Head Lice (Disgusting Creatures) by Elise…

Head Lice (Disgusting Creatures)

by Elise Gravel

After receiving The Spider from Tundra Books, I happened upon an ebook copy of Head Lice from Netgalley and had to read it. I really enjoyed The Spider and wanted to read this one as well.

Head Lice is again a non-fiction book about a disgusting creature, a louse. Now where The Spider is cutesy and fun and information I still couldn't help but scratch my head the whole time I was reading about head lice... (ick). The pictures were cute and the character again inserts his funny little quips with each fact about him/her, but I liked the spider more.

This book was still very informative and will teach children about how head lice spreads - if it needs to be discussed this would be a great teaching tool. Cute, fun and informative. I again enjoyed Elise Gravel's take on a disgusting critter. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, Elise Gravel has done it again. Through her Disgusting creatures series she has made us “kind of” feel warm and fuzzy about head lice. Like the book The Slug, young readers learn about head lice habitats (human heads only, dogs are gross) anatomy (his body is slightly see through, so he can always see what he ate for lunch-ha-ha), and parenting practice (the female louse glues her eggs to human hair). Very silly and off-the-wall, Head Lice contains factual information about lice (including that they have no real purpose!) which may be helpful to families that are dealing with the unnecessary feeling of shame about having lead lice. The only negative is that some of the text is a light color and gets lost in the background. A 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Apr 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another great book in Elise Gravel's Disgusting Creatures series! I love these little books - I got an earlier one, The Slug, last year for my nephew. Sometimes it can be hard to find books for little boys - not that both boys and girls interested in bugs wouldn't like this series. The characters are great, the things the Head Lice says are quite funny, and it really humanizes bugs and "gross" creatures that kids would otherwise maybe be scared of or find disgusting. My nephew loved the Slug one, and I can't wait to give him Head Lice next - not literally, haha! ( )
  lefthandeddrawing | Apr 3, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a cute book in Elise Gravel's "Disgusting Critters" series. The illustrations are funny and should interest children, while the text (especially the comments by the louse) has some humor for the adults that might be reading the book aloud, yet is simple enough for many early readers to comprehend.

I agree with a teacher reviewer that the last page, rather than advising running away if you see a louse (they ARE hard to see), could instead reminded children not to share hats, combs, and other items that come in contact with their hair and heads, and possibly add information about treatments for head lice.

This book is a definite addition to my university library's curriculum collection, used by future teachers, as this is definitely a disgusting creature they will undoubtedly encounter in their careers.

© Amanda Pape - 2015

[I received this hardbound edition from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. It will be added to the curriculum collection at my university library.] ( )
1 vote rdg301library | Mar 30, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another charming addition to the Disgusting Creatures series! Cute, really, not gross at all, so don't be put off by the subject matter. Perfect way to get reluctant readers excited about books. My 8 and 10 year old boys got a giggle out of it and said they learned new information. Quirky illustrations!

The only negative I can think of is that we all agree it would have been nice to have an extra page on how to get rid of lice! (Beyond running away from a louse saying, "Boo!")
  HannahJo | Mar 21, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elise Gravel's book Head Lice was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,080,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible