The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase

The One That Got Away

by Bethany Chase

There's plenty of sexual attraction in this tale of renewed romance. At least Sarina breaks things off with her boyfriend before she finally gets together with her long lost love. I liked Sarina as a strong, capable woman and the grief that she experiences in connection with her parents rings true. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 12, 2017 |
Abbey Lahay is an overworked mother who feels like she is lacking in every area of her life. She struggles with her children, she and her husband fight about money, her house is a mess and her new boss at work is the person she hired as a intern. One day, to cheer herself up, she goes to Nordstrom and buys herself a designer handbag. When her husband finds out, he coldly demands that she return it immediately. While on the escalator at Nordstrom, she has a freak accident, hits her head and when she wakes up, she is married to Alex van Holt - a man who had asked her out on a date years before she was married, a man who is rich and doesn't mind spending money on her. A man who appears to be totally different than her husband who pampers her and cares about her feelings. She is totally freaked out by the change in her life and can't decide how to handle it.

Abbey is a great main character who is desperate to get a break in her life. She feels like money would solve all of her problems but soon learns that money doesn't equal happiness and love. Even though this was a really light read and one that you had to just take a face value and not look for the flaws in the lifestyle changes in Abbey's life, I enjoyed reading it. It's a perfect book to take to the beach or the pool and read while you soak up the sun This is pure escapism at its best. ( )
  susan0316 | Jul 8, 2017 |
I received this ARC from NetGallery in exchange for an honest review.

It was the first ARC I’d received from them, and I couldn’t be more pleased. This is a wonderful romance book with a excellent main character, Sarina Mahler. She is a girl is making it on her own a thousand miles away from home. It’s been ten years since the loss of her mother, and she’s still dealing with her grief. Staying in a safe relationship with Noah because she is afraid of being hurt (aren’t we all?), she’s carefully constructed her world to avoid pain, until she loses the last connection to her Virginia home. She has the best friend every girl wants; a gay man who tells her like it is and doesn’t sugar coat her stupidity. Then there’s HIM - the one that got away eight years ago; the built, Adonis-like swimming champ who comes to Austin to start again.

I enjoyed the book and finished it within a few days; it is well written, funny, intelligent, sweet, and moving.
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
Sarina's life is going pretty smoothly -- she's busy with her own architecture firm, she's expecting to be engaged to her boyfriend, Noah, any day, and she has a good group of friends to hang out with while Noah is away in Argentina for work. She feels so secure she's finally ready to face Eamon Roy, a former Olympic swimmer and Sarina's former-one-night-stand (who broke her heart years ago), and who is making a visit to Austin, Texas.

Suddenly, though, Eamon's visit is no longer temporary, as he decides to move back to Austin and renovate a home -- a job for which he hires Sarina. The two become fast friends, and Sarina finds herself questioning everything she thought was so perfect about her life.

Overall, this was a really fun, enjoyable read. I breezed through it, because Sarina is a thoroughly engaging character. Further, Chase has a way of writing that pulls you in - when Sarina gets bad news, for instance, I felt myself feeling as if I'd been punched in the gut, too. It was refreshing to read a "chick lit" novel about an architect, versus the usual publicist or nanny or such. I enjoyed reading about Sarina's job and she was extremely driven as a businesswoman, which was great. Further, I enjoyed that the novel had a gay character (Sarina's roommate, Danny), who didn't seem completely steeped in stereotype. Also refreshing!

About my only beef was that it all became a bit much about two-thirds or so through the book, as Sarina continues to waffle about Noah and Eamon. For a bit, the book feels very junior high-esque as Sarina goes on and on about Eamon, then Noah, then dreaming of Eamon, then more wrangling, etc. I get that it was a big decision, and she and Noah had been together for four years, but sigh. Get it together, girl!

Otherwise, this was fun, fast-paced, novel, with just the right mix of serious, real-life plot thrown in. Sarina faces some tough choices in life (and not just as she deals with her feelings with Eamon and Noah), but with her parents/stepparents, her business, and more. It's refreshing to see a chick lit heroine deal with real life in such a way. Supposedly the Chase's next book features some characters who pop up in this one. I'll definitely be putting it on my to-read list. (Overall, I'd rate The One That Got Away at 3.5 stars.)

Note: I received an ARC from Netgalley in return for an unbiased review. ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase was an ok read. I enjoy this genre, but found this particular book to be a lot like many other books out there. I knew who the main character would end up with pretty much from the beginning of the book. I would have liked at least a few surprises. I would recommend this book to friends who enjoy books of this type, but I personally don't know if I will read any more from this author. Thank you to Library thing for giving me the chance to read this book through the Early Reviewers program. ( )
  sdbookhound | Sep 2, 2015 |
For Ginny, who I miss every day.  For Wynne, who claimed me as hers.  And for Rosie, who loved all three of us.
Every woman has one.

Perfect for fans of Emily Giffin and Jennifer Weiner, this bright, funny debut from a fresh voice in fiction offers a delicious take on love, family, and what it means to build a home of one’s own.

Sarina Mahler thinks she has her life all nailed down: a growing architecture practice in Austin, Texas, and an any-day-now proposal from her loving boyfriend, Noah. She’s well on her way to having the family she’s hoped for since her mother’s death ten years ago. But with Noah on a temporary assignment abroad and retired Olympic swimmer—and former flame—Eamon Roy back in town asking her to renovate his new fixer-upper, Sarina’s life takes an unexpected turn. Eamon proves to be Sarina’s dream client, someone who instinctively trusts every one of her choices—and Sarina is reminded of all the reasons she was first drawn to him back in the day. Suddenly her carefully planned future with Noah seems a little less than perfect. And when tragedy strikes, Sarina is left reeling. With her world completely upended, she is forced to question what she truly wants in life—and in love.

Full of both humor and heartbreak, The One That Got Away is the story of one woman’s discovery that, sometimes, life is what happens when you leave the blueprints behind.

Advance praise for The One That Got Away

“A warm, witty, and wise novel, The One That Got Away announces the arrival of a great new voice in fiction.”—Emily Giffin, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The One and Only

“Love can be complicated, and in The One That Got Away, Bethany Chase captures every nuanced beat of a conflicted heart. An authentic and warm voice infuses this story of humor, heartbreak, and home. While Sarina finds her way, we as readers might also find a way back to our own unique lives.”—Patti Callahan Henry, New York Times bestselling author of And Then I Found You

“This perfectly paced story is full of fresh, engaging characters, but Chase’s greatest accomplishment is Sarina Mahler. Sarina is so human, her inner world such a compelling mix of guarded and open-hearted, confident and faltering, that—through every loss, every funny moment, every blazing triumph—I felt completely with her and grateful to be there.”—Marisa de los Santos, New York Times bestselling author of Falling Together

“Bethany Chase is utterly charming and writes about loss with wisdom and heart.”—Allie Larkin, author of Why Can’t I Be You

“Don’t let this one get away: Chase’s debut is fun, romantic, steamy, and populated with heartfelt characters—not-to-miss delicious escapism!”—L. Alison Heller, author of The Never Never Sisters

“We fell in love with The One That Got Away from the very first page. In her charming debut novel, Bethany Chase reminds us about the one that got away, and makes us wonder what would have happened if he hadn’t.”—Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke, co-authors of Your Perfect Life

The One That Got Away is juicy, steamy, witty, and real. Bethany Chase kept me laughing out loud as I quickly turned the pages. With a love story perfectly balanced between sexy and sweet, and settings so vivid and hip they feel like a literary Pinterest board, Chase will have you swooning.”—Taylor Jenkins Reid, author of After I Do

Look for special features inside. Join the Random House Reader’s Circle for author chats and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bethany Chase's book The One That Got Away was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,951,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible