Five Brides by Eva Marie Everson

Five Brides

by Eva Marie Everson

Not the typical historical period that I read, but insightful into an era of hats and gloves and proper etiquette.
Five roommates pull their money to share the purchase of a wedding dress, even though two out of the five had no one in mind and the other three hadn't been asked.

Not your typical read about knowing who marries who from the first page---kept me wondering and wishing for certain things to happen.

Although a touch of faith, church and God, and a reference to the faith and belief of their parents, I hesitate to label it "Christian." The belief was not a life changing action but just a parental expectation and a societal acceptance, which seems to be the trend in "Christian" fiction now, but disappointing.

The detailed description became annoying (describing what they wore and ate every time a meal was mentioned) were sections I started skipping. Some helped set the setting, the time era, etc, but every time was a bit much.

I enjoyed the different time period. ( )
  Sonya.Contreras | May 21, 2017 |
This book was very interesting. The concept was very unique. The story was well written but the execution could have been better. It is a long book, which is fine, but too much time was devoted to events before the dress is even purchased. This seems to have caused the end of the book to be lacking in detail. I would much have preferred more details about the weddings than what the girls were doing up until those weddings. Especially a little of how they did AFTER the weddings would have been great. But, I guess that leaves room for a follow-up book. The characters were well developed. The story flowed well. The writer focused on Christianity from several view points. Not everyone in the book was a Christian and that is how life is. I would highly recommend this book. This book was given to me in exchange for my honest review ( )
  grammy57 | Oct 4, 2015 |
I received a copy of this book from bookfun.org and Tyndale Publishing for an honest review

The book is about five very independent women finding themselves as roommates in an apartment. They all come from different backgrounds, but share a common goal. They are each wanting to make it in the big city of Chicago in the 50's. The arrangement is a perfect fit for everyone. Each woman seems to have different schedules and hardly see each other.

On one particular day, they found themselves off work at the same time . They decide to go on an adventure and explore downtown. They discover an exquisite wedding dress expertly displayed in the window of a shop. They are drawn to this dress and soon find themselves in the store. As each one tries on the dress, they know they must have it. I chuckled a bit as I read that each woman was willing to put in their amount in order to purchase the dress and share it. That idea I thought was a perfect setup for a story that would take me through the friendship, heartaches , romances and possible weddings of each woman.

The author develops the characterswith such grace as she writes about their strengths and weaknesses, which made me enjoy reading about each one. Will they each be able to share that special dress? Can it make their wedding special , knowing that someone else had worn it? I loved the journey the author takes the reader on as we get a closer look as each woman and how the dress would come to be a part of their journey. Do they all wear the dress and get married?

I found the book to be very entertaining and was impressed with the details the author used in giving us a taste of what it was like in the 50's. Thank you for letting us follow each woman as they made memories and how one dress and five women made an unforgettable story come to life. ( )
  Harley0326 | Sep 4, 2015 |

"Five single, fiercely independent women live together in a Chicago apartment in the early 1950s but rarely see one another. One Saturday afternoon, as they are serendipitously together downtown, they spy a wedding dress in a storefront window at the famous Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. After trying it on--much to the dismay of the salesclerk and without a single boyfriend or date between the five of them--they decide to pool their money to purchase it. Can one dress forever connect five women who live together only a short time before taking their own journeys to love and whatever comes happily ever after?"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,693,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible