Becoming a Parish of Intentional Disciples…

Becoming a Parish of Intentional Disciples

by Sherry A. Weddell

Sherry Weddell's 2012 "Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus" sent shock waves across the Catholic catechetical and evangelizing communities. At the time I wrote that the book

"has appeared at precisely the moment it is needed in the life of the Church... and I believe every bishop, pastor, evangelist, and catechetical leader should have a copy and study it carefully. I know I will be."

Since then I have read the book several times, led a discussion of the book in our curia offices, given away hundreds of copies, and incorporated Sherry's reflections into my work as a diocesan catechetical leader.

So it is without hyperbole that I say that I have greatly anticipated the release of "Becoming a Parish of Intentional Disciples."

In this new book Weddell takes on editorial duties, collecting reflections from representatives of parishes who have set out to become centers of discipleship. It is a slimmer book than its predecessor -- almost half as long -- but relentlessly focused in its translation of Weddell's first book for parish life.

There aren't a lot of new theological insights in "Becoming a Parish of Intentional Disciples." Instead each chapter offers stories and reflections on the real lived experience of "in the trenches" disciples who are committed to sharing the Gospel and helping others encounter Jesus in their lives and churches.

Weddell herself contributes a chapter based on her popular keynote talk recounting the lives of an extraordinary group of saints in the late 16th and early 17th centuries who transformed the lukewarm, corrupt Christian community in France into a vibrant, faith-filled Church. Keith Strohm writes about the importance of prayer in energizing the work of intentional discipleship, while Fr. Michael Fones, OP, offers an excellent reflection on the role and dignity of the laity in the mission of the Church.

Bobby Vidal connects intentional discipleship to the work of the New Evangelization by demonstrating the importance of embracing new methods, ardor, and expression -- especially as they are expressed through the charisms present in a parish. Katherine Coolidge and Fr. Chas Canoy both offer reflections on how their parishes built up a community of disciples, and Jim Beckman dispels myths about youth ministry that stand in the way of forming teens as disciples of Jesus Christ.

"Becoming a Parish of Intentional Disciples" is an excellent companion piece to "Forming Intentional Disciples" and is a must-read for anyone looking for inspiration and real-life examples of disciple-making. As before, I recommend it to all bishops, pastors, evangelists, catechetical leaders, and anyone interested in the formation of disciples in the Church. ( )
  sullijo | Feb 4, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible