The Overcomers: A Novel by J.L. McKay

Author: J. L. McKay
Pages: 213
Year: 2014
Publisher: Creation House
Ma’ayan Bracha is an investigative journalist who lives in Texas with her teenage son. She meets an interesting man at one of her son’s soccer games. They begin to talk and he invites her to a meeting of some of his friends. She dreads the meeting will be a Bible study, but to her amazement she is introduced to a group of people who claim access to the Holy Spirit’s power in order to perform counterintelligence work. Their operatives have become the target of assassination by an unknown organization. The Overcomer Task Force has invited Ma’ayan to enter their world to write about them and what they do so the world will know about them. They have previously operated in the shadows and remained anonymous. Now, they want their organization known to all, but at what price?
Ma’ayan is originally from Israel, but came to the U.S. with her father and younger sister when she was eight years old. Her grandmother remained behind in Israel. With this new assignment, Ma’ayan will return to Israel and see her grandmother for the first time in 30 years. Her homecoming to Israel is sweet, but also dangerous.
I didn’t really connect with any of the characters in the story, which lessened my enjoyment of it. Some of the things the characters experienced also weren’t believable to me. I did enjoy reading about Israel’s history and culture. I thought the idea of tapping into the Holy Spirit’s power to live daily life and overcome trials an interesting and original premise for a story. I think this author has potential and would be interested in reading more from her.
My rating is 3 stars.
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jan 27, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,516,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible