Never Die Alone (A Bentz/Montoya Novel) by…

Never Die Alone (A Bentz/Montoya Novel)

by Lisa Jackson

Twins turning 21 years old have been disappearing, only to be found brutally murdered in a seemingly ritualistic manner. Brianna, cousin of the man put in jail for the crimes, believes her cousin is innocent. When two twins she knows closely go missing the night before they turn 21, she is frantic to find them and prove her cousin's innocence, with or without the help of the police. The eighth in the New Orleans series, this was actually the first in the series I read, and it ended up working really well as a stand alone novel if you haven't read any of the series yet. I was immediately drawn into this novel and couldn't stop reading until the surprising and satisfying twists at the end. I will definitely be reading more in this series!

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
The following review may contain spoilers – Read only if it won’t spoil your reading experience

I’ve just finished reading Never Die Alone (New Orleans #8) by Lisa Jackson, the latest installment in the New Orleans series. This book is different than previous books in the series in many ways.

• There are multiple main story threads…”Father John”; the “21 killer” and “Jase’s secret/family secret”.
• Benz and Montoya seem more like secondary characters, and have less page time
• We never really get into the “21 killers” mind – we never really see or know his twisted perversion, or why he does what he does
• The “romance” portion of the book is very limited
• The book wasn’t really suspenseful, I was never on the edge of my seat or couldn’t wait to turn the page

I found that the first 2/3’s of the book were slow and didn’t always hold my attention, I was easily distracted. The last 1/3 of the book did get more exciting, and also brought resolution to one of the main threads, possible options to another threads and left the third main thread floating in the wind. There were no cliff hangers, but it evident what one of the next books in the series will be about.

Also brought to light in this book were the family issues now facing Benz (primarily) and Montoya, now that they are married and family men. Issues about their future and if the series will continue with newly introduced characters comes to my mind. So far the author has not moved down this path, as no new lead characters have been introduced.

The characters of Zoe and Chloe, were written as young girls who backed into a corner, stepped up to the plate and defended themselves once the gravity of the situation was understood. Brianna, one of the other lead female characters had a limited back-story, and other then tying many of the supporting characters together, just wasn’t a stand out character for me.

I received my copy of the book from NetGalley on behalf of Kensington Books, the expected publication date is July 28, 2015

The book was enjoyable, but I wouldn't put it at the top of my must read list. For me this was a 3 star read. I hope that future books in the series incorporate more of the dark, twisted, thoughts of the killer, and more back story on the lead characters, new to the series.

kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
audio

3 ★

Police Procedural.....Crime...... Romantic Suspense

Rick Bentz/Reuben Montoya ( )
  pennsylady | Feb 11, 2016 |
Brianna is a clinical therapist and founder of the Twinless Twins support group for people grieving the loss of a twin – she lost her own twin to drowning. When a member of the group tells her that her twin daughters have disappeared on the eve of their 21st birthday, she is convinced it is the work of a serial killer known as the 21 Killer. But this is not the killer’s usual killing grounds and besides, her own cousin was convicted for the crime and is now in prison. She is convinced he is innocent but unfortunately she’s the only one so how can she convince the police of the seriousness of the disappearance of Zoe and Chloe?

Never Die Alone by author Lisa jackson is a fast-paced, heart-pounding, adrenaline surge of a novel. The narrative is told in several voices including Brianna, Zoe, Chloe, and the killer but the quick change in ‘voice’ never becomes confusing; instead, it helps to slow things down to allow the reader to catch their breath when the pace becomes too frenetic, speeds it up before the reader can become too complacent, and helps to ramp up the suspense as it races from one scene to another. Definitely one for readers who like their thrillers fast and furious.

Trigger Warning: there are some fairly graphic scenes that some readers may find disturbing ( )
  lostinalibrary | Sep 18, 2015 |
This is the first book in this series I have read, I did not feel I needed to read the others first, it is a stand-alone novel. This one was so good; I will be reading the others.

From the first paragraphs this book is a heart stopping “full on action” murder story. A serial killer is on the loose in Louisiana and he’s having fun with twins on their 21st birthday, lots of macabre fun.

The action never lets up. It is a sit on the edge of your seat book that will make you wonder if people like this really exist, if so, God protect us. Ms. Jackson has an amazing imagination and an amazing ability with words. The plotting is fast paced and intriguing with twist and turns, don’t think you have it figured out because you will find you were wrong. The characters are full bodies; a support group for surviving twins whose director Brianna, is cousin to the man she believes wrongly convicted as the 21 Killer, the serial killers themselves, a news journalist Jase who has an agenda of his own, 2 veteran detectives Bentz and Montoya, Bentz is haunted by the serial killer Father John and he has always wondered if the 21 Killer is really in prison. Bentz was right to wonder, he has resurfaced again in Louisiana and is on the prowl plying his trade.

Ms. Jackson weaves all the pieces together to form a complete picture by the end of the book, and I was surprised, all my guessing was wrong. You will not want to put this book down it is so enthralling, murder, mystery, suspense, twists and turns, what’s not to like about this book.

Get ready for a non-stop seat of your pants ride. I highly recommend this book.

I received this book from the publisher and Netgalley in return for an opinion. ( )
  vera_mallard | Jul 23, 2015 |

Never Drop Your Guard

Never Close Your Eyes
A possibly innocent man is in prison, and Brianna Hayward needs to convince the New Orleans police. Not just to free her cousin, but to save others who will suffer until the true culprit is found. Reporter Jase Bridges is intrigued. It’s a story that could make his career—as long as Brianna never guesses the secret in Jase’s past…

…Or You’ll Never See Him Coming
Detective Rick Bentz had doubts about the “21” conviction when he worked the case in L.A. Now the real murderer may be loose in Bentz’s backyard. Twin sisters from All Saints College have vanished on the eve of their twenty-first birthday. And as Bentz and his partner, Reuben Montoya, desperately follow the trail, a killer prepares to unite his next victims in death forever…

It should be the best day of their lives. Too bad they never get to see it. On the cusp of their twenty-first birthday, he strikes. His victims are always twins, their ritualistic murders planned in exquisite detail, down to the moment when they breathe their last together. . .… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,622,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible