Twice Lucky by Mardi Alexander

Twice Lucky

by Mardi Alexander

Originally posted @ http://readaholiczone.blogspot.com
I found this to be book average finding both good and bad characteristics. I will start out with the aspects of the book that I found positive. The prose is descriptive and humorous. Also, the author is creative with her wording. It is innovative making Thomas deaf then providing a connection with sign language between him and Mac who knew sign language since her late brother was deaf and also tying in Nell the deaf dog. Another great aspect is how dedicated Mac is to her job as a firefighter likewise having an immense internal strength.

There are some things about the story that I found faulty. Both Mac and Sarah had not been in relationships for a long time. For Mac, that was due to a tragedy. For me, it did not seem right that they jumped into a full blown relationship so fast. Next the violence at the end was too much. It is incredibly overdone and very brutal. Overall this was not a bad book. It is just one of those reads that you read once and move on.

Thanks to Netgalley for letting me give an honest review
  THCForPain | May 27, 2016 |
This novel was the story of Mac, a firefighter who's very hard on her dress uniform shirts, and Sarah, an ER doctor in the same town where Mac works and lives. The story takes place in Australia, and the only reason that I point that out is because apparently I have not read enough Australian literature because it took me quite awhile longer than usual to get the lingo straight in my head. Not the stuff like 'jumper' and such, but there were some new names for things I had to get used to for the book to flow seamlessly.

But, back to the story, Mac and Sarah meet when Mac brings in someone that she and her rescue partner John have rescued from a car crash. And soon the two women run into each other again and again in unexpected places. Mac then gets introduced to Sarah's nephew Thomas, who's deaf, and slowly but surely Mac and Sarah start a relationship. Next, surprisingly and unlike a lot of other lesbian romances, it's not anything between the two women that provides the high drama (although there is some lesser drama here and there between them during the story), but it's outside forces drama (and it's quite intense).

There were things I liked and things I disliked in the book. I thought in parts it told a bit too much instead of showing, and here and there the dialogue seemed very stilted to me as well. But, on the other hand I loved the characters, both Mac's 'found family' as well as Sarah's sister and nephew. And I liked the dogs and cats too. Especially all we got to see of Nell the dog. I also liked how the signing was worked into the dialogue.

Overall it was a good book as well as a fun read.

I got this advanced galley through Netgalley on behalf of Bold Strokes Books. ( )
  DanieXJ | Mar 5, 2015 |
For all the professional and volunteer firefighters
the world over and the families who support them.
The call came at 1:43 a.m.

"'When you love someone, there's suddenly a whole lot more to consider, to risk, to fight for.' Mackenzie 'Mouse' James's life is all about firefighting. Being a firefighter fills her waking hours, leaving her too tired to think, to socialize, or to put herself out there. A large part of Sarah Macarthur's success as a doctor is due to the structure and control that she has established to help her cope when all the elements are thrown her way. As danger draws closer, Mac and Sarah will be tested in ways neither had ever imagined"--Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,166,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible