Silent Creed (A Ryder Creed Novel) by Alex…

Silent Creed (A Ryder Creed Novel)

by Alex Kava

Dog Lovers will Dig It! Silent Creed is the second book in Alex Kava's new series featuring Ryder Creed and his K9 rescue and recovery dogs. Ryder was first featured in the Maggie O'Dell series with his star K9, Grace but they were such a hit, they have their own show now. If you aren't a dog lover, you'll still love Ryder Creed, emotional baggage and all. He's a former Marine K9 handler, rough around the edges with just enough boyish charm to make even Maggie blush when she comes around! Yes, he's hot but I digress....so the story revolves around mudslides in North Carolina which Ryder's company, K9 CrimeScents, is called out on to perform rescue and recovery operations. Of course, its never as simple as that so you'll find a lot of twists and turns throughout. I've always enjoyed Kava's writing style. Her skills are pretty solid. She knows how to keep the story moving along, suspense in the air and action on the ground. She doesn't use a lot of filler and I've never found myself drifting off reading her books. However, the ending of this story felt very rushed. It was like, hey I need to wrap this up tomorrow so I'm going to throw together a quick fix ending when it should have been extended a lot more then it was to wrap the story up completely. There were a few ends that weren't tied up and I was left with more questions then answers.  So, I'm not sure what happened there but hopefully we won't see any slap dash endings in the next release.
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
From Amazon:

When Ryder Creed responds to a devastating mudslide in North Carolina, he knows that the difference between finding survivors and the dead is time. He and his sturdiest search-and-rescue dog, Bolo, get to work immediately, but the scene is rife with danger: continued rainfall prevents the rescue teams from stabilizing the land; toxic household substances spread by the crushing slide fill the area with hazardous waste; and the detritus and debris are treacherous for both man and dog to navigate. But most perilous are the secrets hidden under the mud and sludge—secrets someone would kill to protect. For this is no ordinary rescue mission. Among the buildings consumed by the landslide was a top-secret government research facility, and Creed has been hired to find what’s left of it.

My Thoughts:

Ryder Creed is a likable, believable character. He is a dog handler who trains and works with a variety of dogs and is often called in to work in tragic situations, such as after a natural disaster, finding someone who is lost, finding cadavers, and even to search for drugs. In this...the second book in the series...he is working a landslide in very dangerous conditions. If you have a heart, you just have to love these wonderful dogs, Gracie and Bolo. The only problem I had with this book was the ending. The reader was left with hanging, unanswered questions and an unfinished feeling. Hence the 4 star rating. Gracie and Bolo get a big 5 star rating. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
A bit disappointing -the story was nowhere as good as the first book, a little boring actually.
I love Ryder Creed and his dogs and want a better story for them. ( )
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
Love this series, but I would also recommend starting. With Ms. Kava's first book. They all run together, adding characters along the way. Her first book is more disturbing then the rest, but I have enjoyed here writing from the beginning. ( )
  Nebraska_Girl1971 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Ryder Creed trains search and rescue dogs and Maggie O'Dell is an FBI investigator. They find themselves being sent to a disaster site in North Carolina. A hurricane has caused massive mud slides and a secret government medical testing center has disappeared in the the wreckage. Turns out some of the center's personnel were murdered before the landslide. Exciting scenes of daring rescues and criminal behavior by corrupt officials keep this novel rushing along. Will the good guys overwhelm the bad guys? My thanks to the author and Penguin's First to Read program for a complimentary copy. ( )
  musichick52 | Nov 14, 2015 |

Hot on the heels of Breaking Creed comes the next action-packed series featuring Ryder Creed, ex-marine turned K9 rescue dog trainer from New York Times– and internationally bestselling author Alex Kava.

Most of them were asleep in their beds when the ground gave way. . . .

When Ryder Creed responds to a devastating mudslide in North Carolina, he knows the difference between finding survivors and the dead—is time. Heedless of the dangers, Creed and his best search-and-rescue dog Bolo frantically wade through the chaos of twisted tree limbs, crumbled cement, and unrecognizable debris, when a second slide catches up with Ryder. And he is buried alive.

Bolo makes it out, though, and leads the heroic rescue of his master. What they get when they pull Ryder out from the mud is much more than they bargained for. The secrets in the mud around Creed run deep, pointing to a possible serial killer and unexpectedly dredging up painful, hushed-up pieces of Creed’s own past.

The mysteries unearthed will bring Ryder Creed face-to-face with his past loyalties, deeply embedded survivor’s guilt, and a powerful figure from his past. He’ll have to rely on his dogs if he wants to make it through alive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:13 -0400)

Alex Kava is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,977,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible