Black Science Volume 2: Welcome, Nowhere by…

Black Science Volume 2: Welcome, Nowhere

by Rick Remender, Matteo Scalera (Foreword)

The Anarchist League of Scientists are back at it again! This time, they’ve lost their leader, Grant McKay, to their time travelling invention, the Pillar. We find the gang in yet another precarious situation in a random world where they’ve been tied up and are set for sacrifice. Then the guy we all wrote off as the villain, swops in and saves the day! However, they can’t seem to manage to stay together during the rescue. Pia and Nate end up falling from a cliff and becoming separated from the crew. Will they manage to find the rest of the group and make it back before the Pillar launches the next jump?

This collection of issues #7-11 focus on Pia and Nate, who vent over the loss of their father and the very different relationships they had with him. Nate still believes his father is a hero, while Pia can only see him as the family destroying cheater. As they make their journey back to the team, we also get a glimpse into Rebecca’s childhood, which opens the reader’s eyes to understand why she is torn apart over losing Grant’s kids, aside from being his mistress.

Through the issues the Shaman reveals that he has seen the very same Pillar a long time ago. It was brought to his world by a mysterious traveler. While initially used for great good for the world and his people, the Pillar quickly brought greed and disaster. As we continue to learn more about the Pillar, it appears that perhaps the time jumps aren’t as random as the scientists originally believed.

Volume 2 disappoints when compared to the first volume. The story becomes muddled with the focus on Pia and Nate. The glimpses into the past of the other group members were more of an intriguing storyline for me. I want to get to know them more and discover their motivations behind what landed them in this tumultuous journey. The artwork remains stunning throughout volume 2, with its vibrant colors and exotic creature creations. I greatly enjoy the premise behind Remender’s series and will continue to tag along with the Anarchist League of Scientists in volume 3. ( )
  jess_reads_books | Jul 13, 2017 |
2.5 stars, rounded down

The drop-off between the storyline of [b:Black Science, Vol. 1: How to Fall Forever|20881139|Black Science, Vol. 1 How to Fall Forever|Rick Remender|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1410031362s/20881139.jpg|40221511] and this second volume is quite shocking. I'm not sure why that happened, but the second doesn't even come close to the quality of the first.

I have the ARC for [b:Black Science, Vol. 3: Vanishing Point|25570630|Black Science, Vol. 3 Vanishing Point|Rick Remender|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1433924101s/25570630.jpg|45370533], but I'm not sure I want to jump into it now. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
Brilliant art but a confusing story-line as the author sometimes gets so into his analogies it's hard to fully understand what is happening, the art drives the story better than the words a lot of the time. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Got a little confused around the middle of this one but then started to remember what was happening. Again it was one long chase scene but what a wonderful chase. The art is amazing in concept and execution. In true Remender style there was an ongoing interior dialogue. Unfortunately sometimes I wasn't sure who was talking.

I also don't like the infinite versions of a person thing. It's kinda like time travel and I hate time travel in fiction. It can be used as a cheap plot device and can be really confusing. He doesn't seem to be totally abusing it here so I hope he keeps it that way. ( )
  ragwaine | Jul 7, 2015 |

Remender, RickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scalera, MatteoForewordmain authorall editionsconfirmed

In this second volume of the hit series, the Anarchist League of Scientists dives further into the Onion construct of reality than ever before, jumping wildly through worlds of wonder, fantastic beauty, and cosmic horrors. Beset on dangers from without and within, the team must learn to be a family if they're ever to survive and find their way home again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,171,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible