Man Swarm: How Overpopulation is Killing the…

Man Swarm: How Overpopulation is Killing the Wild World

by Dave Foreman

621,268,033 (4)None

A look at the role of overpopulation in the world's environmental problems. Refreshing because it doesn't focus solely on the bad people-related things that happen, but instead considers the effect on the rest of the species (Earthlings, as Foreman calls all of us). While touching on the negative impacts of population growth on socioeconomic human issues, he notes that, even if we could overcome those problems (which he is not that optimistic about), we would still not be able to overcome the problem that more people means less wild, and less for other species. The only thing I found to bother me about this book is a zing at the idea of progress; there is indeed human progress that can be made without hurting the modern world, and staying like the Amish won't solve anything, and will only keep human misery caught back in the past, which will lead to another cycle of landscalping. To his credit, Foreman does come to this same conclusion; his main concern is with reducing human population down to a manageable level, so that our birth rate doesn't outstrip all the positive steps we make in lowering our consumption. A must read. ( )
  Devil_llama | Mar 20, 2017 |
2nd edition; Not as good as the original, according to D. Yount
  UUC-Duluth | Aug 27, 2015 |

Overpopulation is Real.

We have come on like a swarm of locusts.

Now at over seven billion and counting, renowned visionary conservationist and global thinker Dave Foreman helps us understand that only by stabilizing and reducing human population can we stop wrecking our home – Earth.

And it is being driven by one species – Us.

Read Man Swarm, and you will know the truths about overpopulation and population growth. In this book, Dave Foreman:

o Lays out the overpopulation crisis in the United States and worldwide

o Shows how overpopulation is the main driver of the extinction of wildlife, wildlands and the creation of pollution, including destructive greenhouse gases

o Smartly challenges those who don’t believe that the overpopulation crisis is real

The first edition, Man Swarm and the Killing of Wildlife reached the conservationist community; in this new and updated edition, Man Swarm: How Overpopulation is Killing the Wild World, Dave Foreman and editor Laura Carroll expand the readership, from those in their reproductive years to educators, governors, Congresspersons, and even world leaders.

Overpopulation is Solvable.

Are you a lover of the Earth's natural world? Man Swarm shows why you need to be very concerned about overpopulation, gives you tangible ways to be part of the solution, and will inspire you to take action.

If we can solve overpopulation — and we can — it will be a great victory for all of humanity and the Earth!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:23 -0400)

Now at over seven billion and counting, renowned visionary conservationist and global thinker Dave Foreman helps us understand that only by stabilizing and reducing human population can we stop wrecking our home - Earth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,690,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible