Shadow Play by Iris Johansen

Shadow Play

by Iris Johansen

I do seem to have some weird knack to start reading the last published book in a series lately. Shadow Play is book 19 in the Eve Duncan series, but it was super easy to get into this book and get the basic fact about Eve Duncan, Joe Quinn, Margaret Douglas and Bonnie.

Eve Duncan is a forensic sculptor and she is sent the skull of a young old girl that was found buried eight years in the forest. But it seems that the killer hasn't forgotten her and soon Eve is in danger and it seems that somewhere out there is another little girl in danger and Eve must now try with the help of her friends and the ghost of the dead girl help try to find out who the killer is and who his next target is...

I really liked this book. It was fast-paced, it had an interesting story. I liked the characters and it wasn't too much romance in it. And, I loved the paranormal part of the story. The story had just the perfect blend of thriller and paranormal. And, not too much focus on sex. Eve and Joe may be a couple, but they don't have several pages of graphic sex. Sometimes I think books lose the focus and miss the fact that a good story and well-written characters are the most importing thing. Or perhaps it has something to do with that I can't stand Erotica.

Anyway, I was curious about this series and decided to give the book series a shot when I saw this book was available at NetGalley to request. The story was really engrossing and I could hardly stop reading the book. I will only read one chapter more and suddenly had I been reading an hour. I really liked the mystery of the book. I liked that it wasn't an obvious story that it surprised me from time to time.

I'm really glad that I read this book and I'm looking forward to reading the previous 19 books!

Thanks to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 10, 2017 |
This is the 19th Eve Duncan book and the stories keep pulling you in.

Eve Duncan is a forensic sculptor, she gives a face to skulls of children who have been found murdered hoping that he killers will be caught and brought to justice, also bringing closure to their loved one. When she gets a phone call from a sheriff in California she agrees to work on the skull of a 9 year old because he is so compassionate about the case. Once she has the skull in her possession, it begins to speak to her as she works. Eve is taken aback at first as this has never happened before, but eventually, she and "Jenny" come to an understanding and they work together, first to create her face, and secondly to bring her murderer to justice. Jenny can't remember much at first but she insists that Eve was meant to help her find out what happened to her.

The characters in this story is what pulls me to read each new book in the series. Eve and Joe have a relationship that has developed over the years. They have worked together, eventually married and continue to work together. They finish each other's sentences and thoughts. Their love is very strong and they will do anything for each other, including putting their own lives in danger. Appearances or mentions are made of Jane, their adopted daughter, and Kendra Michaels who has helped them in previous adventures. Once again we meet Margaret, who is able to communicate with animals and she helps them out in meeting up with a coyote near the grave where Jenny's skull was found. Sheriff Nalchez, the officer who originally reached out to Eve, has a storyline of his own and suspicions about him continue right until the end of the book.

The pace of this story is fast and it is riveting. It's a page turner as Ms. Johansen adds layers of complexity with each new clue revealed. The twists and turns in this story keep the story interesting. The different threads in the story are nicely woven together into a satisfying conclusion. Many things in this book are rather hard to believe and probably wouldn't happen in real life as other reviewers have stated, but that is why it is fiction. I very much enjoyed this story. Recommended for suspense readers who enjoy paranormal activity.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 2, 2016 |
GREAT BOOK LOVE THE WHOLE SERIES
  lilred99 | Jun 7, 2016 |
Shadow Play by Iris Johansen is the nineteenth book in the Eve Duncan series (wow!). Eve Duncan, a forensic sculptor, receives a call from Sheriff John Nalchek (from Sonderville, California) asking Eve to do a reconstruction for him. They just found the body of a nine-year-old little girl. She has been buried for about eight years. He would like Eve to put the little girl ahead of her other cases. Eve understands because of the loss of her daughter, Bonnie. Eve agrees and starts work on the skull when she receives it. For some reason, Eve feels drawn to this skull and then she starts hearing the little girls voice (Eve calls her Jenny). The girls spirit is still around (this has not happened with any other reconstruction since Bonnie). She does not know why (yet). But someone does not want Eve to complete the reconstruction. The killer is watching. When the reconstruction, note, and photos are all stolen, Eve and her significant other, Joe Quinn (a police officer) head to California. They insist on helping the sheriff with his case. Eve cannot let this case go. The killer is keeping a close eye because he does not wish to be caught. Can Eve catch the killer and help Jenny move on?

Shadow Play can be read as a stand-alone book, but it would help if you read the other books in the series (to understand Eve, the relationships, etc.). I enjoyed Shadow Play, but I felt it went on a little too long. I liked the paranormal element, but it was not used enough in the story (found it a little lacking). The book is well-written and engaging. You keep reading to find out what happens next. It just got a little slow in the middle (it was just too long). I give Shadow Play 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it). I will definitely be reading more of Iris Johansen’s books.

I received a complimentary copy of Shadow Play in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Feb 8, 2016 |
This has been my favorite Eve Duncan novel in a long time. This one flowed so nicely. I am looking forward to many more novels with Eve, Quinn and all the others. Keep them coming. I received a copy if this book from Thereadingroom for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jan 31, 2016 |

"Eve Duncan is the most sought-after artist in the field of forensic sculpting. Dedicated to her work ever since her daughter Bonnie was taken and killed at the age of seven, Eve feels a sense of duty to those whose lives were lost and whose bones are now in her hands. When a sheriff in California contacts her with a request for help on the reconstruction of the skull of a nine-year-old girl whose body has been buried for eight years, his intensity and investment in the case puzzle her. But when the ghost of the girl begins communicating with her, Eve finds herself wrapped up in the case more intensely than she could have ever imagined. Not since Bonnie has Eve had such an experience, and suddenly she finds herself determined to solve the murder and help the little girl find peace. Except that the killer is still out there, and he knows Eve is on the case. And he won't rest until anything and anyone that could reveal his identity is eliminated.."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,739,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible