In The Air Tonight (Sisters of the Craft) by…

In The Air Tonight (Sisters of the Craft)

by Lori Handeland

Always feeling like an outsider in her family and her community due to her dark hair and habit of seeing ghosts, the heroine lives with the daily curse of seeing dead people all around her. She's learned to lie and tell people she doesn't see anything but they hound her regardless. The hero is a savey detective brought up from New Orleans to investigate a homicide whose MO matching a serial killer he's hunting. Tortured with the memory of his dead daughter, the hero is relentless in his pursuit of the criminal in every single one of his cases. As a result, he's amassed quite a horde of ghosts that haunt him. Too bad he's adamantly denying the existence of such things. The two hit it off quite quickly but with the heroine fear of the hero's reaction to her 'gift' she keeps quiet about the fact that his daughter is haunting him, unable to cross over until he's happy. It broke my heart to read about how she died and the very real, bone deep pain the hero lives with everyday made me truly fall in love with his character. He was funny and passionate about helping people regardless of his own safety and he kept his pain a secret, not wanting to burden anyone with it but at the same time wanting no one to know about his guilt. I truly loved this book. From start to finish I was captured by the genuine feelings every character depicted. The heroine's troubled relationship with her father, the curse of seeing things that sometimes disturb or unsettle her. She was a real person. She wasn't superwoman- but she held her one. Plus she was so funny. This had so much of the old charm Lori Handeland's night creature books had but with the added bonus of reading some of the book through the hero's point of view. Most times it's the heroine so it was nice to sometimes see inside his mind and read about what he was thinking. I thought this book was amazing and I can't wait until the next in the series. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
"5 out of 5 stars! A little over four hundred years ago, while being burned at the stake two witches (a husband and wife) do one final spell that sends their triplet baby daughters into time in hopes of finding a place when witchcraft won’t be a crime and they’ll be “safe.” The spell works ….

Throughout her life, Raye (Rachel) has been able to see and speak to ghosts. However, when she was five year old, and overheard her adopted father talk about how he didn’t like it and wanted to “send her back,” she learned that talking to ghosts wasn’t normal and did everything in her power to stop. Now at the age of twenty-seven she might still hide her “gift” but knows that it won’t go away.

One-day Raye’s “normal” life suddenly changes when a unique murder happens downtown and homicide detective Bobby (Robert) rushes into her life. In some ways things go from bad to worse while in others things get better but as sparks start to fly between Bobby and Raye other forces try to keep them apart, can they work things out between each other or will their pasts mess up what they want for their futures?

This unexpected paranormal thriller hooked me with Raye’s sarcastic personality, its fun witty plot, its suspenseful ways, and the growing relationship that Bobby & Raye share. Spectacular!"

Read more of my review and THREE TEASERS here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2015/06/idolizing-in-sisters-of-craft-... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Received via NetGalley from St. Martin's Press in exchange for an honest and completely unbiased review.

Also posted on Silk & Serif

I don't even know where to start. I have a long history as a teenager with an interest in occult literature, folklore and YA Novels. I at one time adored witch books because it was a world where magic was real and dreary, mundane world could melt away to give birth to one where anything was possible. In The Air Tonight surprisingly transported me to a world where magic existed on a smaller, more realistic scale. The main characters were people I could identify with regardless the fact that we live in completely different worlds. I work in a boring office or a fast food joint on the daily, I am in no way a cop or a kindergarten teacher. I am a chunky white girl who has absolutely no Haitian ancestry or adoration for children (seriously, put me in a small room with kids for an hour and bad things happen), yet the characters were ones I could relate to like old friends.

I want to include here that I adored the fact that the main character did not have parents. She didn't complain, victimize herself or place blame on others. She said "so I was abandoned and unwanted, but that doesn't make me worthless". She moved on with her life: bad ass!

Obviously, as a romance book, there were sex scenes. I was a bit leery of sex scenes concerning magic. Would it be like A Discovery of Witches where her powers go amok? Or would it get over the top like The Trouble Maker Next Door? Would I be skipping up to fifty pages of sex in this book to get back the story line? Nope! The scenes were tasteful, realistic and to the minimum. Once the main character and the hero get together it doesn't take over the book, and we still have concentration on the mysterious killer who marks his victims with a brand.

The crime mystery portion of the book is fantastic as well. I don't want to spoil it for readers, but it includes an ancient order and prejudices. Handeland keeps most of the huge breakthroughs until midway or near the end of the book with breadcrumbs for the readers to lead themselves to the killer. I love a romance with a bit of real mystery writing.

Finally, I want to include that although this is a book about a woman who finds her heritage as a witch, there is only sprinkles of "witchery" throughout. Refreshing! Bobby and Raye must figure out who is killing witches the old-fashioned way. No need for crazy spells, incantations or telekinesis! Raye also must hide her ability to see ghosts from Bobby, who has his own dark past with psychics.

This book will appeal to readers who enjoy paranormal romance, witch or occult novels, fun novels and simple mystery novels. Well worth the read if you want something paranormal without too much saturation. ( )
  trigstarom | Sep 19, 2015 |
In the Air Tonight is the first book that I have read by Handeland, but it definitely won't be the last. This book is the perfect start for a new series with a great introduction to these three sisters, and while it answers some questions it leaves the reader with enough questions to make them want to read book two. I loved both main characters which were both well developed, and I think that Raye and Bobby were the perfect match for each other. The book has many twists and turns, and I enjoyed how Handeland combined romance, humor, mystery, intrigue and the paranormal. Overall In the Air Tonight was a great read that I would most definitely recommend, and I look forward to reading the next book in this series as well as more by this author.

Received a copy of In the Air Tonight through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Sable677 | Jul 20, 2015 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

This book is solidly two interrelated stories: one a love story and the other urban fantasy with ghosts, witches, and evil hunters. I enjoyed both, but my favorite was the witch story.

The complexities of being an outsider in a small town because Raye’s adopted then further because she has the ability to see and speak with ghosts were wonderful. The little side stories like Stafford the ghost with his mischief and how the children could see him too gave the story an unexpected depth. This only grew as Bobby, the lawman from out of town come to help investigate an unusual murder, turned out to have his own hauntings.

Raye’s connection with her world and how matter of fact she’s become about it was fun while her attraction to Bobby was strong from the start, as was her determination to avoid letting him know what she could do. I liked how she balanced hiding her ability with helping the ghosts she saw. She might have wished to be normal, but she didn’t use that as an excuse to ignore those in need, live or not. Everyone kind of knew she had something special going on, but they didn’t make a big deal out of it or they’d have to face it. Like when she gives a clue and the sheriff shrugs and accepts it, saying only Raye knows things.

The one piece that didn’t work as well for me was the danger. It didn’t fit the rest of the tone and happened so quickly it never felt pressing. However, that’s as much a bonus as a detriment to my mind.

This could have been just another serial killer story. It’s not.

In the Air Tonight is more complicated and more interesting than “just” anything in part because it is full of well-drawn people. It also doesn’t dwell on the gore beyond necessary clues, and trust me, there’s gore to be had if Handeland wanted to go in that direction.

The sex is explicit, but only to a normal contemporary romance level and fits the situation nicely. Bobby offers Raye something she’s never had: a lover she didn’t grow up with. As much as she’s determined to see him as a fling, it’s clear there’s more to them than that.

So, interesting characters, good environment, and fun events. Yes, I’m looking forward to the next one.

P.S. I received this title from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  MarFisk | Jun 21, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible