Claimed by Sarah Fine

Interesting take on Fairies and Carrion and their relation to death. Lots of drama. Explicit content. Lack of trust. Plenty of conflict and death. Story held my attention from the beginning. Good character, storyline, and plot. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
Set in the distant future after storms around the world have seriously changed the landscape, the weather and the availability for food and water, a lot of people are dying from disease. There are two businesses that make a great deal of money on death. The Keres, lead by Moros who is a brother of the Fates, has the job of marking individuals when it is there time to die. The Ker doing the marking gets to choose how that person will die. The other is from the Ferry family who guides the soul to cross over in one direction or the other. The family has turned this business into a huge empire.

So it’s not so surprising when someone is ready to do whatever they can to prevent Dr Galena Margolis, who has just started human trials on a vaccine that will cut the number of yearly deaths by one third, from succeeding. And the best way to protect her after the second attempt on her life is to make her immortal by means of joining with a Ferry.

The world building and back story get bigger as are the threats this time around. I like the world and situations that have been created, although I definitely wouldn’t want to live there. We’ve got a mystery that while the questions are answered; an even larger issue is uncovered which takes us into the next book. The story gets intense and there is plenty of action.

Both Galena and Declan are very likable and strong characters and together they make a great a couple. Wow, who wouldn’t want a guy like Dec? But the romance aspect fell somewhat short for me, partly due to the amount of time spent on Galena facing and letting go of baggage she’s carrying.

I enjoyed the story, but not quite as much as I did with the first book, Marked. But with the new bigger threat in the back story, I will definitely be getting the next book. ( )
  dearheart | Apr 4, 2015 |
Claimed by Sarah Fine is the second book of Servants of Fate series. Dr. Galena R. Margolis is traumatized after almost being killed the week before (also from a past brutal attack), but she is continuing with her research of a special vaccine (along with the help of her assistants Ankita and Jian). Galena is already doing human trials with five subjects. Galena’s vaccine is the only hope of stopping/conquering the plagues that are killing millions of people. Someone, though, is determined to stop Galena from creating the vaccine.

Galena needs to be kept safe and alive, but how can that goal be achieved. Declan Ferry has taken an interest in Galena. He would like to get to know her, but time is not on their side. Cacy Kerry (Declan’s sister) comes up with a plan but are Galena and Declan ready to pay the price? Galena is going to have to overcome her violent attack in order to keep herself safe and create the vaccine that is badly needed.

Someone is taking control of the Ker’s and making them go against the wishes of the Lord of Kere’s, Jason Moros. Who is behind these attacks? Aislin Ferry is now the Charon (as well as the head of the family company Psychopomps) and has a lot on her plate. She is trying to undo everything her wicked brother, Rylan did while in control as well as handle the attacks. Someone is trying to change the fabric of fate and everyone is going to have to work together to keep it from unraveling.

To understand Claimed you need to read the first book in the series, Marked. I give Claimed 4 out of 5 stars. Please be aware that the book has a rape scene (Galena’s attack was mentioned in Marked and described in more detail in Claimed) and two sex scenes. I give Claimed 4 out of 5 stars. I liked the story but not as well as Marked. This book read more like a romance novel and did not have the intensity of Marked.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Mar 16, 2015 |

Sarah Fine is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,103,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible