The Awesome by Eva Darrows

The Awesome

by Eva Darrows

A great read for older teens, this was funny, sexy and thrilling. Perfect for those who love the Supernatural TV show, but wish it was more Charlie and less San and Dean. Also great for those who loved the new Ghostbusters!

Maggie's mom is a hunter (as in vamps, demons, ghosts, etc), and won't let Maggie continue her training until she loses her virginity. Since virgins are irresistible to vampires, making Maggie a liability, she's determined to do the deed ASAP, as she's tired of the boring hunts she's stuck with. Unfortunately, losing one's virginity is weirdly difficult for this gun-toting teen...

Lots of language and a couple of graphic sex scenes, but *very* entertaining. AND it features a wonderfully body- and sex-positive message (as in, sex is a natural, normal part of adult life, and not something to get hung up about, as long as you're careful with protection of the physical, condom-sort and with your feelings). ( )
  kayceel | Oct 4, 2016 |
Maggie and her mother are both hunters. To say they have a loving but unusual relationship would be an understatement. They hunt vamps, but Maggie’s mom has given her mixed signals about vampires. Having heard her say all her life that vamps are bad, Maggie is distressed to find her mom in a relationship with one. But when their lives are threatened by a high-ranking vamp, they are glad for his influence. This book is an interesting mix of teenage angst (Maggie having her first serious relationship with a boy) and paranormal occurrences. Though marketed as a teen book, I don’t think the values it proposes are teen appropriate. ( )
  Maydacat | Sep 30, 2016 |
Crass and snarky, it's like an alt-universe Supernatural, where Hunters are licensed and the Things That Go Bump in the Night are living openly. The relationship between Maggie and her mom, Janice, is honest and true, the budding relationship between Maggie and Ian is awkward and sweet, and the world-building and internal mythology are strong. This is a super-fun read that will appeal to readers of both supernatural YA and adult Urban Fantasy. ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |
Maggie is a hunter’s apprentice – following in her mother’s footsteps to take down all the creepy monsters that lurk in the world (including gross ghosts and sidhe which may or may not have eaten an eyeball)

But she can’t be more than an apprentice yet because she is still a virgin. Virgin blood drives Vampires into killing frenzies making them strictly off limits. If Maggie wants to face the big leagues she needs to tackle an entirely new experience: The Sex

And while teenaged boys may be daunting, a new kind of zombies and a vampire cover up may be far more dangerous.

When I first saw this book, I saw the synopsis of “teenaged girl has to lose her virginity to fight vampires” and, I admit, I rolled my eyes and thought “I don’t want to read this.” I then sharpened my snark and prepared to read.

Then I heard that Booksmugglers and Cuddlebuggery had read this book and loved it – this meant that I now had someone to blame should I hate it for many many many years to come. The promise of snark and eternal shame did make things look much brighter

Alas, I have little of either because The Awesome was, indeed, awesome in many ways and all the terribleness I both dreaded and was ready to skewer just didn’t arise.

It was awesome in the way the whole quest to lose her virginity was treated. There was no massive putting of hymens on pedestals. There was no forcing Maggie into sexual encounters she didn’t want. There was no terrible romance tropes marauding all over everything and neither she nor Ian felt particularly exploited, used or mistreated by the other. Even with The Sex being the stated goal for hunting purposes, both Maggie and Ian are clearly interested in their sexual encounter before going ahead

And that sex is perfectly imperfect. As befits two very inexperienced teenagers. It isn’t terrible and they both enjoy it and they like each other and the whole experience but it is certainly not an epic passionate time of skilful sexual maestros causing people to go blind and pass out from the 8 fold multiple orgasm of doom either. It’s awkward and fumbling and not always done right and the bedrooms are messy and alcohol doesn’t help things. It’s excellent, I think it’s the first time I’ve read a sex scene where it was improbably perfect screaming orgasm time while still being happy and fun.

I also liked that Maggie and Ian built a friendship and relationship as well – which was also sweet and fun with them actually enjoying non-romance time together.

I loved that at no point, from nobody, did we get any sex shaming. I loved that virginity wasn’t considered precious beyond words. And I loved how this book even addressed LGBT people being hunters and also needing not to be virgins – since the whole concept of virginity is so completely heteronormative. There were so many ways this trope could have gone terribly wrong – and it didn’t. I’m impressed.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Aug 17, 2015 |
This book spoke to my soul; it was immature, crude, ridiculous, funny, and just damn good. You have have to have a dark irreverent sense of humor to enjoy it (I would assume it might enrage conservative christians for instance), but it might appeal to other audiences as well. It was darkly comedic and open about sexual experiences and was kind of reminiscent of Andrew Smith's "Grasshopper Jungle." The story follows a seventeen year old monster hunter who is apprenticing under her mother. While other kids are out shopping at the mall and listening to the latest pop songs, Maggie is out performing exorcisms, chasing werewolves, and kicking ass. She wants to get promoted but she is unable to do so until she loses her virginity. Vampires can't resist an innocent virgin and will frenzy when they scent pure blood. So until Maggie pops her cherry she can't hunt vampires and be a full fledged monster killer like her mother. What's a girl to do? Seriously, a must read. Sooo freiggin funny. ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 16, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 178108324X, Paperback)

Seventeen-year-old Maggie Cunningham is tough, smart, and sassy. She's also not like other girls her age, but then, who would be when the family business is monster hunting? Combat boots, ratty hooded sweatshirts, and hair worn short so nothing with claws can get a grip, Maggie's concerns in life slant more toward survival than fashion or boys. Which presents a problem when Maggie's mother informs Maggie that she can't get her journeyman's license for hunting until she loses her virginity.

Something about virgin blood turning vampires into pointy rage monsters. Blood and gore and insides being on the outside and all that.

Maggie's battled ghosts and goblins and her fair share of house brownies, but finding herself a boy - fitting in with her peers - proves a much more daunting task than any monster hunt. Did you know normal girls don't stuff their bras with holy water balloons? Nor do they carry wooden stakes in their waistbands. And they care about things like "matching" and "footwear." Of course, they also can't clean a gun blindfolded, shoot a crossbow, or exorcise ghosts from a house. Which means they're lame and Maggie's not. Because Maggie's awesome. The Awesome, in fact. Just ask her. She'd be more than happy to tell you.

After she finds herself a date.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:20 -0400)

Maggie Cunningham, who wants to enter in the family business of monster hunting, can't get her license until she loses her virginity, but finding a normal boy proves to be more difficult than she thought.Maggie can clean a gun blindfolded, shoot a crossbow, or exorcise ghosts from a house. The family business is monster hunting, and her concerns in life slant more toward survival than fashion. When Maggie's mother informs her that she can't get her journeyman's license for hunting until she loses her virginity-- something about virgin blood turning vampires into rage monsters... Maggie needs to find herself a boy. And that's proving a much more daunting task than any monster hunt.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,627,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible