The White Rose by Amy Ewing

The White Rose

by Amy Ewing

English (13)  German (1)  All (14)
Find this review and many others at Southern Bred, Southern Read Book Blog !

The White Rose picks up immediately where The Jewel left off. Ash and Violet have been caught and now all hell has broken loose. Lucien helps rescue Violet as promised along with an unlikely ally, Garnet. Most of the book is spent with Violet and her companions on the run. Towards the end of the book they reach their destination, and Violet is finally able to learn why she is so important. With Violet's help, there is a real possibility of The Jewel being overthrown and freedom being restored to the people of the island. Cue revolution. The book ends on a pretty big (yet not very surprising) cliffhanger that sets up book three to be full of action.

I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but I would like to diagnosis. This book is suffering from a severe case of Second Book Syndrome. Many great series suffer from this exact condition. You have a great first book then comes Second Book Syndrome and finally you get to meet a (usually) great last book of the series.

I really liked The Jewel because of how unique the concept was. It sounds like your typical YA book, but there are such darker themes with surrogates and companions and such. I loved reading about life in the palaces and about the girls learning to survive in such an awful environment. Unfortunately, TWR doesn't really give any of that. It's all about survival and being on the run and learning the truth about why the girls have the auguries. I found myself skimming a lot during the middle part of the book and towards the end. The only twist really is the ending, but again, it isn't something that you can't guess. I think TWR plants a lot of seeds for betrayal and plot twists in book three, but it is too early to tell. I still have hope for the series, so I will read the last book (when it comes out in like a year *cries*).

Violet and Ash have a really weird thing going on with their relationship in this one. They've risked everything for each other, but you can really pick up on some tension. I don't trust Ash 100%, especially because he still is secretive about Carnelian. I just feel like he knows more than he is letting on, and I just don't trust him. Violet is so la dee da la la la that she just has heart eyes for him and heart eyes for this revolution that she can't really see all the shade that he (and a lot of other people around her) are throwing. She kills me how she goes through the book all doe-eyed and innocent. "Omg! You mean I have powers that can save the world?! Oh noes! How will I ever be strong enough to do any good?!" First of all, Girlfriend needs to lose the dude. He is nothing but dead weight at this point. I just don't like him as a love interest. You have too much else going on to be worried about him and his woe-is-me, Violet. Second, someone needs to find this girl's backbone. She finds strength in her powers, but she just never develops into that strong female character that this series needs (think Katniss, Tris, Celaena, Clary, etc.). Hopefully the twist at the end is enough to be the boot in the ass she needs for book three.

I know The Jewel had a lot of mixed reviews, so I would urge you to read TWR if you were one of the ones who really liked The Jewel. Angela, for example, was pretty meh on The Jewel, and I really don't think she would like TWR at all. It's kind of one of those series that you're either going to really like or not like at all.

The White Rose is set for publication on October 6th, so be on the look out! Thank you again to my friends over on Twitter who hooked me up with an ARC.

3/5 stars ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
Suspense-filled. Unique World. Engaging heroine.

If you loved Rosamund Hodge's Crimson Bound, you'll love THE WHITE ROSE by Amy Ewing. It is the second book in The Jewel series.

The world of the Jewel expands dramatically in this installment for Violet, Ash and Raven are on the run and must navigate the four rings in order to find safety in the outermost, The Farm. Page-turning suspense built as they... Read my full review at http://blog.lrwlee.com/2015/10/08/review-of-the-white-rose-by-amy-ewing/

L.R.W.Lee | Jul 26, 2016 |
Karen at For What It's Worth and Mary at The Book Swarm occasionally post twitter-style reviews. Karen calls hers Short and Tweet, and I am going to borrow that review style here.

My short and tweet (longer) review:

I am glad that I continued with this series, and will read the next one as well. I liked the romance more in this one, and I liked the character development, not only of main character but side characters as well. Some characters and plot twists surprised me, but still enjoy the ones that I saw coming. I like the strength and power that has developed in Violet, and the ways that she sees she can help, and love the continuance of her seeing through other people. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | May 10, 2016 |
Ahh, how to review [b:The White Rose|24585267|The White Rose (The Lone City, #2)|Amy Ewing|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1443365160s/24585267.jpg|41931460]? I don't like putting synopsis' in my reviews because there are so many already. So maybe an advert?

I read [b:The Jewel|16068780|The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)|Amy Ewing|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1392220609s/16068780.jpg|21861160] and felt much the same way about that book as I did this one. Plus, Ewing is good at writing a cliff hanger.

If you want a book that is 'fun' and 'easy to read' and you enjoy things like The Hunger Games and The Selection you'll probably like this book. After a long day at work, using my brain and such, it was really nice to spend my 45 minute commute to and from my house buried in a book that required nothing of me. It was just a mostly entertaining story with few irritants.

If your looking for dynamic prose, thought provoking story lines or an unpredictable story line - run far far away. You'll be deeply disappointed by The White Rose. It just isn't here.

Take this book as it is - a quick read that passes the time, don't look for things that its not.

I will say all of the colour descriptions are a little cringe worthy and I truly see very little point to Ash now that Violet has escaped. Perhaps he won't survive the next book!
  sscarllet | Dec 15, 2015 |
Für meine Mutter und meinen Vater, die immer an mich geglaubt haben.
Das Arkanum schweigt.

The compelling and gripping sequel to Amy Ewing's debut, The Jewel, which BCCB said "Will have fans of Oliver's Delirium, Cass's The Selection, and DeStefano's Wither breathless."

Violet is on the run—away from the Jewel, away from a lifetime of servitude, away from the Duchess of the Lake, who bought her at auction. With Ash and Raven traveling with her, Violet will need all of her powers to get her friends, and herself, out of the Jewel alive.

But no matter how far Violet runs, she can't escape the rebellion brewing just beneath the Jewel's glittering surface, and her role in it. Violet must decide if she is strong enough to rise against the Jewel and everything she has ever known.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:35:46 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible