Don't Get Too Comfortable: The…

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The… (original 2005; edition 2005)

by David Rakoff

Member:CindyFrag
Title:Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never- Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
Authors:David Rakoff
Info:Random House Audio (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:**
Tags:Read in 2008, Audiobook

Don't Get Too Comfortable by David Rakoff (2005)

To Read (444)

Interesting Eleanor Roosevelt quote from page p. 62 of the book
"no one can humiliate you without your consent..."
Shira Destinie
MEOW Date Tuesday, April 24, 12014 H.E. (Holocene Era) ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Short, humorous pieces about a variety of topics. The author gets into things like the last flight of Concorde, Martha Stewart magazine, long-term fasting, and plastic surgery, and then makes his experience sound funny and ridiculous. ( )
  Pferdina | Sep 17, 2017 |
It took me a while to get through this book, as there were quite a few words I needed to look up. But what a wonderful writer! I Hugh loss to the world! David died of cancer in 2012. I had heard him many times on MPR. ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 14, 2017 |
This was a good collection of essays, I particularly liked, "Love it or Leave It," "What is the Sound of One Hand Shopping?" and, "Off We're Gonna Shuffle." I like a good slightly-pessimistic-and-yet-actually-deeply-optimistic essay, and many of these pleased. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
I love reading David's books and miss him so much! I like his humor and his honesty. I also enjoy listening to him read his books on the audio versions. ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
It's a terrific idea for a book, perfectly suited for a self-indulgent and self-analytical generation, and Rakoff has some stinging things to say. But there's no getting around the fact that, at heart, this is more a collection of vaguely related magazine pieces (much of the material here has already appeared in places like Details, Harper's Bazaar, Seed and GQ, and on public radio's "This American Life," where Rakoff is a regular) than a coherent seriocomic manifesto.

George W. Bush made me want to be an American.

David Rakoff takes us on a bitingly funny grand tour of our culture of excess. Whether he is contrasting the elegance of one of the last flights of the supersonic Concorde with the good-times-and-chicken-wings populism of Hooters Air; working as a cabana boy at a South Beach hotel; or traveling to a private island off the coast of Belize to watch a soft-core video shoot—where he is provided with his very own personal manservant—rarely have greed, vanity, selfishness, and vapidity been so mercilessly skewered. Somewhere along the line, our healthy self-regard has exploded into obliterating narcissism; our manic getting and spending have now become celebrated as moral virtues. Simultaneously a Wildean satire and a plea for a little human decency, Don’t Get Too Comfortable shows that far from being bobos in paradise, we’re in a special circle of gilded-age hell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:48 -0400)

In these essays, social satirist Rakoff journeys into the land of unchecked plenty that is contemporary America, skewering overconsumption, greed, vanity, selfishness, and vapidity. Somewhere along the line, our healthy self-regard has exploded into obliterating narcissism; our manic getting and spending have now become celebrated as moral virtues. Whether contrasting the elegance of one of the last flights of the supersonic Concorde with the good-times-and-chicken-wings populism of Hooters Air, working as a cabana boy at a South Beach hotel, or traveling to a private island off the coast of Belize to watch a soft-core video shoot--where he is provided with his very own personal manservant--Rakoff takes us on a grand tour of our culture of excess, and comes away from his explorations hilariously horrified.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,092,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible