The Gene-ish Self: An Essay on the True…

The Gene-ish Self: An Essay on the True Nature of You

561,268,033 (3.6)None

Short, easy to read essay on your genes and natural selection. Author keeps the piece humorous while still giving enough information to keep you interested. Looking forward to the book! ( )
  misscarrieb | Feb 7, 2015 |
This short essay is a somewhat in-depth look at how our genes influence our behavior. I found the essay easy to understand and follow. While I agree with the views John Khoury presents, I feel it may offend people with highly religious sensibilities, of course any book on natural selection of does that. I am looking forward to the full book.

I received this free from LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review ( )
  Unseelie918 | Feb 5, 2015 |
I received this free from LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. If this had been written as a humor piece, I might have found it more appealing. However, the overly simplistic misappropriation of evolutionary theory and evolutionary genetics in particular make this a misleading romp through pseudo-science. Genes simply code for proteins and when a mutation occurs (not because the gene wants to make anything better or worse, but because mutations occur randomly all the time) different proteins are made. If these happen to be beneficial, they may survive, if not, they may perish. As we know, some bad ones also survive. But the genes did not will anything nor did they have any "feelings" about whether the organism (us in this case) killed or nurtured other organisms.

Works like this lead to horrible misstatements such as another reviewer who believes our evolution stopped 50,000 years ago. Thus the result of this pseudo-science. ( )
  pomo58 | Jan 31, 2015 |
This essay reads like an argument with your best friend. Seriously, every paragraph has a valid point but hardly a sentence goes by that I do not feel the urge to say: "yes, but....".

The author writes with a great deal of humour and certainly tries to put some pivotal points into perspective. I think I ought to, and actually do, agree with him, yet this essay calls for a response and tries to create a dialogue to such an extent that I find myself questioning some core beliefs. It is an active read. As it stands, it is thought-provoking, and I plan to read more of the authors work and see where that will take me.

All in all? Well worth your time. ( )
  JessicaSim | Jan 29, 2015 |
I can't wait to read the book when you have got it published. I found this a very interesting essay to read and it had some humor to it so it made sure to keep my attention through out it. I just want to keep reading now. ( )
  askum | Jan 22, 2015 |

is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible