Dinner with Buddha by Roland Merullo

Dinner with Buddha

by Roland Merullo

One of the more enjoyable road trip books I've read because of its blend of humor, spiritual insight, and vivid scenic imagery. Although the ending was a stretch (for me, at least), it was still a unifying outcome for all the other events in the book. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Firstly, and unrelated to my review, I never received my copy of this book. I checked a copy out of the library, as perhaps mine got lost in the shuffle as I was moving in August.

I don't quite know what to say about this book. In contrast to other reviewers here, I didn't find it terribly well written. Merullo writes well about food, and so there is a lot of that scattered throughout the narrative. He also has a knack for creating parables related to Buddhism, which his characters share with one another. In terms of plot and character development, however, this book was not strong at all. To be fair, this pseudo-religious self-help-esque format is something I find rather patronizing and irritating. That said, it definitely resonates with some readers, and I won't take that away from Merullo. Finally, in terms of stirring my interest about Buddhism, it was a success. I won't be reading any other works by Merullo based on this work, but I will probably delve further into other works on the topic of this religion. ( )
  orangewords | Dec 14, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to Library Thing and Algonquin Books for the finish book. I was completely surprised to receive it instead of a paperback ARC.
I love the Buddha books ( breakfast,Lunch and now dinner). I love that its half travel and half parable it always leaves you with a good feeling and something to think about.It is one of those books that stay with you long after you have finished it. I look forward to more Buddha books.
  WKinsey | Nov 4, 2015 |
Two men (one who is a serious and revered Mongolian monk) whose lives are connected through marriage end up on a road trip through the middle of the country. They have some good and insightful conversations that illustrate some of the main tenets of Buddhism. This book follows Merullo’s, Breakfast with Buddha. ( )
  St.CroixSue | Sep 29, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've read all three of Roland Merullo's ___ with Buddha books at this point, Dinner with Buddha being the last and most recent. There are things about the books I like and other things that aren't really my style. Overall, it's an interesting set of books.

Dinner was my second favorite of the three, after Breakfast. It alternates between descriptions of and meditations on America, action and dialogue that move the story forward, and spiritual musings. The thing that bothered me most was how by the end of the novel, Otto -- protagonist, narrator, and average sort of guy to whom I could always sort of relate in the past -- slips beyond the reader, leaving no character the reader still feels like s/he can identify with. Without giving away too much, the book's ending is barely graspable for Otto but not really graspable at all for me. What always felt like a simple, interesting, satisfying story morphs into something rather far-fetched. But other than that, I enjoyed making my way through Dinner with Buddha. ( )
  erelsi183 | Aug 6, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Roland Merullo's book Dinner with Buddha was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible