Step Aside, Pops: A Hark! A Vagrant…

Step Aside, Pops: A Hark! A Vagrant Collection (2015)

by Kate Beaton

Hark, A Vagrant! is an extremely entertaining and intelligent comic. Well, not always intelligent in terms of humor, I suppose, but you have to be reasonably well read to get the jokes. You certainly don't need to have read Beaton's previous collection to appreciate these, though a love for history and literature is helpful. ( )
  melydia | Dec 1, 2017 |
Less good than the first book, 'Hark! A vagrant', it still manages to convey Kate Beaton's humour. On the plus side, it is less Canada/U.S. centric. The themes have changed too, with more feminism thrown in, as well as superheros and heroines. The most interesting were the pages introducing us to important historical female characters, some I did not know anything about. Also, I was most happy to read about Brontë's literary characters and their adventures. Keep it up! The next book in the series will be purchased with equal pleasure. ( )
  soniaandree | Nov 17, 2017 |
I was thrilled to come upon this at the library one day while volunteering, so I took it home to enjoy.

Familiar with the web comic and having read another of the collections, I was thrilled to see some familiar hilarious comics in this collection as well as some of my favorite types I hadn't read. There was everything from Lois Lane, Reporter to Nancy Drew Covers, from feminists to historical figures, from Chopin and Liszt to Tiny Hermione.

I laughed a whole lot! ( )
  katekintail | Jun 3, 2017 |
Kate Beaton's second collection of comics is a delight as one would expect of this fantastic artist. My personal favourites in this collection were the Wuthering Heights comics and the Invasion of Canada comic (one of my favourite Canadian history moments). Highly recommended if you're a Hark! A Vagrant fan. And if you're not, you should be. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 29, 2016 |
If you don't already know Kate Beaton, creator of the delightful webcomic Hark! A Vagrant, you should check out her comics IMMEDIATELY! Not only are they hilarious, but many of them are based on literary works and historical events, so they are educational as well. This book collects some of Beaton's greatest hits from the website, so some people may be disappointed at the lack of new material (there's a little bit, but not not much). Even so, I'm glad to have a hard copy collecting some of my favorites, from the brazen velocipedestrienne (!) on the front cover to the "straw feminists in the closet" to the classic Gorey and Nancy Drew covers. Definitely recommended for Beaton fans or for those who like their humor to be both smart and silly.
1 vote christina_reads | Mar 16, 2016 |
"The cover and title of this book play on 19th-century cartoons depicting velocipeding women as shocking and inappropriate, but we’d say “AWESOME” declares Beaton (Hark! A Vagrant; The Princess and the Pony). ..."
added by KoobieKitten | editLibrary Journal | September 2016 | Vol. 140 No. 15, Martha Cornog (Sep 15, 2016)

Thank you to Chris, Peggy, Tom, Julia, and Tracy at Drawn & Quarterly, who brought this book to you.

To Laureen, for talking humour with me.

To Becky and Maura for endless support.

To Mom and Dad, forever.

And to the readers who have been with me this whole time. Thank you! You're the reason I'm here.

"Ida B. Wells, the Black Prince, and Benito Juárez burst off the pages of Step Aside, Pops: A Hark! A Vagrant Collection, armed with modern-sounding quips and amusingly on-point repartee. Kate Beaton's second D+Q book brings her hysterically funny gaze to bear on these and even more historical, literary, and contemporary figures. Irreverently funny and carefully researched, no target is safe from Beaton's incisive wit in these satirical strips" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible