The Doll's House by M. J. Arlidge

English (27)  Dutch (1)  All (28)
I've discovered a passion for audiobooks this summer thanks to long working hours. The Doll's House was one that made the hours a bit more bearable.

The Doll's House is book 3 in the Helen Grace series and this time, Helen has to find a kidnapped girl and fight a battle with her boss that has taken a dislike to her and will try to get her off the team no matter what. What so special this case is that the kidnapper has done this before, taken a girl and then pretended through tweets and text messages that she is still alive and well and that she just doesn't want to have any contact with her family. And, it works like a charm until a dead body is discovered and an observant police think that there is something rotten with a missing girl, despite the text messengers that her family gets.

I loved listening to this book, and I found myself enthralled with the story. I was worried that Helen would get into trouble because of her, let's say, not that legal way of trying to find her nephew. And, it doesn't help that her boss is hell-bent on bringing her down. I did love the big confrontation between them both.

As for the case itself. It's scary to think of how easy it is to fake that someone is alive and well by having someone's phone. The kidnapper is a real psycho and the last part was very thrilling to listen to. If you have read the previous books will you love this book, and it works well as a standalone as well, even though some events from the past is mentioned.

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede ( )
  MaraBlaise | Nov 19, 2017 |
lost many hours of sleep reading this one ( )
  BWendt | Nov 10, 2017 |
A young woman wakes in a room not knowing where she is or how she got there. A body of another young woman is found buried on a beach. Detective Inspector Helen Grace is against the clock to find the killer and the young woman.

This is the third in the series of books to feature Helen Grace. It could be read as a stand alone but I always feel it's best to read them in order. I quite like Helen Grace, shes fiesty and lives for her job. Snippets of her past appear in the books and its clear shes has not had it easy.

I quite enjoyed this book. It doesn't quite have the wow factor like the first book Eeny Meeny which I thought was a brilliant read. The book has short chapters so I raced through it. A good solid story with a serial killer on the loose. Red herrings were thrown in along the way. No guessing with this book as the killer is a nobody until near the end of the book.

The series has characters that follow through. It's been a while since I read book two so I had forgotten some of them. The back stories are there along the way and looks like they will continue in the following books.

A good set of books so far which I would highly recommend and I will certainly continue the series. ( )
  tina1969 | Jan 4, 2017 |
If I could give 1/2 star ratings, I would give this book a 4 1/2 rating. I love M.J. Arlidge's Helen Grace series. This third book in the series didn't quite grab me like its two predecessors, both of which I easily gave a rousing 5 stars. It took me a few chapters to really get into this one, and only then did I find that I didn't want to put it down.

In "The Doll's House," DI Grace is on the trail of another serial killer, one that confounds her as to his motivation for killing. In each case, nobody has reported the victim missing because the killer has usurped the victim's cell phone and continues to text and Tweet as if the victim is still alive. Woven amidst the procedural mystery are sub-plots regarding Grace's supervisor - and nemesis - DS Harwood, DC Charlie's decision regarding her personal vs. professional life, reporter Emilia Garanita's continuing role as a thorn in Grace's side - although it's considerably toned down in this book. These sub-plots are what I so love about this series. Arlidge always does an excellent job with character development. It's not just the mystery that is enthralling but the way Arlidge makes the reader care so much about the characters. DI Helen Grace is one of my favorite protagonists ever, because she is incredibly strong professionally - you definitely don't want to mess with her - and yet she has huge inner demons that render her oh so vulnerable as well.

As the book progresses, Arlidge gradually increases the number of chapters told from the perspective of the killer, letting the reader more and more into the killer's head. Although we learn the reason behind the killer's insanity, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the explanation. I wanted to learn more about the killer's past, to know in greater depth the extent to which his past made him the killer he is.

This book is imperfect, but it was still highly entertaining and a solid outing by Arlidge, and I readily give it 4 1/2 stars. ( )
  niaomiya | Sep 17, 2016 |
Another wonderful book in M.J. Arlidge's Helen Grace series. I eagerly await reading book #4, Liar, Liar. I would not hesitate to recommend this series to fans of mystery/thrillers. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Apr 28, 2016 |
Wat als je ergste nachtmerrie werkelijkheid wordt?
Ruby tossed fitfully in her bed after a disturbed night's sleep.

When the body of a woman is found buried on a secluded beach, Detective Helen Grace is called to the scene. She knows right away that the killer is no amateur. The woman has been dead for years, and no one has even reported her missing. But why would they? She's still sending text messages to her family. Helen is convinced that a criminal mastermind is at work: someone very smart, very careful, and worst of all, very patient. But as she struggles to piece together the killer's motive, time is running out for a victim who is still alive...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible