Two Trains Running by Andrew Vachss

Two Trains Running

by Andrew Vachss

Recently added byRoBRaYLeV, ushatten, private library, Hardboiled

Once a devastated mill town, by 1956 Locke City has established itself as a thriving center of vice tourism. The city is controlled by boss Royal Beaumont, who took it by force many years ago. He ups the ante by importing a hired killer, Walker Dett, a master tactician whose trademark is wholesale destruction. ( )
  Gatorhater | Jun 26, 2013 |
I love Vachss's Burke novels, even though I had to stop reading them for a while after my kids were born (too disturbing). This one's a little bit different than the Burke books in that there are lots of characters and it's set in the recent past (1959). But it's typical of Vachss's other books in its lean prose, violence, atypical but powerful moral code, and unusual relationships. I don't think I'd say one "enjoys" a Vachss novel, but one does come away from them with a passion to do something about violence and evil.

So, anyway, if you like Vachss, you'll probably like this book. If you can't handle dark and violent, you probably shouldn't read this one. ( )
  jennyo | Mar 28, 2006 |
All I know about this book is that Martha Grimes said it's "Like a stick of dynamite tossed into hell." Well, actually, reading that quote again, she's actually talking about one of the characters in the book. All I have to say is that this is a pretty placid hell - not much of interest happens in this book. There are at least a dozen recurring characters and half a dozen different gangs or organizations fighting over various interests in the book - if only there was more actual action. Instead, it's talk here, go somewhere else, talk there, etc. etc. etc. I wouldn't mind if the plots were coherent or even relevant, but they're just not, and the whole thing fizzles out like someone cut the fuse. Vachss has written far better books than this. ( )
  frailgesture | Dec 13, 2005 |

Royal Beaumont, the corrupt crime boss who controls Altonville, a thriving center for vice tourism, finds his empire up for grabs as the town erupts into violence due to a black revolutionary movement, juvenile gangs, and hired killers.

Andrew Vachss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible