The English Spy by Daniel Silva

The English Spy

by Daniel Silva

5871916,791 (3.94)8

It is hard for me to objectively review the Gabriel Allon's books at this point. I really enjoy the characters and always love the storytelling in this series. This particular offering was not as good as others in the series. It did bring in many former side characters from the series and as always, it moved the back story of Gabriel and his family along as well. High recommended series. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Even though this is the first book of the Gabriel Allon series for me, there was enough back story woven throughout that I didn't have any problem following the plot. I think I could have got more out of the interplay between the characters, though, if I had more background on them. For what was primarily a complex spy thriller that covered everything from the Irish troubles of back in the day to the current political climate of al-Qaeda and the Kremlin, it did not skimp on character development at all. I do have one complaint but it has nothing to do with Daniel Silva's writing - it's about the audiobook version itself. George Guidall is not one of my favorite narrators and the B&N audiobook app is pure frustration. I'll be sticking with Audible and Overdrive from now on. ( )
  wandaly | Dec 4, 2017 |
Spy thrillers are not my go to genre. Therefore, when I saw The English Spy by Daniel Silva in the $2 hard cover bargain bin I almost did not buy it. Alas, the front cover caught my attention and the back cover sealed the deal. Well worth $2 and more.

The story is so well crafted and I was drawn into the web of spies and revenge from the get go. Even though I have not read any of the other books in this series, I really got into the character of Gabriel Allon. I will definitely have to read more of the books in this series.

I highly recommend this to readers of espionage/spy themed books and for those who just like a good story, you need to read this too. ( )
  purpledog | Nov 18, 2017 |
Once again I was sucked in from the first page. I find it so interesting how Daniel Silva is able to parse the real into fiction and I am always left wondering, despite the disclaimers, is it really fiction?! ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
Had to read halfway through the book until we were let in on the details of the confusing plot. Finally, after about 500 pages, the tension mounted and then...and then......it just ...ended. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Jul 10, 2017 |

"She is an iconic member of the British Royal Family, beloved for her beauty and charitable works, resented by her former husband and his mother, the Queen of England. But when a bomb explodes aboard her holiday yacht, British intelligence turns to one man to track down her killer: legendary spy and assassin Gabriel Allen"--jkt.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,728,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible