Murder In The Paperback Parlor by Ellery…

Murder In The Paperback Parlor (2015)

by Ellery Adams

I think I enjoyed the storyline of this 2nd novel in the series even more than the first novel but I am lowering my rating due to multiple and very elementary copy editing errors. Very unexpected to view so many of these errors and it definitely always derails my reading pleasure to a lower peg. According the overall rating for this novel is 4 stars. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |
Digital audiobook read by Johanna Parker

Number two in the “Book Retreat Mysteries” series set in Storyton Hall, “the perfect getaway for literature lovers.” Well, it’s perfect except when there’s a murder during the romance readers event being held on this weekend. Some Valentine’s Day adventure!

This has all the elements of a typical cozy mystery: an amateur sleuth, a “cute” occupation / back story, a little romantic tension, and more suspects than you can shake a stick at. In this case the victim is a world-renowned romance writer, with as many enemies as she has admirers. Among the suspects are fellow writers (jealous of her success), a former lover, and several angry fans.

The premise of Storyton Hall, however, lost me a little – most likely because I had not read the first book in the series. In addition to public rooms, there’s a secret library of rare first editions, that only a select few people have access to, and which they are sworn to protect – a sort of secret society of knights / crusaders / protectors. Once I caught on, some aspects made a little more sense, but in general I thought the book was just ‘meh.’

I did love all the references to books, however. I think I’ll go back and read book # 1 before I give final judgment on the series.

Johanna Parker does a good job of voicing the audio book, but her performance couldn’t overcome the book’s flaws. ( )
  BookConcierge | Oct 23, 2017 |
My mom got this book free at her library's book exchange and let me borrow it. It started very slowly and seemed to be mostly introduction and backstory at first, which I thought odd for the second book in a series. It took a while to get to the Romance conference that Storyton was hosting and that was where/when the murder took place and the story started. The slow start is why I can't give it more than 3 stars.

I was somewhat intrigued with the idea that there is a secret library that is guarded by the family and staff at Storyton, but not enough to deliberately seek out other books in the series. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 18, 2017 |
Murder in the Paperback Parlor is the second in the Book Retreat Mysteries. I'm really enjoying this series. It's about Jane Steward who has come up with an idea to help save her beloved Storyton Hall (which by the way I want to live at or at least visit) by hosting theme week-long events. This time around to help celebrate Valentine's Day it's a romance week featuring Regency Romance fans and authors - the problem is that the most popular author, who has given all those present an ARC of her newest book; has been found dead. Who did it? There are more suspects then there are chocolates and roses after all the ARC has alienated even her most ardent fan, her publicist is more a gopher than getting closer to the publishing business and her biggest rival is also at the conference.

This is an entertaining read. I love the main character. Jane is warm, giving and has strength not often seen in books without the woman appearing cold or standoffish (similar to Ms. Adam's Olivia character from the Books by the Bay series - although she's warming up). The rest of the characters are also entertaining. My only issue with this story (and different then the last one which I'll explain) is that the attendees were so willing to stay after the murder - and what pacified them? A male model competition - what does that say about these romance fans?!? This also happened in the first book, well not the male model reason, but the fact that they stayed. I thought it fit better because it was a Murder Mystery weekend - that makes sense, all those guests had to find out "who did it". But this really was pretty minor compared to my enjoyment of the rest of the book. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
I wavered between 3.5 and 4 stars on this one: there were enough copywriting errors to get my attention, but I like the mystery the author is creating around the romantic interest and there isn't a love triangle, so ultimately, I went with 4 stars.

This series has faint shades of The Librarian to it, which makes it a fun kind of unrealistic and it's set in a hotel that caters to bibliophiles which makes me kind of want to swoon.

The mystery centers around a week long retreat for romance readers and the star author is murdered. Trying to tie things up quickly so as to avoid a PR disaster, Jane and her 'team' race to find out why someone would want the author dead. The plot was ok; it wasn't without mystery but it wasn't a real puzzler either. I found the character development, along with references to other books, to be the most interesting part of the story.

I'll definitely stick with this series and one of these days I am going to go to one of the fabulous places out there that cater to book lovers. The only issue is, I just might never leave. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 12, 2016 |
For my friends Maggie Tuckley and Barb Buckbee "It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words, but rather short, easy words like 'what about lunch?'"--A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
"You expect me to break that with my bare hand?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425265609, Mass Market Paperback)

The New York Times bestselling Book Retreat mysteries feature Storyton Hall, the perfect getaway for literature lovers—except when a guest tries to get away with murder…

With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, Jane Steward is organizing a week of activities for fans of love stories at her book-themed resort. But her Regency readers barely have time to brush up on their Jane Austen before tragedy strikes Storyton Hall. Rosamund York, one of the most celebrated authors in attendance, is killed.

Rosamund had as many enemies as she did admirers, including envious fellow novelists, a jealous former lover, and dozens of angry fans. It’s up to Jane, with the help of her book club, the Cover Girls, to catalogue the list of suspects and find a heartless killer quickly—before the murderer writes someone else off…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:32 -0400)

"With Valentine's Day just around the corner, Jane Steward is organizing a week of activities for fans of love stories at her book-themed resort. But her Regency readers barely have time to brush up on their Jane Austen before tragedy strikes Storyton Hall. Rosamund York, one of the most celebrated authors in attendance, is killed. Rosamund had as many enemies as she did admirers, including envious fellow novelists, a jealous former lover, and dozens of angry fans. It's up to Jane, with the help of her book club, the Cover Girls, to catalogue the list of suspects and find a heartless killer quickly--before the murderer writes someone else off."--provided from Amazon.com.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible