Stormy Night by Salina Yoon

Stormy Night

by Salina Yoon

Impulse grab from the library because I recognized the name.  Sweet enough story but not really Wow.  But the blurb says she's written and illustrated more than 150 books for children." What?!  Hmm." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
In my opinion this was an okay book. I did like the plot of the story. I thought having a bear scared of a thunderstorm and having his parents comfort him was a good plot because K-2nd grade can really relate to being scared of thunderstorms. There was also conflict and a solution. Another reason why I thought this book was okay was because of the characters. I thought they were pretty well developed and it was a good idea using bears because in the pictures they were cute so it draws the reader in. I think the main idea of this book was to teach students that it is okay to be scared. ( )
  athomp33 | Oct 6, 2015 |
I really liked this book. The main ides of this book is that it is okay to be scared and that you can take your mind off scary things by replacing them with fun things. The language used in this book is clear and understandable for younger children. The use of words such as "boom" also enhance the story and help students become more involved with what they are reading. The illustrations in the book enhance the story as well. The pictures are fun and colorful and include specific details such as emotions. ( )
  rpotte5 | Sep 24, 2015 |
I found this book to be a cute and relatable book because many children could relate to being scared during a thunderstorm. The illustrations in this book used a lot of great color that helped express the mood on each page. For example, when the bear was scared in his room looking out the window, the color scheme was dark blues and and blacks. Even though the characters were animals, they were still very believable because of the problems they addressed. The mamma bear and the papa bear comforted their son when he was scared by distracting him with a book. This could definitely happen within a readers home which makes the story more relatable. As I read this book, the overall message to me was conquering your fears. Every person is going to have something that he/she is afraid of, it is just how you deal with the fear. The little bear coped with his fear and so can you!
  bemory1 | Sep 23, 2015 |
This was one of my favorite children's books to read. This book takes me right back to my childhood because I hated thunderstorms and I had a bunny I named Floppy. This children's book is one that really catches the early readers because they can relate. It is very easy to read and flows well with the timeline. It's a cute story and how the mom and dad help their child feel better during the storm. It also shows how she you take your mind off things, then you can sometimes forget about the bad. The pictures show exactly what was going on in the story. I also love how the illustrator write BOOM and a jagged thought bubble to show the exaggeration of the sound of thunder to the children. ( )
  adepuy1 | Sep 23, 2015 |

When thunder shakes his house and rain pounds the windows, Bear is frightened. But comforting his Mama, Papa, and Floppy helps make the storm seem not so scary. Before Bear knows it, the storm has passed, because even storms need their sleep . . . and so do bears.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:48 -0400)

Bear is frightened by a storm, but singing to his toy, Floppy, and being with his parents helps comfort him until the storm goes to sleep, and so does he.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,402,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible