Sleepless (Narrowdale) (Volume 1) by Michael…

Sleepless (Narrowdale) (Volume 1)

by Michael Omer

FGMAMTC Blog Review
This book is different from my norm. It is a YA, paranormal, murder mystery, psychological thriller, light horror, junior sleuth mix, and it kept my interest the entire time.

Amy is teen girl so several of the personal bits revolve around things important to teens. I found her to be relatable, likable and believable with a great dry sense of humor. She just moved to a new weird town so the reader follows with her through the learning and adapting. Mean girls and other school issues are somewhat present.

The beginning is getting to know Amy and the setting. After it, odd things start happening. Amy is trying to get to the bottom of these strange occurrences. I really enjoyed the journey. Those that regularly read scary horror novels may find it juvenile, and those that only read romance, adventure or children's fiction may find it frightening. As an adult, I think the story is very entertaining, but I feel it works best for an underage audience. Sleepless is the first of a series, and I plan to continue it.
4.5 stars

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Amy recently has moved to Narrowdale from L.A. and is having hard time to find anything about the town she could love. As she tries to adjust in the new neighbourhood with weird people and school where it is hard to find a group she fits in, every night a eerie whistle from just outside her house keeps her awake.Now with her new schoolmates she decides to find who is the creep that keeps her awake.
But she unveils rather strange facts 'that only happens in Narrowdale'. I liked the paranormal mystery combo. I'm curious to know how the character develops in the next instalment.
At the end of some of the chapters links to Amy's blog were given, which I found very interesting to go through! ( )
  sushma_p | May 22, 2015 |
I really like the creepy atmosphere that that Sleepless portrayed. In tone, it fell somewhere between Welcome to Nightvale and Higurashi When They Cry in the way that it blended the paranormal with the mundane. Narrowdale is a town that seems, at a glance, incredibly normal but its other side makes itself known through tiny offhanded remarks (such as a headmaster who went into an empty classroom and vanished without a trace). This combines to make a setting which is very eerie and memorable.

However, I did have a couple of issues. The novel didn't immediately grip me as Amy was very unlikable for the first couple of chapters - being rude to people who tried to befriend her and generally just being full of herself. While Amy did grow on me once she started to be nicer to people, I never really grew to like the fact that Omer uses present tense at all times. This is entirely a personal preference but I just felt that the novel didn't gain anything from being told this way.

Additionally, I liked the author's use of live links to Amy's blogs as I felt that it added a depth to the novel but felt that the story could have done with more of this. There were only about four links in the whole book and most of these were in the first half. It would have been interesting to see how Amy's posts changed over the course of the story, especially as she grew more sleep deprived.

Yet the novel was pretty well written, the plot was gripping (even though the conclusion was a little bit of a disappointment after all the build up) and it left plenty of plot threads open for the next story. I can't wait to venture into Narrowdale once again once the sequel is released! ( )
  ArkhamReviews | May 17, 2015 |
I received a copy of this title for review through the Library Thing Early Reviewers giveaways.

Two Sentence Synopsis:

When Amy moved from L.A. to the boring suburb of Narrowdale she was pretty sure she was about to experience some big changes in her life – not necessarily for the better. Finding new friends turns out to be the least of her worries however and when the terrifyingly realistic nightmares begin, Amy knows that there’s something strange running beneath the ordinary exterior of her new

This is a fairly original and engaging take on a paranormal horror story for the YA set. It’s probably not going to win any awards for the standard of the writing, but there’s plenty of spook factor here – cue creepy whistling outside a young girl’s window at night – and enough snarky banter to keep the young folk interested. Omer has created an interesting setting in Narrowdale, where the homeless folk seem to be telepathic (and mildly prescient) and you’re never quite sure whether you’re talking to an ordinary person or a revenant from the past, so for that alone, this is worth a look. Extra points for the awesome cover art.

I do think that this book could benefit from some serious editing. Much of the dialogue is clunky and some of the sentence constructions jarred so badly that I stopped a couple of times to double and triple check that I wasn't reading a translation. I felt there was too much padding and if a few of the scenes of Amy just being at school or hanging round the house had been cut, the pace of the story would have picked up considerably and increased the suspense.

That being said, this is still definitely worth a read because the creepiness is quite skilfully done and the ending is action-packed and exciting.

Brand it with:

Catchy tunes; missing, presumed dead; heated daydreams, YA paranormal ( )
  BruceGargoyle | Apr 15, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Michael Omer's book Sleepless was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Michael Omer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,572,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible