Catwoman Volume 6: Keeper of the Castle by…

Catwoman Volume 6: Keeper of the Castle

by Genevieve Valentine

203515,329 (3.25)1

Both the art and the storytelling were muddled. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
There was something of a story here, vaguely interesting, but it jumped around a little too much. Between characters, and between story arcs. I mean, 'we' saw the set-up to this current story arc twice. Once from Selina Kyle's point of view, then once through that daughter-of-the-Japanese-fella's point of view.

I'm not really sure what I just read. Catwoman has hung up her costume because some crime boss says that he is her dad. And he needs her to come in and take over the family. So she does. Or at least that's what I pieced together - the book opens after those events have occurred.

So. Book opens, Selina's working to combine the various crime family's, both for good (helping the city with hospitals and the like) and bad (crime). Most of them seem to be on board. With a certain amount of reluctance. Then the dead rise again (what, there's this big deal about how Catwoman killed Black Mask, or maybe didn't, but she's implicated in his death, and Batman dislikes how this occurred . . .etc. etc. - that happened ... this is 2015, more than 10 years ago in the comics, so, of course, it's ancient history - several versions of Selina Kyle ago). Still, I think of Black Mask as someone that died. Someone who I didn't like when he turned up, and was, frankly, elated when he died. But, he's back again, and putting himself forward as an alternative to Selina Kyle's plans.

One family doesn't like and has never liked joining aliances and they own the docks. At some point the linked families got some guns they want to dispose of. So they need the docks. Selina swings by the dock gang and sets things up. But he complicates things by saying that he will only work with them if Selina takes care of a heroin shipment.

Then one of Selina's own family members squeals like a rat to the police. Complications ensue, especially as this is/was someone that Selina actually liked.

Then . . . we are back in time again and re-seeing everything. This time through the eyes of . . . um . . okay, I looked at the other reviews and the book description. You'd think someone would have mentioned this persons name (maybe they did and my two second look wasn't long enough). Right. So, this new point of view is through the eyes of the Japanese mafia family's daughter. Daughter has been ordered by boss to pay attention to Selina, to watch her, figure her out. Or something like that. She's in a 'struggle' over whether or not she will end up taking over from her father. He likes testing her.

So. She's wandering around. Watching. Eventually has a run-in with Catwoman. It was a confusing scene and I really didn't catch what all occurred there. The important thing is that Daughter came to the conclusion that Catwoman is Selina Kyle and that she's stopped wandering as Catwoman. So it's the perfect time to slip into that disguise and use it to shadow Kyle. It's an interesting idea, and there are some interesting scene. But then we are back to Selina Kyle's point of view. And at this point I'm not sure where we are in time.

One thing leads to another and the carefully laid plans of Selina have sprung several leaks and . . gang warfare begins to break out.

The idea of Catwoman being the descendant of a mafia don has been and on again off again plot device for a possible back story. One arc even saw her go to Italy to dig deeper into the concept (different version of Catwoman, I forgot how long ago that occurred, Catwoman: When in Rome. So this isn't a completely new idea, having Catwoman being a descendant of the mob. Having her take over a family, well, that's kind of new.

Having someone else be Catwoman while Catwoman is still alive? Also not new. I still wonder what the hell happened to this previous 'temporary' Catwoman who fled when things got too hot. Oh, and she's the one I think of in my mind as "the lesbian Catwoman", because, well, she was. Even had a girlfriend. I mention, because having a woman in Catwoman's costume kiss another woman isn't new. And neither occasion had Selina Kyle in the costume (though this time it actually included Selina in the kiss; this is the first time I saw a bisexual/lesbian vibe off of Selina, strange that).

All-in-all, a decent story. Just not as coherent as I would have wanted. ( )
  Lexxi | Oct 21, 2015 |
Catwoman is in charge of a mafia family, things are complicated and various people are out to get her in different and interesting ways.

I wasn't pushed about reading more in this series. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 8, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,964,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible