Mucho Mojo by Joe R. Lansdale

Mucho Mojo

by Joe R. Lansdale

Series: Hap and Leonard (2)

English (13)  Italian (2)  All languages (15)
Some good interplay between the poor black community and Hap's poor white trash. Poor doesn't check the colour of your skin.

This was deeper than the first in the series even if the actual mystery was a bit bonkers. I much preferred the story about Hap and Leonard dealing with the crack house over the road.

I also love that this series is named for the characters' first names. That's not an easy thing to pull off, but it's a neat touch. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Duro ma bello!

Non è facile condurre le storie come fa Lansdale. E' capace di passaggi come pochi sono in grado di fare. Le storie hanno sempre quella durezza maledetta di situazioni familiari eppur difficili da accettare. Si inciampa in ciò che si sa esistere, ma che è arduo da digerire se in mezzo ci capiti proprio tu. Hap e Leonard sono "uomini di mondo", consci della malvagità imperante dell'uomo. Hap, nonostante tutto, sembra ancora credere alle favole, in un certo qual modo, mentre Leonard è il più disincantato dei due ("Hap, amico mio, nel mondo c'è il male. Il vero male"). Ma ciò non impedisce loro di uscire dalle disavventure con le ossa rotte. Uno zio di Leonard muore e lui ne eredita la casa e del denaro, ma subito c'è qualcosa che non quadra. Tra vicini spacciatori di droga, cadaveri di bambini seppelliti e deliri pseudo-religiosi, vien fuori il ritratto di un'America di provincia nella quale, a dispetto del tempo trascorso, tutto resta circoscritto ai soliti immutabili pregiudizi ed intolleranze. Una nota curiosa: la copia in mio possesso ha risentito insieme a me di una tempestosa notte di traversata in barca, durante la quale un'onda lo ha battesimato.
  Magrathea | Dec 30, 2017 |
Man, I LOVE Hap and Leonard! And this book gives them to us - double time! Leonard's uncle dies and the boys go to fix up his old place, and fall into a murder mystery! It's a damn fine story, with amazingly perfect dialogue, especially between our duo! I'm not sure how many of this series I've read so far, but this book is near the top of them! Now, I'd like to get myself one of them Uncle Chester bottle trees...

"Tonight, I could still see Forever, but Forever was nothing to see." ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Apr 10, 2017 |
Tough Guy Country Noir: "Mucho Mojo" by Joe R. Lansdale Published 1994.

"I kept thinking I ought to wish Florida and Hanson well and be happy for them. That was the right thing to do, but I kept hoping she would miscalculate and get her period on her wedding night."

This is a very specific kind of read for readers with a very specific taste. There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think a western is awesome, and those who don’t. I’m on the side of Westerns. Just so you know.

Read on, if you're into rough country fare. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
Sometimes it happens with me. I’m reading a book, often two, even enjoying both, and I come across a book I’d read long ago and--zap!--I’m in reread mode. Hence my reintroduction to Mucho Mojo. Not that the rereading wasn’t in order. It’s next in line to be adapted for the TV series on the Sundance Channel, and it had always been my favorite Hap and Leonard anyway. Reason enough. So this reading just happened ahead of schedule. But, even though it was second entry in the series, Mucho Mojo was my first exposure to both the East Texas duo and their creator, and the first of anything, particularly a positive experience, often magnifies in your memory. I started this book wondering if it was as good as I remembered. Turns out it was better.

The first in the series, Savage Season, was intended to be a one-off, so there were other characters to service. Subsequent novels are a search for new facets within your now-familiar heroes. But a sequel, four years later yet, allowed Lansdale the leisure to dive deeper in every conceivable way. It’s all there: story, character, atmosphere, philosophy, romance, friendship, prejudice, action, and much more.

The setup is perfect. It allows us to step right into their lives. Leonard inherits a house from a recently deceased uncle, and with Hap at his side, they discover a child’s skeleton. Hap--white, straight, Liberal--wants to call the police immediately. Leonard--black, homosexual, Republican--knows what will follow: a sensational crime in the poor, black section of town; blame Uncle Chester and close the case. But Hap has concerns that Uncle Chester might just be guilty, and Leonard knows for a certainty that such a thought is impossible. The best friends confront conflicting impulses without cliché and still have each other’s back while working their way through what turns out to be a more far-reaching and appalling series of crimes.

This novel is dense--in a good way. Dense usually means having to wade through unending tangents or excessive wordage to, hopefully, discover the good stuff. Here density represents substance. From beginning to end, you are in East Texas with the boys, and will regret having to leave when the novel ends. ( )
  JohnWCuluris | Aug 22, 2016 |

Joe R. Lansdaleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curtoni, VittorioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446401870, Mass Market Paperback)

In the second installment of the Hap Collins-Leonard Pine series, Leonard is still recuperating from the injuries he suffered in the first book (Savage Season) when he learns that his Uncle Chester has died. Hap agrees to stay with Leonard and help clean out the rundown house that he's inherited; when they find a small skeleton buried under the floor, it's up to them to prove that Chester wasn't responsible for a string of child murders by finding the real killer.

Lansdale slowly develops the relationship between his two protagonists as they banter with each other throughout their pursuit of the killers. Mucho Mojo also introduces two other characters, LaBorde Police Department members Lieutenant Marvin Hanson and his sidekick, Charlie, who serve as ongoing sources of friction--and, when it's most needed, support.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

Two men move into a house, one is black and homosexual, the other white and straight. While doing repairs they find skeletons of young boys. Who did it, the crack dealers next door? On the contrary, their investigation leads them to the local church.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,476,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible