Maigret by Georges Simenon

Maigret (1933)

by Georges Simenon

Series: Maigret (19)

194560,720 (3.32)6

English (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (5)
My fav so far. Maybe reading it in one morning lying on the beach in Cancun helped my rating decision along. Last book of the year! ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 2, 2018 |
Maigret helps out by keeping his eyes and ears open, and by wise use of his long experience of the Parisian underworld. He spends most of the novel at a table in the corner of a cafe. Every so often he makes a judiciously placed telephone call. He befriends a helpful whore. After a little light torture, all is well.

This was my first Maigret, and one is clearly in the hands of a master - one who's testing playing games: can he hold an audience while almost literally nothing happens? Well, yes - just. Which I suppose is impressive, but not as impressive as a really good novel would have been.

I'll definitely have another go, but I'm sorry I started here. ( )
  jtck121166 | Nov 1, 2015 |
In the French original, Maigret.

Variously published in English as (i) Maigret Returns (1941) (tr. Margaret Ludwig); and (ii) Maigret (2015) (tr. Ros Schwartz).

Maigret shrugged his shoulders, buried his hands in his pockets and went off without answering. He had just spent one of the most wretched days in his life. For hours, in his corner he had felt old and feeble, without idea or incentive. But now a tiny flame flickered. 'You bet we'll see' he growled. Maigret's peaceful retirement in the countryside is disrupted when a relative unwittingly embroils himself in a crime he did not commit and the inspector returns to Police Headquarters in Paris once again. Penguin is publishing the entire series of Maigret novels in new translations. This novel has been published in a previous translation as Maigret Returns. 'Compelling, remorseless, brilliant' John Gray 'One of the greatest writers of the twentieth century . . . Simenon was unequalled at making us look inside, though the ability was masked by his brilliance at absorbing us obsessively in his stories' Guardian 'A supreme writer . . . unforgettable vividness' Independent.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,338,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible