Crowned by Fire (Shadow Thane, #3) by Nenia…

Crowned by Fire (Shadow Thane, #3)

by Nenia Campbell

322,001,085 (4.5)None

"You look like you tried to fuck a barbed wire fence..."

One thing that i keep thinking when i read this series: How much i love the idea of Graymalkin. Just imagine if you had the benefit of a familiar trough your life. That knows you to the very core, and every time you try to bullshit yourself he is there to slap some sense into you....and not.

IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
"That reminds me of a curse the Chinese have," Catherine said flatly. "May you live in interesting times. Nothing good ever comes of being fucking fated."

Me, when Nenia let me know Crowned by Fire was on Amazon:

Me, whilst reading this beauty:

Me, when I realised I'd come to the end:

Damnit, Nenia. You should have given me ONE MORE PAGE.

The Shadow Thane series has to be my favourite 2014 reads. I'm constantly looking forward to reading the next book, obsessively checking updates and re-reading my favourite passages. Where Black Beast only scored 3 stars from me, Touched with Sight and Crowned by Fire are my favourite, rocking up to 4.5 stars each.

Crowned by Fire picks up where we left off in Touched with Sight -- Catherine has left her family behind and is on the run with Finn, the council witch and Crown Prince that wants wanted her dead and his familiar, Graymalkin.

But things are changing. Where Finn was only obsessed with Catherine before, he has reached the point where he has to possess and own her, make her HIS and Catherine, no matter how much she fights it, can't deny her instincts -- she wants him just as bad as he wants her, if not more.

"You're all I think about," he rumbled, as ominous as thunder before a storm. "Day and nigh. I'm starting to think that I've been cursed by you, my witchy beast."

Lines are blurring, boundaries are crossed. Suddenly, you're not even sure what's happening any more. Did I care? NOPE.

"You're insane. You hate me."
"No."

Safe to say,

I cannot stop fangirling over this. Guys, I read this in one day. I started at 10am and finished at 4pm. Six hours of fanning, laughing and crying, so you can easily say I was an emotional wreck at work.

Was it worth it? Yes. Oh, yes.

There's so much I love about this book, but I'm going to start with Love #1:

FINN.

Against my better judgement, I cannot stop fawning over the man. He's cruel, cold, nasty and heartless, but instead of running in the opposite direction (like I usually do), I am drawn to him just as much as Catherine is. Maybe it's the fact that, in this book, we have a much deeper insight into his mind than the others, or the fact that he constantly throws himself in front of danger to save the girl, or maybe it's the fact that, no matter how obsessed he grows with Catherine, he doesn't change as a person.

Unlike most paranormal novels these days, where, once the guy gets the girl or sort-of gets her, he completely changes and becomes, erm, "whipped" (for want of a better word), Finn remains the same. He is still as ruthless and as dangerous as before.

And is it just me, or does he get sexier?

She would not die. He would not permit her to die.
She. Was. His.

CATHERINE.

Damn, girl. She got even more badass in this instalment! No matter the danger, instead of crying and passing out *cough*allYAheroinesI'mlookingatchu*cough* she fights back and won't let anyone get in her way. The one time she DOES pass out, it's after the enemy has been obliterated (temporarily) and, you know, she's got a pretty good reason.

"You saved my life. Why did you do that, shifter mine? Why salvage what's past redemption? If I killed you now, I would be doing myself a favour. I should kill you. I warned you I might."

I love her sass, how she back chats and doesn't give a damn, how she won't "submit" to Finn, even if he has her by the throat; she won't and she doesn't. Catherine is so far from being a Mary Sue that she might as well be on a different continent.

Catherine growled. "You're a huge dick, you know that?"
"You're too kind," said the witch. "I didn't think you'd notice."
"You are the most frustrating person I've ever met." Catherine put the empty tin of Spam in the plastic grocery bag. "I have half a mind to rip your face off."
"We both know you won't."

There is so much going on.

[b:Black Beast|11418037|Black Beast|R.S. Guthrie|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1325730084s/11418037.jpg|16351046] had been slow, with little to no action, and [b:Touched with Sight|21407416|Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)|Nenia Campbell|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1398756435s/21407416.jpg|40707368] had already began to pick up, but Crowned by Fire was literally action packed, with so many twists and turns that I was constantly kept on my toes, desperate to find out what happens next.

I loved everything, from the characters to the Council members, to the Slayers and vampires that we finally get to know.

This was practically perfect.

Why 4.5 and not 5?

The following contains spoilers! Proceed at your own risk.

- In Black Beast and Touched with Sight, Catherine has all of a sudden mated with David -- meaning, they're for life. As most of you know, David is kidnapped by the Slayers, and although Catherine is, at first, hell-bent on rescuing him, her "love" (I can't call it love. They'd been talking for five minutes when all this happened) quickly fades in the light of recent events. I don't really care about David, because I am shipping the ship out of Catherine Finn but I found it odd that Catherine only thought about him twice in this book and is suddenly overwhelmed with emotion and ashamed of Finn when David returns. It didn't make sense to me, AND I REALLY HOPE SHE DOESN'T GO BACK TO DAVID.

- When Finn and Catherine do the badonkydonk at the end he was quite cruel and rough about it. -10 points, Phineas. *tuts*

- A couple of typos here and there, but they kept pulling me out of the story, especially since, at times, I couldn't tell who was talking and would have to re-read the passage several times.

I need moremoremore!

_____________________________________________

FUCK SAKE, NENIA.

FUCKIDDYFUCKFUCK.

GODDAMN CLIFFHANGERS!

ROOOOAAAAAR.

Ahem, review to come.

THE COVER.

But OH MY CRAPOLI, I CANNAE WAIT FOR THIS.

(I'm practising the Scottish lingo, so bear with me.)

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

GIVE ME THIS NOW.

*breathes*

Book,

Okay, I'm done. ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,791,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible