How to Make Friends as an Introvert:…

How to Make Friends as an Introvert: Discover Introvert-Friendly Ways to…

by Nate Nicholson

This is a quick read and presents some valuable strategies for how to get outside your comfort zone and meet new people. The goal is not to indiscriminately make friends with everyone, but creating more opportunities to strike up conversations with folks, and subsequently forging friendships that balance your needs, and those of your friend’s.

What I took away from the book is the getting outside of your comfort zone part, and not necessarily setting out to meet new people. New experiences can organically lead to new friendships, and you’re not going to develop new friendships without putting yourself in situations where you may talk to other people. Intellectually I have always understood this, but sometimes it’s hard for an introvert. In the end, this book has given you the tools to get the wheels turning and figure out what may work for you.

Some of the ideas presented as strategies were good, and most are based on what worked for the author. I know the examples are intended to be a jumping off point, but the same examples were oft repeated, and if it wasn't something the reader could identify with (i.e. joining a toastmasters club or things geared towards entrepreneurship) you start to tune it out and say to yourself "yeah, but what else?"

I liked the uncomfortable "tough love" in the final chapter that forces some introspection about attitudes introverts may hold without realizing it.

I received this ebook as a Librarything member giveaway. ( )
  silverleaf | Sep 1, 2015 |
I won this book via library thing member giveaway for a honest review.

I liked this book written by Nate Nicholson especially because I'm an introvert myself so this book is very relatable.

Because I suffer with extreem anxiety, and insecurities books like this often give me a little hope and confidence. I enjoy seeing that I'm not the only person who actually links in with introvert characteristics.

I'd give it ⭐⭐⭐ 3 silver stars, because I wouldn't say it's changed how I see myself, or how I plan to start talking to strangers/ keeping up conversation. I would recommend the book to people who feel they need a little confidence boost, and like self help!

Happy reading :-) ( )
  inspiredbyabook | Mar 10, 2015 |
I think the point of this short ebook can only be understood by those who have severe social anxiety or live with someone who does, and those reading this from another perspective upon the world around us cannot understand how anxious some of the people around you are feeling and just trying to get by in their lives.

Reading the roleplaying parts of the book as quite the introvert myself now and even more so earlier in my life, these interactions are those of the type you would be encouraged by a professional to try to ease the anxiety, however I would not recommend this book as an alternative to therapy but could be recommended I would think as a good read for individuals with severe social anxiety.

There are however many introverts that will refuse medication or therapy for the issue, whether or not they can face the fact they have an issue to themselves. I would recommend this as a bare minimum for those who will not reach out for help, even if the benefit may be limited, it will be at least a small step on the road to a feeling of being normal around others, and you will realize that you are not alone and there is help if you want it. ( )
  jasonshurb | Mar 6, 2015 |
As an introvert, I definitely embraced this book. I learned a lot about begin an introvert and how to possibly overcome this (if you so desire). The author provides a good overview of what an introvert is. He describes strengths, weaknesses, how to meet new people, etc.—a good blueprint for life as an introvert. The book definitely has some great ideas, which I will use as I go forth in life as an introvert. However, there is no quick change one can make, and I definitely did not leave the book thinking there was. Getting to a new, better place is not that easy abd will take time. Still, the book gives some great ideas about how to go about doing this, and underlines many of the good and bad points of this “affliction” (if you want to call it that). I received this from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Feb 11, 2015 |
I received a review copy through LibraryThing's 'Member Giveaway'.

Full of tired cliches and outdated opinions about what it means to be an introvert this book is limited in its worldview and, at times, offensive to its target audience.

Based upon the author's own journey from shy and awkward to "successfully" social it frequently slips into dodgy role plays that would feel at home in a creepy, pick up artists how to guide.

If it had been a paperback I would have thrown it across the room in despair every other paragraph. ( )
  Biscuitoria | Feb 6, 2015 |

Nate Nicholson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,553,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible