Wildwood Road by Christopher Golden

Wildwood Road

by Christopher Golden

Christopher Golden writes an insanely wide variety of stories, but where he excels the most is in the horror genre. His brand of horror is particularly, well, horrific. It doesn't stem from the stories' supernatural elements so much as it does from the effects of the supernatural on the characters' everyday lives.

That's not to say that the supernatural elements aren't insanely creepy. During the beginning of Wildwood Road, Michael Dansky walks through an abandoned house, heavily intoxicated by something, and is assaulted by ghostly smells, sounds, and images. The way Golden describes this journey sent chills down my spine, as cliche as it sounds. I was seriously wigged out.

The rest of the novel is about the effects of the house on Michael's life as it obsesses him and turns his wife into someone he doesn't recognize. One of the things I love about Golden's horror novels is that they're incredibly creative; I never know where they're going, and I'm always pleasantly surprised by where they end up. I'm never able to read them and then compare them to another book I've read, because they're far too unique for that. Wildwood Road made me eager for him to take some time off from his innumerable collaborations and get to work on his next stand-alone novel. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
30-Something meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Kudos to Golden for a lucid and crispt writting style. A man is driving his wife home from a party, and coming arround a bend in the road he almost hits a young girl. He lets her direct him back to where she says she belongs, and before she runs inside implores him to come kind her. She begins to haunt him and he tries, and is strengthened in his resolve when the dark forces that keep the girl trapped in the house attack his wife, supposedly to warn him of the scent. Doesn't work, he's determined to save his wife. He discovers he must battle an ancient evil to return his wife's soul to her, as well as the other lost children secreted inside the house.

A leetle preachy, but nothing a YA would pick up on. This is a kids' horror book well done for kids. If you really hate the gloom in modern horror, this one does provide respite if not an affirming resolution.
  SomeGuyInVirginia | Feb 3, 2010 |
A pretty enjoyable book. Not perfect - it was a little predictable at times, and things wrapped up a little too nicely - but a nice little ghost story of sorts.

I like Christopher Golden's writing in general - his Myth Hunters trilogy is some of my favorite recent fantasy writing - and although this doesn't have the same flow as Myth Hunters did, it was still written well enough that I stayed interested in the story.

Not in my top 10 fantasy books or anything, but definitely an enjoyable read. ( )
  ajcrowley05 | Sep 10, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055338208X, Paperback)

Michael and Jillian Dansky seemed to have it all–a happy marriage, two successful careers, a bright future. But late one October evening, all that changed. Driving home from a Halloween masquerade, Michael momentarily nods off behind the wheel–and wakes to find nothing is the same.

Standing by his car is the little girl he came within a breath of running down. She leads Michael to her “home,” an empty house haunted by whispers, and sends him away with a haunting whisper of her own: “come find me.” But in the weeks to follow, it’s clear that someone–or some thing–doesn’t want Michael to find her: ominous figures in grey coats with misshapen faces are following him everywhere. And then Jillian wakes one morning replaced by a cold, cruel, vindictive woman Michael hardly recognizes as his wife. Michael must now search not only for the lost girl, but for a way to find the Jillian he's always loved, and to do so he must return to where the nightmare began. Down an isolated lane where he’ll find them, or die trying.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:47 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible