Once Upon a Summertime: A New York City…

Once Upon a Summertime: A New York City Romance (Follow Your Heart)

by Melody Carlson

I found this novel highly entertaining. The story is told in third person, and we learn to know Anna's likes and dislikes, her strengths and weaknesses, her dreams and her past. She has a strong work ethic which is admirable and a sense of adventure I never had. Competing with a man for a job is not that unusual, nor is what happened. That the man was Sean, her secret crush in school adds to the drama. I loved how Anna rose above the circumstances and carved a place for herself. Sean can be a jerk at times as he feels himself the better man for the job. Melody stayed true to the age of the participants and characters, and made the job and location so enticing through her use of vivid imagery, the memory of sound and feel and taste, that I want to go work for Denise and Vincent in their hotel. I certainly want to check it out when I go to New York!

I received this book free from Nuts About Books and Graf-Martin Publicity Group in exchange for an honest review. a positive critique was not required. The opinions are my own. ( )
  mbarkman | Aug 1, 2015 |
An adventure and new job in New York City for Anna. A friend tells her about a new hotel opening. But Anna does not get the management position she wanted. She did get a management position. A guy from her home town got the position. While exploring together they develop a friendship. A book hard to put down. ( )
  squiresj | Jun 20, 2015 |
I have never read a book by Melody Carlson I did not enjoy. This one will be added to the list. It was a refreshing change from historical novels. I never fail to learn something new from the books I read. When I heard of people going to school to get a degree in hotel management I never realized all the Hospitality Industry entailed professionally!
Anna Gordon is a young woman with big dreams to pursue a career she loves. She puts her plans on hold to move back to her small home town and be with her widowed grandmother. Making the best of the situation and wait or God to direct her, she gets a job managing the “Value Lodge”. The name should tell you enough! It was fraught with frustrations dealing with indifferent owners, lax employees, and outdated facilities. She feels her education and expertise is worthless there. Just when she thinks she can’t handle anymore, the opportunity of a life time opens up.
A friend arranges for her to interview for a job at a stylish, high-class, new hotel opening in New York City! She gets a job, but not as manager. Much to her disappointment, she is hired as head of housekeeping. She decides to do her very best and hopefully move up in the future. The real blow to her comes when she finds out that Sean O’Neil is the new manager. He is an old crush of hers from high school. Still drawn to him, she struggles to maintain a professional attitude and relationship. Much to her surprise, he is very interested in more.
That wasn’t the only adjustment she faced. It was quite a change from her little community to bustling New York City! I have never been to the Big Apple, but I feel like I got a mini trip their through Anna! Ms. Carlson made the sights and sounds so real. I especially liked her descriptiveness of the hotel and Anna’s first apartment. This is a fun book, and such a sweet story of romance. An added bonus is a sneak peek at the author’s next book in her “Follow Your Heart” series. I can’t wait to read it too!
I received a copy of this book from Revell's Blog Tour Program for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Jun 19, 2015 |
This is a true blue romance. I usually like a bit of suspense mixed in to my romances but for some reason I could not put this one down. This is about Anna Gordan who wants a better job than the one she has in her hometown. All of a sudden she gets fired and than gets a new job offer on New York City. Here she meets a guy from her hometown who she hasn't seen in years. His name is Sean O'Neil. He becomes her coworker and there is to be no romances between coworkers at this boutique hotel. Very romantic and sweet. I could not put it down until I learned how they could stay together. I received this book through Revell reads for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jun 14, 2015 |
This is a good story about a small town girl moving to the big city. Anna must work at reinventing herself and moves to do so. While there she meets up with an old friend and reconnects. I liked seeing how Anna adjusted to this new situation and am not sure how I would react moving to such a big city. I like small town living.
I received this book free to review from the publisher. ( )
  polarmath | Jun 13, 2015 |

Managing the Value Lodge in her hometown was not what Anna Gordon had in mind when she set out in the hospitality industry. But it's a safe choice for a woman whose childhood was anything but stable. Out of the blue, she gets a once-in-a-lifetime chance to reinvent herself by moving to New York City, where she hopes for a management position at a stylish new boutique hotel. The big city is full of surprises--not the least of which is Sean O'Neil. Her childhood crush has applied for the very same position!

Sweet, romantic, and endlessly entertaining, this romp through the storied streets of New York City will enchant readers. Melody Carlson has created characters so charming that readers will long to meet them in the lobby of the stunning Rothsberg Hotel.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:15:42 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,008,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible