The Walking Dead, Volume 23: Whispers Into…

The Walking Dead, Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams

by Robert Kirkman

An entire issue with hardly any Rick - nice change of pace. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Carl has gone to live at The Hilltop, where Maggie has taken charge. Some people are good with this arrangement, and some aren't. The security men discover that walkers are whispering to each other, and this leads to Carl losing...something important. ( )
  mstrust | Sep 5, 2016 |
This episode puts Carl Grimes front and center as he moves to Maggie’s hilltop town to train as a blacksmith. He gets into trouble by using excess force when two local boys try to harm his friend, Sophia. With Sophia unconscious, there is no one to back up his story. These boy’s parents want both Carl severely punished and, with Gregory’s prompting, they also want Maggie deposed as the leader of the community.

Meanwhile Jesus is on a patrol and they get attacked by Walkers who appear to be able to use weapons and talk. Jesus manages to capture one of these Walkers but when they get back to town, he realizes that she is just wearing a “dead” suit and is, in fact, a sixteen year old girl called Lydia. Carl and Lydia bond. She doesn’t want to go back to her people, but Maggie arranges a trade in order to get a couple of her own people returned. A sad Lydia leaves with her people. Carl is upset and the last page of the book shows us Carl about to set off into the wilderness after Lydia.

I enjoyed this new direction that the story has taken and I look forward to finding out what happens to Carl as well as whether Maggie will be able to stay in control. Also, I am sure Rick will have something to say about Carl’s wandering off. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 8, 2016 |
In the first few volumes I didn't fully understand the point of having it all in black and white but, especially with this volume, I both understood and appreciated it. The black and white art work allows there to be a feeling of distance between the reader in the present and the characters surviving years into the zombie apocalypse. What makes the Walking Dead unique is that it gives insight into the "what now?" at the end of the typical apocalypse film. This particular volume is even further down the road, years since the first onset. I appreciated that there was a time gap, allowing the characters, especially the younger ones, time to age and mature. Because Rick's group has grown so much, the story jumps around allowing the reader to see into what everyone is doing, building on the suspense of when shit finally hits the fan (as it always does). Really enjoyed this volume and I look forward to the future issues. ( )
  TrekkieChickReads | Feb 9, 2016 |
Do not read this review if you haven't read this set of comics!

After recently discovering this comic series at the beginning of this year, I had a short break before resuming with this volume. Lots of trials and tribulations are affecting the newly civilised society of survivors and there is a new villian... 'The Whisperers'

I especially loved the 'Romeo and Juliet' storyline between Carl and Lydia. I am a sucker for unconventional romances... Lydia seems to be quite damaged, licking Carl's eye socket was just pretty gross.

In short Maggie has a near-miss with a pretty weak and pathetic assassination attempt, 'The Whisperers' get by wearing Roamer skins and living a decidedly tribal lifestyle - how they manage to avoid infection from wearing those disgusting skins is beyond me.

There is still no sign of Michonne and just barely a glimpse of Rick - it is safe to say the storyline is strongly revolving around community squabbles and Carl. I am loving Jesus as always though, he is still badass. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |

A new threat has emerged from within the walker hordes, catching the communities off guard. The time for peace and prosperity is over as a new fight for survival begins.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,652,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible