Glorious by Billy Wong

Glorious

by Billy Wong

An epic fantasy novella that reminds me somewhat of Robert Bevan's slapstick, helpless-giggling-type humor, only without the bodily fluids. It took me a bit to get into the story and characters, but once in, I couldn't stop, either reading or laughing. Emphasize the humor more in the blurb, Billy Wong; the other reviewers just aren't getting the idea here. This one would also be appreciated by fans of Benjamin Wallace's Post-Apocalyptic Nomadic Warriors: A Duck & Cover Adventure.

Please note that the element of violence is part of the humor, rather like a fight between the Three Stooges. Wish Amazon's new rating provided room for that caveat.

Four rousing stars. ( )
  GunnarGrey | Mar 27, 2015 |
* I received this from Billy Wong on LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review.
**This will also be posted on

I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't finish this. I tried for three days, even forced myself to continue, but I just couldn't. I really hate giving bad reviews but like others, I felt like this book was a letdown.

At first, I was really looking forward to this short novella because I wanted something that was funny and easy and light and short. I didn't get that. At all. Nothing was funny, and it was so unrealistic and childish. I feel like it should be a book for children instead, taking out the attempted rape and bad language. Honestly, I cringed a lot, and I just couldn't stand most of the characters, as they were flat and all acted like little children with anger and bullying issues; people who can't stand being wrong and then through a hissy fit. And the youngest was supposedly 17. I couldn't find anything good about them. Especially Gloria.

Gloria. basically, wishes to avenge The Champion (whom she is completely obsessed with and fantasizes about on a daily basis) after his friend Astrid (the greatest warrior and also the Princess) beats him in a match. Gloria basically put The Champion on a golden pedestal and said 'he's the greatest being ever and no one can beat him!' so when he was defeated right before her, she decided to avenge him by challenging Astrid. She is so childish, so selfish, and I just can't stand her. All she can think about is being greater and better than everyone else, and she refuses to see the truth even when it is right in front of her. She easily annoyed me. And that just made the book less enjoyable.

There was so much potential, and it just didn't have what it could have to be a better read.

I apologize if I offend anyone or seem too harsh. ( )
1 vote JuliannG | Mar 20, 2015 |
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, and I'd say that's about what this book is worth. I requested it specifically, because the premise sounded silly and kind of fun. A young girl sees her favourite warrior defeated in the ring, and vows to avenge him. I wasn't expecting anything heavy, or even overly serious with this one, but I had expected it to at least be fun.

Unfortunately, this book soured itself for me with the opening passage describing a brutal and violent attempted rape. I almost put it down right there, but I decided to power through.

I found this book extremely confusing, in more ways than one. The characters are all very flat, and either have an agenda to prove some Valuable Life Lesson, or to be the person to serve as at example. When someone's wrong, it only takes a few sentences of sanctimonious soap-boxing for them to admit they're wrong and change their ways. Because of this, the tone and narrative style seems like something you'd find in a children's novel at a grade school book fair. The language and that above-mentioned scene obviously show that this is not the case. I also couldn't figure out for the life of me when this story is meant to take place. It's a sword and sorcery novel, complete with farting dragons, but everyone in this story sounded like a modern kid with a cell phone. Maybe that's an artefact of the style, but it put me right off.

Perhaps if the author eschewed the rape and the language, this book could be successful in the 8-12 market. But as a book for adults, it fails pretty hard. ( )
  ML-Larson | Mar 10, 2015 |
Characters: I don't really know what to say here. I opened this book thinking that the characters would be at least decent... no... it felt like I was reading a book about a bunch of 10-12 year olds with anger and bullying issues. And that was just in the first three chapters, the last three chapters were even worse than that. The way they acted and talked was just ridiculously childish, and the youngest of the characters was supposed to be 17. I couldn't wrap my mind around it, it was so silly. Not to mention it felt like these characters were completely 100% flawed. I couldn't see a single thing about them that was good. I'm all for characters not being flawless, but it was no better as the complete opposite. I felt like the only characters I didn't have a problem with were Jessup and Clarissa. And poor Clarissa...

Plot/Content: This plot had so much, and I mean sooooo much, potential. It was about a girl who wanted to prove to her hero what she could do in his name. But not once does it ever seem she is actually doing it for him. It's really just her wanting to be greater than everyone else at almost everything.

Setting: Apparently there is no good people in this world or who actually honor what they value. It was just kind of a blah setting without really intriguing aspects. I don't have much to say about the setting, I would have loved to have been more informed.

Other: It was a short read, so it had one good thing about it. I was really looking forward to this short novella because I wanted something that was funny, but I didn't even laugh once. I don't even know if I cracked a smile. If I did laugh, it was because of the unrealistic silly childishness about this book. It would have been more entertaining if it had been about a bunch of kids that had great adventures (I probably would have given it three stars then). Instead it was about a bunch of adults who couldn't act like their age. I really hate giving this a bad review but I felt like this book was a letdown.

*Note: I received this free from LibraryThing and Billy Wong in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  DCTTR | Mar 10, 2015 |
Interesting concept of a heroine who lives in a fantasy world where her beliefs trumps the truths of reality related to her favorite idol and the champions she interacts with, as well as her own abilities. I was turned off by the opening scene which was unnecessarily graphic and violent, but was also poorly written and assumed the reader understood some fighting terms. Overall, I thought the concept interesting, but kind of silly at the same time as the lead character was pretty deluded throughout most of the story. In the end, the lead character realizes the truth and actually becomes accomplished enough to achieve her previous beliefs.

Overall the storytelling was pretty rough. There were numerous instances of misspelled word and sentences that had extra word or missing words. I would have said this was a great entry levels story, except the author has numerous stories listed on his site. More polish is needed on this one. ( )
  greymith | Mar 8, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Billy Wong's book GLORIOUS was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Billy Wong is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,722,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible