The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick…

The Rest of Us Just Live Here

by Patrick Ness

I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did, but well, that's what happened: I liked it a lot. It's not the best book I have ever read, but I enjoyed the story and the characters thoroughly.

It's not just a story about the people who have to watch and wait and wonder while the heros go save the world. It's not just a story about mentally ill teenagers being there for each other in a scarily supernatural world. It's both, and that combination works out great. I cared deeply for all the main characters.

I really like how the distinction of indie kids versus everyone else doesn't quite hold up, too. And that Mike doesn't let Jared magic-heal his OCD, at least not yet, not while he can handle it with non-magic means. ( )
  kthxy | Dec 8, 2018 |
Sensaciones encontradas con este libro. Lo he disfrutado y me ha tenido enganchada durante su lectura aunque la historia es bastante plana. Trata temas complejos, aunque de una manera algo superficial. Le pongo un 3/5 que sería un 6'5/10. Reseña completa: https://cafedetinta.com/2018/09/05/los-demas-seguimos-aqui-de-patrick-ness/ ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |
I am super excited to discuss this book in book-club. (Also excited that I am 3 months ahead on book club reads). This is a funny yet touching read on what would usually be the teens in the background of the other popular YA novels. "Everyone has their thing". ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
3.75-4 ( )
  ThatOneLibrarian | Aug 18, 2018 |
"Everything's ending. But everything's also beginning."
The first word in my mind is "strange".
However not a simple strange, but an interesting, curious, sometimes nonsense, emotional one.
I'm used to the particular style of this author and I enjoy it a lot, though this time I'm a bit disappointed. Could the story have been better? A lot.
Could it have been worse? Hell yeah.
The fact is that there are two points of view at the same time, which is not a problem per se. However the first one (the indi kids) is a little bit neglected even if they're quite important since they're the one who fight against the Immortals, while the second one (Michael) is much more detailed. In a certain way they seem two completely different stories at certain points.
Anyway, many important things are said about teenagers and the complexity of this age, but the importance stays in the fact that the teenagers themselves are the ones who speak about it and find a solution. Temporary, of course, but always a solution. Kind of comforting, don't you think? ( )
  Shay17 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I thought I could organise freedom.
How Scandinavian of me.
- Bjork
For my own excellent sister,
Melissa Anne Brown, who's both kind and funny,
the best possible combination.
On the day we're the last people to see indi kid Finn alive, we're all sprawled together in the Field, talking about love and stomachs.
The indie kids, huh? You've got them at your school, too. That group with the cool-geek haircuts and the charity shop clothes and names from the fifties. Nice enough, never mean, but always the ones who end up being the Chosen One when the vampires come calling or when the alien queen needs the Source of All Light or something. They're too cool to ever, ever do anything like go to prom or listen to music other than jazz while reading poetry. They've always got some story going on that they're heroes of. The rest of us just have to live here, hovering around the edges, left out of it all, for the most part.

Award-winning writer Patrick Ness's bold and irreverent novel powerfully asks what if you weren't the Chosen One? The one who's supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death? What if you were like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again. Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week's end of the world and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life. Even if your best friend might just be the God of mountain lions...An exceptional novel from the author praised by John Green as "an insanely beautiful writer".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:47 -0400)

What if you aren't the Chosen One? The one who's supposed to fight the zombies, or the soul-eating ghosts, or whatever the heck this new thing is, with the blue lights and the death? What if you're like Mikey? Who just wants to graduate and go to prom and maybe finally work up the courage to ask Henna out before someone goes and blows up the high school. Again. Because sometimes there are problems bigger than this week's end of the world, and sometimes you just have to find the extraordinary in your ordinary life. Even if your best friend is worshiped by mountain lions.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,649,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible