Who Was Sitting Bull? by Stephanie Spinner

Who Was Sitting Bull?

by Stephanie Spinner

442262,368 (5)None

I love these "who was..." books. I think that I would have my students read the one on Christopher Columbus first, then read this one. I would love to teach the students the connection between the two. Most younger grades probably would never connect the two, but I want show them and make them think critically. I would have the write a story on how the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus effected the native Americans.
  AnnaTaylor | Apr 25, 2016 |
Summary: No one knew the boy they called “Jumping Badger” would grow to become a great leader. Born on the banks of the Yellowstone River, Sitting Bull, as he was later called, was tribal chief and holy man of the Lakota Sioux tribe in a time of fierce conflict with the United States. As the government seized Native American lands, Sitting Bull relied on his military cunning and strong spirituality to drive forces out of his territory and ensure a future homeland for his people.
Personal Reaction: Easy to read and understand. This book gave in-depth details into the life of Chief Sitting Bull at an Upper Elementary reading level.
Classroom Extension: Our 4th graders pick a famous person to research and present to their class. This book would be perfect for that assignment. I would also like to have this in my room for Montana History as an easier read for my Sped. or lower readers. Chief Sitting Bull is an important figure in Montana's history, but our book only talks about his later life. I would enjoy sharing this book with a look at his earlier years with my class. ( )
  LorraineAllen | Jan 27, 2015 |

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

No one knew the boy they called "Jumping Badger" would grow to become a great leader. Born on the banks of the Yellowstone River, Sitting Bull, as he was later called, was tribal chief and holy man of the Lakota Sioux tribe in a time of fierce conflict with the United States. As the government seized Native American lands, Sitting Bull relied on his military cunning and strong spirituality to drive forces out of his territory and ensure a future homeland for his people.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible