sided, like pretty much most of the war accounts that I have read so far, but given the way the story was portrayed in the TV series, I swear I didn't expect to find such a shallow narrative of what was really important in the whole story. The author strongly patronizes the heroic feats of the North-American Armies, but also seems to diminish the importance of every other country's participation in the war. Being born in a country that has been part of the Allies faction of the war, in a way I understand that absolutely no country would depict themselves as being "wrong", but I thought that the attitude and opinions of the author regarding the rival factions were almost dehumanizing. For an instance, the author condemns pillage, raping and the mistreating of civilians after a certain nation wins the war, but pretty much ignores the fact that the Allies did the same. The fact that there were soldiers that pillaged, raped and mistreated "enemy" civilians does not diminish the severity of these actions. It's like saying that you shouldn't be blamed to have hurt someone because other people have done a lot worse. I know that these are things that do happen in every single war in the World History and will not be so hypocrite to pretend it never happened, but I honestly don't think that these actions should be glorified in a way that "we're the better people because we did it less than other countries". (Tough to say, because I've never actually been to war, so I imagine that, at a certain point in your fighting, you've seen so many horrid things that you become psychologically inclined to do the same.)

Another thing that I found very lacking in this book and that, thankfully, the series did a lot better, is the "human" side of war, specially in the Siege of Bastogne and the part of the concentration camp. The Battle of the Bulge was, at least for me, one of the best parts of the story because of the difficulties that the soldiers had to face: lack of supplies, cold, ever increasing death toll, poor leadership... In the book, it seemed to be limited to random accounts of the survivors of the Easy Company. The concentration camp part was even worse, because the author simply did not mention how the concentration camp affected the soldiers. There is just one sentence of Winters stating "this is why we fight", making the whole cause seem shallow rather than actually giving it a purpose. I honestly doubt there was a single man in any of the Battalions, ESPECIALLY from Easy Company, that came back whole from the war after seeing what they have seen. Or feeling like a hero whatsoever.

I think I would be able to understand these bias if they came from people who have actually been through the war, but Ambrose was a historian. I'm appalled with the fact that a historian, who supposedly should have known of all the sides or war, was so partial to the US accounts. And while I did love the Band of Brothers HBO series, I don't think I would ever recommend this book to anyone. I'm surprised so many people liked it so much and didn't notice all these things. Nevertheless, I gave it three stars because it does respect the memories of the men who fought in that war, and it mentions what happened to them after the war got to an end. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
"From this day to the ending of the World, ...we in it shall be remembered ...we band of brothers." –Henry V (William Shakespeare)
To all those members of the Parachute Infantry, United States Army, 1941–1945, who wear the Purple Heart not as a decoration but as a badge of office.
The men of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, U.S. Army, came from different backgrounds.
This is for the book by Stephen E. Ambrose. It is not the 2001 miniseries by Spielberg. The "Original Publication Date" is 1992, not 2001 as some users are incorrectly setting.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 074322454X, Paperback)

As grippingly as any novelist, preeminent World War II historian Stephen Ambrose tells the horrifying, hallucinatory saga of Easy Company, whose 147 members he calls the nonpareil combat paratroopers on earth circa 1941-45. Ambrose takes us along on Easy Company's trip from grueling basic training to Utah Beach on D-day, where a dozen of them turned German cannons into dynamited ruins resembling "half-peeled bananas," on to the Battle of the Bulge, the liberation of part of the Dachau concentration camp, and a large party at Hitler's "Eagle's Nest," where they drank the madman's (surprisingly inferior) champagne. Of Ambrose's main sources, three soldiers became rich civilians; at least eight became teachers; one became Albert Speer's jailer; one prosecuted Bobby Kennedy's assassin; another became a mountain recluse; the despised, sadistic C.O. who first trained Easy Company (and to whose strictness many soldiers attributed their survival of the war) wound up a suicidal loner whose own sons skipped his funeral.

The Easy Company survivors describe the hell and confusion of any war: the senseless death of the nicest kid in the company when a souvenir Luger goes off in his pocket; the execution of a G.I. by his C.O. for disobeying an order not to get drunk. Despite the gratuitous horrors it relates, Band of Brothers illustrates what one of Ambrose's sources calls "the secret attractions of war ... the delight in comradeship, the delight in destruction ... war as spectacle." --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

The story of the men who were in Easy Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne during World War II.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible