Dogland by Will Shetterly

Dogland (1997)

by Will Shetterly

This novel hit just the right notes time and time again. Dogland, the attraction, is so quintessentially American that just about anyone who has ever taken a road trip in America will respond to it. (I have to admit that the time and place were particularly poignant for me, because of the many road trips my family took to Florida, starting just a few years after 1959, the year the novel is set.) Luke Nix's wild stories reminded me very much of my own father, who loved to tell tall tales to his children and still brags about having fooled us into believing he had fought in the French and Indian War. Grandma Bette's adamant rejection of any claims that the family is not of pure European extraction has been played out in many American families and the conflict around the hiring of Ethorne Hawkins, a black man, in the rural South is another classic American theme. This book is complex and goes far beyond its genre classification. It may not be the ever elusive Great American Novel, but it comes darn close. ( )
  PamelaDLloyd | Dec 2, 2010 |
It's like Harper Lee and Isabel Allende got together to write something—one building the myth-touched world the other's adult-omniscient, nostalgia narrates. ( )
  bzedan | Nov 17, 2008 |
An engrossing novel with a wickedly delightful twist at the end. Nominally a book for youths, it deals with some subtle issues of good versus evil, portraying a spiritual battle that plays itself around us, whether or not we choose to be aware of it. ( )
  jaygheiser | Jul 23, 2008 |
this book was very different and had many stories to tell. ( )
  monkeyfamily | Jul 20, 2008 |

Will Shetterlyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Newbold, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765342332, Mass Market Paperback)

The Nix family has arrived.

And Latchahie County will never be the same.

In an effort at improving his family's lot, the Nixes have moved to rural Florida to open Dogland: a combination zoo, restaurant and motel. But it isn't long before Nix and his clan of eccentric supporters run afoul of unsympathetic locals.

The problem? Luke Nix has hired Ethorne Hawkins.

Hawkins is black. And it's 1959.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:42 -0400)

Luke Nix of Minnesota moves with his family to Florida to fulfill his ambition, which is to open a dog zoo as a tourist attraction. But Nix's liberal views on race anger the townspeople--the time is the 1960s--and the result is trouble. The tale is narrated by his four-year-old son, Chris. By the author of Elsewhere.… (more)

Will Shetterly is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,341,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible