Fates and Furies: A Novel by Lauren Groff

Fates and Furies: A Novel (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Lauren Groff (Author)

2,2011614,378 (3.6)199
Member:missjomarch
Title:Fates and Furies: A Novel
Authors:Lauren Groff (Author)
Info:Riverhead Books (2015), Edition: First Edition, 400 pages

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (2015)

The Marriage Plot: A Novel by Jeffrey Eugenides (tralliott)
    The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: Both have protagonists that use rare artworks to get what they want and execute their plan over many years
    Poison: A Novel by Susan Fromberg Schaeffer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These literary domestic fiction novels examine the nature of married love and the inner thoughts and perceptions of family members as they interact. Both are character-driven and portray the importance of perception and expectation in marriage.… (more)
    Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller (Anonymous user)

English (159)  Piratical (1)  Latvian (1)  All languages (161)
One of the many reasons I admire Lauren Groff is her total inability to shy away from a narrative challenge. She saw the way in which the story of a strong, difficult marriage should be told; that the truest portrait of a marriage must reveal all the scars and injuries and oddities, all of them, in each individual as well as in the relationship (which is kind of a two-headed character, as well); and she put it all on the page. It gets so ugly and loud that it's hard to look at. But it doesn't resolve in regret. ( )
  deeEhmm | Apr 3, 2019 |
Well that was unexpected. I thought I knew what I'd got and I wasn't that excited by it until half way through where the whole thing turns inside out. The first half was so ordinary though. I was as close to giving up a book as I have been in years. Redeemed by the infinitely more palatable second half, I was still overwhelmed by the book's unevenness and imbalance. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
It's an excellent book, very readable, enjoyable, well written.
It is a book that expands the discussion of what a family is all about, or what should well-built relationships look. The book also presents what kind of secrets exist in normal family life, or the price that is willing to pay for its secrets - definitely this book does it well - you won't hear it a lot of me, but this one highly recommended. ( )
  AmandaParker | Feb 20, 2019 |
Simple review here:
1. Boring story
2. Unbelievable characters
3. Outrageous writing style
The story is utterly boring and completely inconceivable at times. Especially the whole leech episode... disgusting!!!
The characters are annoying at best and completely unbelievable in a real life circumstance. Not to mention unrelatable.
but the one thing that I couldn't get passed in this novel was the writing style. Lauren Groff writes this book in the form of a Shakespearean sonnet only written badly. I'm sorry but I did not find it beautiful in any way and in fact found it extremely difficult for the reader to follow. If you're going to write a poem that is one thing if you are going to write a novel that is a completely different thing. In this case I think the author should have considered her audience a bit more.
That's all I've got for you on this one guys. Just, bad! ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Feb 9, 2019 |
I am not sure what I thought of this book. I was confused at some of it. I liked the second half better, but still felt it odd. Story of Lotto and his wife, told in Fates (Lotto) and Furies (his wife). ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
‘Fates and Furies,’’ Lauren Groff’s pyrotechnic new novel, tells the story of a marriage and of marriage writ large. It is also an exploration of character — good, evil, flat, round, genetic, forged by circumstance, all of the above — and a wild play upon literary history. Groff grafts the contemporary fiction of suburban anomie and New York manners onto künstlerroman, myth, and epic in a dazzling fusion of classic and (post)modern, tragedy and comedy.

Lauren Groff is a writer of rare gifts, and “Fates and Furies” is an unabashedly ambitious novel that delivers — with comedy, tragedy, well-deployed erudition and unmistakable glimmers of brilliance throughout.

The novel tells the story of Lotto and Mathilde Satterwhite. He is the darling of a prosperous Florida family – “Lotto was special. Golden”. She, an apparent “ice princess”, is the survivor of a past about which her husband has only the fuzziest idea beyond it being “sad and dark”, and above all “blank behind her”. The first half of the book offers Lotto’s view of their life together as he rises from charming but failed actor to celebrated playwright, thanks in no small part to Mathilde’s editorial finesse. The second half reveals that Mathilde has, through implacable willpower, transcended circumstances that read like a hotchpotch of Greek tragedy, fable and detective novel. Much of what Lotto takes for granted in his good fortune, it turns out, is due to Mathilde’s ruthless machination, right down to their marriage itself. She genuinely loves him, but she initially set out to win him for mercenary reasons.

Lotto’s story is fairly plausible, a life that might transpire in the world the rest of us inhabit; Mathilde’s story contains more outlandishly fictional twists than those of David Copperfield, The Goldfinch’s Theo Decker, and Becky Sharp combined.

For Clay
[Of course]
A thick drizzle from the sky, like a curtain's sudden sweeping.
Hot milk of a world, with its skin of morning fog in the window.
In her sleep her eyelids were so translucent that he always thought if he looked hard, he could see her dreams pulsing like jellyfish across her brain.

"From the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of The Monsters of Templeton and Arcadia, an exhilarating novel about marriage, creativity, art, and perception. Fates and Furies is a literary masterpiece that defies expectation. A dazzling examination of a marriage, it is also a portrait of creative partnership written by one of the best writers of her generation. Every story has two sides. Every relationship has two perspectives. And sometimes, it turns out, the key to a great marriage is not its truths but its secrets. At the core of this rich, expansive, layered novel, Lauren Groff presents the story of one such marriage over the course of twenty-four years. At age twenty-two, Lotto and Mathilde are tall, glamorous, madly in love, and destined for greatness. A decade later, their marriage is still the envy of their friends, but with an electric thrill we understand that things are even more complicated and remarkable than they have seemed. With stunning revelations and multiple threads, and in prose that is vibrantly alive and original, Groff delivers a deeply satisfying novel about love, art, creativity, and power that is unlike anything that has come before it. Profound, surprising, propulsive, and emotionally riveting, it stirs both the mind and the heart"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,827,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible