Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall

Sugar

by Deirdre Riordan Hall

As a little girl, Mercy’s mother caught her eating sugar out of a bag and nicknamed her “Sugar.” She and her brothers were encouraged to eat more than normal because their mother didn’t want skinny kids. As a result they grew fat, while their morbidly obese mother was confined to bed with various ailments.

Now 17 years old, Sugar cooks, cleans and cares for her mother and younger brother, while enduring cruel verbal and physical abuse from them about her weight. Constant bullying at school makes eating sweets the only thing that appeases the cruelty she experiences daily, trapping her in a vicious cycle of eating to feel better then hating herself for gaining weight.

Sugar’s life changes when she meets Even with an “e” not an “a.” Even is a senior at her high school who sees the person Sugar wishes she could be, and encourages her to come out of the shell she’s been in her whole life. As Mercy begins to blossom under Even’s kindness, the reality of her cruel world soon forces her to a crossroads.

“Sugar” was beautifully written and, at times, brought me to tears. The struggles someone who is overweight goes through are hauntingly brought to the surface, and are eye openers. It will educate readers to their sufferings, and help us see them in a whole new light.

Highly recommended for 16 and older.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2016/07/18/sugardeirdre-riordan-hall/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Jul 18, 2016 |
Wow! Deirdre Riordan Hall knows how to tear down walls and make a person see a side of things that they otherwise might not. I felt the pain behind every morsel of food that Sugar scarfed down and as the story progressed I saw her as so much more than a 'fat girl'. She was emotionally and physically abused, abandoned by her father, despised by her mother, ridiculed at school, and living a loveless life. At some point, Sugar was very real to me and I fell in love with the person who she is.

Even (the name...uhg) changes everything just by being Sugar's friend. Their relationship evolves at a natural pace, and he turns out to need her in so many ways that she needs him. I loved that Even didn't take on helping Sugar to lose weight. He simply loved her for who she is and plays a large role in the way that Sugar would lead the rest of her life.

Holy shiz!!! There is a major emotional moment that I want to share more than I have ever wanted to share a spoiler! I can't. In fact, there is so little that I can share about the details that were pieced together so cleverly by this author. The highs and lows in Sugar's life are meant to be a surprise to the reader, but the major pivotal moment had me bawling in a way that I haven't for a book in a long time and I stayed in an emotional high through the end.

My Plea to get Sugar in Schools
Schools have a wide variety of required reading, some good, some horrible. Much of it is either their for political correctness, or missing for the same reason. Sometimes teachers bring it into the classroom because of their own personal agenda. The one thing that I think that we can all agree on is that bullying and self esteem issues are a major problem in the world that we live in, and Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall is a book that every school should make room for. Taking advantage of the endless discussion opportunities, there is little doubt that this book could do what anti-bullying curriculum couldn't even begin to do. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
have the tissues handy. at first I hated the main character. she just really grinded my gears. but as the story went along I found myself being strongly protective of her, I even defended her in a heated discussion. this book really surprised me at how well I enjoyed it. ( )
  sassybrunette | Aug 11, 2015 |

Deirdre Riordan Hallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sands, TaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible