Reluctant Prince (Kingdom of Cymmera Trilogy…

Reluctant Prince (Kingdom of Cymmera Trilogy Book 1)

by Dani-Lyn Alexander

421,664,912 (4.5)None

*This book was received courtesy of the publisher. This in no way affects my opinion and review and opinion of this book.

Ryleigh Donovan, a 17 year old orphan is trying to find a job so she could retain custody of Mia, her 14 year old sister, after the death of their grandmother.

Jackson Maynard, future prince and a Death Dealer in training, whose last obstacle is to kill and retrieve Ryleigh's spirit and bring her back to his realm to fulfill a prophecy.

The storyline is quite interesting, and the characters work well together. There was an initial instant infatuation (I wouldn't call it love) that I found awkward and hope it gets explained in the next book. And also, Mia's behavior threw me off a little because sometimes she acts like a child, and then surprises you by saying something a little too mature for her age. Other than these two points, the book is very enjoyable! There is betrayal, deceit, royalty, magic, and dragons! What's not to like? ( )
  xKhuloodx | Mar 9, 2015 |
What I Thought:

I loved every moment of this book! I found myself pulled in from the moment I started it. The first pages already showed action, a love possibility and a strong female character.

The world Dani-Lyn Alaexander has created is beautiful. It is, in so many ways, similar to ours, but is so very different. I found that she really caught my attention with her choice of plot - the death of a world, which can be saved by another. Yes, this sounds like a very overused plot, but Dani has taken a bogged down, overused subject and turned it into something new and shiny. She added a new depth to it, and the results was something brilliant.

The lack of life and emotion in Cymmera and war has brought their people to Earth. They turn to using a horrid tactic to try and save their realm, but there is one amongst them who sees a potential beyond that expected of Earth. Through his eyes, we see the beginning of something. It could turn to beauty or disaster. We follow along with him, our strong female lead and her wee sister, as they live, learn and start to feel again. With the words of the wee sister, Mia, we see both worlds through a light we never would have thought possible.

I found that the characters in Reluctant Prince had depth, emotion (or lack thereof for those falling under that category) and personalities that made them real, loveable (or worthy of hate) and the descriptions of their features that made them so real I felt a part of their realms. I knew every thought and emotion and could judge their actions, as I knew them so well I could guess what reactions they might have.

The pace and plot were beautifully woven, taking me along on the journey. I was so enthralled that, before I knew it, I was at the end of their story. I am eager, almost to the point of pestering her, to know when the next instalment will hit 'shelves.'

Overall, this story was a mix of beauty, sadness, war and love. It was more addicting than most of the fantasy stories I have read. I feel this will definitely be one of the books I add to my 2015 Favourites! I highly suggest reading. As there are only light romance scenes, I feel it is appropriate for YA through to adult. ( )
  naturalbri | Jan 21, 2015 |

Seventeen year old Ryleigh Donnovan is certain her life is cursed. Nothing ever goes smoothly, and her first job interview is no exception. An earthquake rocks the building, sending Ryleigh on a frantic search for her younger sister, a search which lands her in the hospital. Terrified they'll push her for answers she can't afford to give, Ryleigh flees with a mysterious stranger. Jackson Maynard is about to be ordained as a Death Dealer, a warrior for the Kingdom of Cymmera, but first he must pass one more test. When he fails to acquire the human girl the prophet has chosen, he's forced to stand trial for treason. Banished from his realm, he seeks out the girl from the vision, Ryleigh Donnovan, and together they embark on a journey to save his dying kingdom.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,465,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible