Don't Get Too Comfortable: The…

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The… (edition 2006)

by David Rakoff

1,092None7,580 (3.56)22
Member:UCLA_LGBT
Title:Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never- Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems
Authors:David Rakoff
Info:Anchor (2006), Paperback, 240 pages

Don't Get Too Comfortable by David Rakoff

2006 (13) 2007 (8) 21st century (6) American (7) ARC (5) audio (4) audiobook (9) autobiography (8) Canadian (5) culture (10) essay (10) essays (140) fiction (4) humor (117) literature (4) memoir (19) non-fiction (97) NPR (8) own (7) pop culture (9) read (17) read in 2007 (4) satire (15) signed (4) social commentary (7) this american life (7) to-read (24) travel (4) unread (8) wishlist (5)

This was a good collection of essays, I particularly liked, "Love it or Leave It," "What is the Sound of One Hand Shopping?" and, "Off We're Gonna Shuffle." I like a good slightly-pessimistic-and-yet-actually-deeply-optimistic essay, and many of these pleased. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Jan 20, 2014 |
Funny stories - mostly about the angst of crazy first-world living issues like Marha Stewart, knowing the difference between sea salts, and cryogenetic freezing of your head. Not as funny as David Sedaris - but still amusing. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
Good reading! I love books with essays, and his are always entertaining. ( )
  ownedbycats | Sep 1, 2013 |
I can't remember how on earth I found this book or who recommended it to me. Anyway, I'm glad I found it. And I'm very sad to have just discovered that the author died last year.

He writes beautifully. Laugh out loud funny. Biting wit.

So smart.

Fabulous stuff.

I'm ordering more from my local library.

What is it? Oh - essays on the problems of the First World. Musings. Ruminating. But intelligently so. ( )
  alexdaw | Jul 13, 2013 |
These are funny little essays, many of which seem to start as reporting stories, but are more a launching pad for his thoughts. He’s a really good writer who reminds me a bit of David Sedaris for reasons I can’t quite put my finger on. He’s kind of the low-key version of Sedaris, not as dark, weird, or quite as laugh-out-loud, but more subtle and observing the outside world as much as his own.

I’m a little hesitant to give it 4 stars because it’s not the kind of book that blows you away, it’s just a solid, well written, funny read. ( )
  bongo_x | Apr 6, 2013 |
It's a terrific idea for a book, perfectly suited for a self-indulgent and self-analytical generation, and Rakoff has some stinging things to say. But there's no getting around the fact that, at heart, this is more a collection of vaguely related magazine pieces (much of the material here has already appeared in places like Details, Harper's Bazaar, Seed and GQ, and on public radio's "This American Life," where Rakoff is a regular) than a coherent seriocomic manifesto.

George W. Bush made me want to be an American.

David Rakoff takes us on a bitingly funny grand tour of our culture of excess. Whether he is contrasting the elegance of one of the last flights of the supersonic Concorde with the good-times-and-chicken-wings populism of Hooters Air; working as a cabana boy at a South Beach hotel; or traveling to a private island off the coast of Belize to watch a soft-core video shoot—where he is provided with his very own personal manservant—rarely have greed, vanity, selfishness, and vapidity been so mercilessly skewered. Somewhere along the line, our healthy self-regard has exploded into obliterating narcissism; our manic getting and spending have now become celebrated as moral virtues. Simultaneously a Wildean satire and a plea for a little human decency, Don’t Get Too Comfortable shows that far from being bobos in paradise, we’re in a special circle of gilded-age hell.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:27 -0400)

In these essays, social satirist Rakoff journeys into the land of unchecked plenty that is contemporary America, skewering overconsumption, greed, vanity, selfishness, and vapidity. Somewhere along the line, our healthy self-regard has exploded into obliterating narcissism; our manic getting and spending have now become celebrated as moral virtues. Whether contrasting the elegance of one of the last flights of the supersonic Concorde with the good-times-and-chicken-wings populism of Hooters Air, working as a cabana boy at a South Beach hotel, or traveling to a private island off the coast of Belize to watch a soft-core video shoot--where he is provided with his very own personal manservant--Rakoff takes us on a grand tour of our culture of excess, and comes away from his explorations hilariously horrified.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,507,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible