Surrender by Angela Ford

Surrender

by Angela Ford

861,035,133 (3.5)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a quick read. The story kept my attention. It is a romance / suspense story. I will look for others by her. I believe it is also available in a collection of stories.

Story line - A widow meets a narcotic officer because her husband was in a drug cartel.

More detail and length would have boosted the star rating. ( )
  LisMB | May 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Surrender by Angela Ford is a very fast read as the reader is totally rushed through this story. It seemed like it was hurry up, solve the mystery, marry the girl! I think some parts of the story could have been better explained to make this a more convincing romantic mystery. I appreciate LibraryThing allowing me to review this book. ( )
  CandyH | Apr 13, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book seemed to start in a rush. It's a short story, but I'm sure there could have been a little more detail added.
For those wanting a steamy romance, this is not it.
  sakhtar92 | Apr 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I couldn't really get into this story. The major problem for me was the heroine, Lauren. She was too much of a snob, complaining over little things such as the motel they were staying at. At that point, she should have been more concerned that someone was trying to kill her, not where they were staying or eating. She treated Brett poorly, and all he was trying to do was save her life.

Brett was probably the best character in the book. He did his best to protect Lauren, but at the same time he came across as her punching bag as well. She treated him poorly and he kept coming back for more. Honestly, I thought he deserved better.

There were also spots where the writing was choppy. It wasn't terrible, but it was enough to interrupt the flow of the story in some areas. ( )
  stacejb | Apr 11, 2015 |
Please note that this title can be purchased separately or is one of four (4) short stories in "Valentine Romance: The Best Short Story Romances" by Angela Ford, Jennifer Conner, Sharon Kleve, and Natalie-Nicole Bates. I highly recommend reading all four (4) stories - independently purchased or as a short story collection purchase - "The Best" is an accurate description!

*************
What a breathtaking story! Lauren Reynolds is not exactly the woman that you would expect to be opening the front door to a ‘Narc’ hours after she has buried her dearly loved husband John. Opening the door to Narcotics Agent Brett Donovan allows him the opportunity to tell Lauren that the explosion at her husband’s warehouse was not an accident but a murder and that someone wants her dead too!

This is definitely not the typical romantic fantasy of meeting “Mr. Right!” How is it possible that Lauren has become a widow before her first wedding anniversary? Who would expect any romantic thoughts and/or hot and sexy moments after returning home from a husband’s funeral?

The story is believable and could be plucked from today’s headlines. For this reader, it was a page-turning romantic thriller. Or, I could describe the story as a roller coaster ride to romance! I couldn’t stop reading. I loved it! First, I was captivated by the title of “Surrender”. There’s a very special “Aha!” moment for a reader when he/she realizes why the title of the book was selected. But this time, the title seems to be even more of a treasure because I felt like I had that “Aha!” moment at the beginning and then again at the end of the story. Awesome!

I loved the twists and turns – some expected but some unexpected! There’s also a very special ‘treat’ following the end of the story to help the reader create their own hot and steamy Valentine’s Day. It was powerful to the story to find the characterizations so carefully developed of Lauren, her parents, Brett, and his friend Rick. It adds to the richness of the story to find strong male and female characters. It is a story that can be enjoyed by men and women, regardless of age. The short story features parents dearly loved, male friends who are genuine and loyal to their friendships with one another, a daughter that follows her heart but doesn’t wilt in a corner with self-pity even though she questions, “Why is this happening to me?” It also features a mother that can still surprise her daughter with a few more life lessons about love and money. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Feb 8, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Angela Ford's book Surrender was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,295,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible