Soul Crossed (Of Demons and Angels Book 1)…

Soul Crossed (Of Demons and Angels Book 1)

by Lisa Gail Green

Timely that I am reading this
Insight into human nature
2 dead youths compete for to persuade a teen to join a side
Good vs evil ( )
  jenniebooks | Jun 16, 2016 |
This book was such a twist on the usual angels and demons storyline. It was the kind of story that almost redefines the ideas of what is evil or what is good. There are sometimes just no clear lines.

The story opens with a bang, with Josh finding himself in Hell immediately after his death. He is faced with an unexpected choice... become a demon or face eternal torture. His mission is to push a troubled boy over the edge, to push him into becoming the Antichrist. Lucifer himself gives Josh his assignment, believing it to be the End Times, his time to rule the world. Cam, his assignment, is so disturbed that it seems like an easy task. Until Grace. Beautiful, Angelic Grace. Her mission is the same, to turn Cam, but to good and to save the world from Lucifer's reign.

It was a surprisingly intense and dark read. Cam is such a disturbed kid that it was often hard to read. With Josh, he exposed his dark side, a side so dark that it deeply disturbed Josh. With Grace, you could see him try to find his good side. But it was so easy for him to explore his dark side, but his good side seemed to be a struggle, only explored because of his attraction to Grace rather than something that truly existed within him. It makes you questions the capacity for evil and motivations for good that can exist within any of us.

The characters were so amazing, whether you loved them, hated them, or were terrified of them. Who was truly evil, and who was not? Were the good always good? Were the evil unable to find redemption? The characters made you question everything. Josh made terrible mistakes when he was alive, mistakes that brought him to Hell. But was he really evil, or was he just his own victim? Even Cam... were all of his evil tendencies really only his own fault, or did his life push him in that direction?

My Recommendation: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was dark, disturbing, and intense and beautifully constructed. There was the ever eternal battle between good and evil. There was forbidden love. There was mystery and intrigue. There were happy moments and horribly sad moments. And there were so many twists and turns. A really great read! I gave it 4.5 mugs! ( )
  Kiki870 | Feb 27, 2015 |
This novel was far darker than I was expecting and so I feel that I should probably begin by warning you that it does contain some scenes of violence - particularly directed towards small animals. Bare that it mind before you decide to read it.

It is certainly a story worth sticking with this. When I first started, I found the short chapters to be somewhat jarring (especially as they often disguised time jumps) but as the plot began to get moving I soon found myself getting drawn in. Cam's increasingly psychotic behavior occasionally feels as though it goes a bit too far (he's so blatantly chaotic evil, which made me wonder how anyone thought that Grace would have a chance in making him good), it does ramp up the tension very quickly and build it to a satisfying conclusion.

However, I felt that the romantic elements did let the story down a little. While Josh and Grace are both very sweet at times, and I certainly wanted them to end up together, it just all seemed a little too cliched. Forbidden relationships between "good" and "evil" are nothing new and the frequent references to Romeo and Juliet were very heavy handed. The romance also added a layer of cheese to the ending. While I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing (as I already said, it was a satisfying conclusion), it wasn't exactly original either.

However, the characters were all a lot of fun (I particularly liked her portrayal of Lucifer), the writing is fluent and the twists are surprisingly complex. This novel is definitely a must for paranormal romance fans. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Feb 6, 2015 |

Josh lived a reckless, selfish life. So when he dies, assuming the role of a powerful, soul-corrupting Demon to escape the eternal torments of Hell is an easy choice. His first soul assignment seems like a piece of cake; the mortal Camden is already obsessed with weapons, pain, and torture. If only Josh wasn't distracted by Cam's beautiful friend, Grace. Grace never expected to die violently at age sixteen, but now she's an Angel, responsible for saving a soul. She can already see past Camden's earthly flaws, so the job should be easy. If only that handsome playboy Josh would stop getting in the way...It's forbidden for an Angel to be with a Demon, so if Josh and Grace can't resist each other, the results will be disastrous.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,427,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible