New Shoes by Susan Lynn Meyer

New Shoes

by Susan Lynn Meyer

This story about two girls finding their own ways to create equality. I think this would be a great read aloud to show that it doesn't matter your age, size or gender, you can create your own fate, even if others discriminate against you. Themes: Determination, equality, hard work.
  bault | Aug 15, 2017 |
I really love this book and how eager she was about th shoes ( )
  Charles123456 | Apr 12, 2017 |
Genre: Socio-political fiction
Age Appropriateness: 1st-5th
Media: Mixed media and oil colors on watercolor paper
Review/Critique:
Ella Mae finally gets to go to Johnson's shoe store to get a new pair of shoes, but once she gets there her skin color, once again, limits what she is allowed to do. In this case, instead of getting to try on a pair of shoes, she has to trace her feet as a way to figure out what size she is. After this frustrating experience, Ella Mae worked with her cousin, Charlotte, to get a collection of shoes so that they could open up their own shoe store. Once they had enough shoes, the two girls opened their "store" where anyone could try on shoes and the cost for the shoes was only 10 cents and a outgrown pair of shoes.

This is a good socio-political fiction book because the plot addresses the issues of racism and segregation at a easy-to-understand level for elementary students. The plot contains the elements of the socio-political issues, but explains them through a relatable story instead of just giving off facts.
  ebrink15 | Apr 5, 2017 |
I liked this book for several reasons. First, I liked the characters because they stand up for what they believe in. Ella, for example, went to the shoe store with her mom. In the store Ella was not allowed to try on any shoes because of her color skin, which she thought was unfair. Later on her and her cousin, Charlotte, go and have their own shoe sale for ten cents where anyone can try on shoes. I also liked the writing. I liked the writing because it flowed very simple, had the characters communicating with each other, and was an easy read with descriptive sentences. For example, on page 21 it says, " Then I scrunch up my hand inside, smoothing out all the wrinkles, and buff the shoes until they shine." Reading this it is a good visual what the character is doing even if I don't look at the page. The big idea of this book is to stand up for what you believe in and show others what you believe in. ( )
  Jclark36 | Mar 4, 2017 |
In “New Shoes,” we meet two girls, Ella May and Charlotte. They are living in the south in the 1950s.Any pair of shoes that Ella May has ever gotten had been passed down to her from Charlotte. This particular time, the shoes that Ella Ma receives is too small promoting a visit to Johnson's shoe store. Uno entering the store, a little white girl and her father walk in behind her. We learn that black folks often have to wait and are treated unfairly as opposed to white people. At the time of the book, blacks aren't even allowed to try on shoes in stores, but have to trace their foot and get shoes based off of the tracing. Ella May has never been to the shoe store, so she didn't understand why the white girl was able to try on the shoes but she couldn't. An upset Ella May tells Charlotte of her experience and decide to beat the system by opening up their own shoe store. They decide to do chores around the neighborhood, only asking for nickels and outgrown shoes in return. While reading this book, you realize even the small things that blacks weren't allowed to do. Btu it made me proud to know that kids as young as Ella May and Charlotte didn't allow their circumstances to hold them back, but to propel them forward. A young person reading this book could get the same message that I received. Just because things are the way they are doesn't mean they have to be. ( )
  CharleneMartin | Feb 13, 2017 |

Set in the South during the time of segregation, this lushly illustrated picture book brings the civil rights era to life for contemporary readers as two young girls find an inventive way to foil Jim Crow laws.

When her brother's hand-me-down shoes don't fit, it is time for Ella Mae to get new ones. She is ecstatic, but when she and her mother arrive at Mr. Johnson's shoe store, her happiness quickly turns to dejection. Ella Mae is unable to try on the shoes because of her skin color. Determined to fight back, Ella Mae and her friend Charlotte work tirelessly to collect and restore old shoes, wiping, washing, and polishing them to perfection. The girls then have their very own shoe sale, giving the other African American members of their community a place to buy shoes where they can be treated fairly and "try on all the shoes they want."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:16 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible